General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Who is going to the MCACN in Rosemont Ill

Search this Thread

Old September 14th, 2011, 03:25 PM

Who is going to the MCACN in Rosemont Ill

I hope to take my car to the Muscle Car & Corvette Nationals, November 19-20th. Just checking to see how many new people from this group I will be able to meet at the event. Can you also give me feedback about the event from some of last years attendees.

I already know Ed will have his w-30, the number one 1970 Pace Car will be there and I tried to talk Steven into bring his W-30. I am 95% sure my old bucket of bolts will be there to make sure Oldsmobile continues to be recognized as a great car from the muscle car era.

Lee

1970 w-30
1971 w-30
1970 vista for sale
Old September 14th, 2011, 03:53 PM

I was there last year and the show is awesome. Not sure I'll be bringing a car this year or not. But I plan to attend as a spectator, worst case.
Old September 14th, 2011, 06:26 PM

jr supercar.........what is your name?
Old September 14th, 2011, 07:43 PM
71 & 72,now I want a 68

I'll be attending as a spectator. Really regret not knowing about the show last year till it was over.
Old September 14th, 2011, 08:10 PM

That's at Donnely Hall, correct? Let's get together, go across the street to the Rivers, and try to win your entry fee back. Looking forward to seeing you there, it's on my calender.
Old September 14th, 2011, 08:17 PM

I am going to have to win big because my entry fee also includes shipping a car from California.

Lee
Old September 15th, 2011, 06:16 AM

I just saw a Red 71 W30 convertible will be part of the featured 71 cars. I'll see if I can enter my car - not sure its "p to standards" though - I would think it would be too late anyway
Old September 15th, 2011, 07:42 AM

Hi Steven.......You are too close to not show your car.

You can still register and we will have another Classicoldsmobile.com person showing off. The beauty of the judging is you will get a list of things to bring the car to as delivered. You can choose to make the changes or not but the list is priceless. The judges are really top notch at this event. But be aware they will be looking for rust and pitting even on the frame and everywhere they can look.

At the Nationals I lost three of my 8 points for having the wrong screws in the trunk molding and a couple points for dings in my door sill plates. I used the experience to fix the items that were incorrect. At the MCACN the judging is more thorough so I will get people inside and under my car looking at the detail. You can also show and not have the car judged but it is better to see what is incorrect on your car. I hope you decide to bring your car. The attendees and event is supposed to be top notch.

Lee
Old September 15th, 2011, 08:25 AM

Steve knows what is and isn't wrong with his car. And I'm helping him fix some of the things. But I would recommend show and not judged, especially after what he's gone through with the car.

Lee, I'm looking forward to seeing another car restored by Gary Riley.

Judging at OCA and MCACN are completely different.

Chris
Old September 15th, 2011, 12:26 PM

$200 judged $50 to show.....By October 20 2011 I just checked

Lee
Old September 15th, 2011, 01:13 PM

Hmm, $200 to tell me what's wrong with my car when I hear that for free at every car show I go to, no thanks. And as Chris says I already know 95% of whats wrong. If I was closer to having it done I'd love to have it judged. I'll see about entering it though, my car is far from perfect but I've seen other cars at this show and other high end shows that are way farther off then mine.

P.S. not only did the shop use different screws on my door sills they closed the door with a screw laying on it and it drove the screw right into the sill, punched a hole right through it, they didn't even notice it. I had to pull the screw out myself. Thank goodness they were repo sills and not the near mint originals I have.

Last edited by stevengerard; September 15th, 2011 at 01:16 PM.
Old September 15th, 2011, 07:37 PM

I guess I'm not alone....

Originally Posted by stevengerard
Hmm, $200 to tell me what's wrong with my car when I hear that for free at every car show I go to, no thanks.
LOL....exactly. Let me pay YOU $200 to hear an opinion from someone I could care
less about what they have to say. No thanks. I see this MCACN as nothing more
then someone who found a way to profit off other people's cars and hard work.

There's 100's of ginormous car gatherings all over Chicagoland all summer long for free.
Costs $50 for my wife and I to park and see this particular MCACN show.
We went once at McCormick and once at the Rosemont.

We don't go anymore because I don't feel it's worth paying for when there's so many
free shows to attend all summer long.

Last edited by Aceshigh; September 15th, 2011 at 07:41 PM.
Old September 15th, 2011, 09:28 PM

I hopefully will go especially to see Lee's car and meet him and any other Olds folks from the list - its my anniversary weekend though so it may be tough to get away.
Old September 16th, 2011, 08:00 AM

Chris, Steven and others, I look forward to meeting you and others in this group. I already met a bunch of nice people from Classic Olds at the Nationals in Reno. Always interesting to put a face on the moniker.

Lee
Old September 19th, 2011, 10:36 AM

Hmm, $200 to tell me what's wrong with my car when I hear that for free at every car show I go to, no thanks.
lol, excellent point

A lot of cars at MCACN you will never see at a "free" car show or cruise in the Chicago area. Hell, even where the cars are located you never see them at free shows. A lot of cars from all over the country come here. And there are some REAL nice cars. 68 H/O convert was there last year. BOTH Stage II Buicks. Yes, BOTH of them. I think 7 1970 Hemi Cuda's. A whole bunch of stupid low mileage unrestored vettes. How do you not drive a 67 427 vette more than 9K miles. come on. The list goes on and on. There's nothing wrong with local shows and cruises, but sometimes it's nice to see examples that rarely if ever come out. And along those lines, I want to make it to Tim Lopata's invite only show down in Tenn I believe. Talk about cars you never see. Thats basically what the show is.
Old October 5th, 2011, 05:54 AM

It sounds like a great show so if all goes well I will be there with my olds. I hope my old car will hold its own against some of the other great cars at the show. It will be fun to finally get the car out after 30 years of sitting in my garage unrestored. See some of you soon.

Lee
Old October 17th, 2011, 08:06 PM

I registered last week so I am going. Car goes to CEMA in Vegas in two weeks then Colorado for some sorting and puch list items then Chicago. There are some great oldsmobiles including Eds 71 w-30, the number one pace car, a silver w-31 owned by Jim McKengue, very cool original 1971 w-30 convertible owned by Stefano, maybe Steven's w-30 and many other really nice cars. Looks to be a great show including some fresh cars never seen and a hemi prototype car worth boatloads more money than my car.

Fun, in a month! Lee
Old October 17th, 2011, 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by junior supercar
A lot of cars at MCACN you will never see at a "free" car show or cruise in the Chicago area.
I've been to it 2x now......

It's alot of trailer queens that spend more time as a museum then driving.
You'll see different cars at every free car show all over Chicagoland.
Hell the Volo Museum you'll see alot of these cars too.

Who here hasn't seen a Hemi Cuda before ?? Vette's too, they're all the same.
Now add a few options and deduct some mileage.
Same cars.

Here's one of the Stage II Buicks. Different hood scoop and some graphics.... ewwwww

Last edited by Aceshigh; October 17th, 2011 at 08:20 PM.
Old October 17th, 2011, 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by Aceshigh
LOL, Volo. anyway.

diff'rent strokes for diff'rent folks
Old October 17th, 2011, 09:17 PM

Aceshigh you are lucky to live in a good car area. There are no car shows in California where you would see more that 3 442s in a thousand car show. I have never seen a real hemi cuda convertible or copo etc at any of the local shows I am able to attend in Southern California. So this will be a treat to me. Taking my car will be a plus because I have many friends that live in your area that I have known for more that 25 years and collect the w-30s and convt. w-30s. We all plan to have fun.

There is almost 10 ls6 chevelles and almost as many hemi cudas signed up so we need a few good oldsmobiles.

Lee

Last edited by leepear; October 17th, 2011 at 09:44 PM.
Old October 18th, 2011, 02:01 AM

Originally Posted by leepear
Aceshigh you are lucky to live in a good car area. There are no car shows in California where you would see more that 3 442s in a thousand car show.
Are you in a remote location ??

I know ALOT of car guys out in Cali, so I'm not sure where you're located exactly.
Most of the guys I talk to go to shows every week because your weather there is awesome year round.

Ours isn't. We get maybe 5 months total May - Sept and that's it.
I typically see 5-6 1968-1972 Oldsmobile's at most events lately.
Earlier 442's are a bit rarer.....but I see 2 of them every Friday at Downers Grove.

I hope you enjoy the show either way. There's plenty to see for those not used to the
hot rod scene routinely all summer long.

Last edited by Aceshigh; October 18th, 2011 at 02:04 AM.
Old October 18th, 2011, 01:29 PM

I will do my best to be there to see Lee's car and the others. Would die to talk to some Olds folks especially those that know my model car well. I too have latey seen a lot of olds at the local Chicago area car shows. Always great to run into Chris (juniorsupercar) he's a true wealth of information and if he isn't sure about something he admits it - I'm finding that rarer and rarer now-a-days.
Old October 18th, 2011, 01:40 PM

Im seriously thinking about going. Its not that far from me and I know theres not another show with that caliber of muscle.
Old October 18th, 2011, 03:43 PM

Jason (tk-65) and Steven, it would be a pleasure to meet both of you. Jason you have contributed much to this group and the Oldsmobile hobby with your knowlege of window stickers and commitment to sharing information. I will even buy you a beer and Steven I guarantee there will not be a question about a 1970 w-30 that cant be answered by myself, ed, ed, gary, elliot and james. Guaranteed! Lee
Old October 19th, 2011, 11:35 AM

I will do my best to be there to see Lee's car and the others. Would die to talk to some Olds folks especially those that know my model car well. I too have latey seen a lot of olds at the local Chicago area car shows. Always great to run into Chris (juniorsupercar) he's a true wealth of information and if he isn't sure about something he admits it - I'm finding that rarer and rarer now-a-days.
Thanks. guess I owe you a beer and we'll talk next week about the SX as I'm heading out of town later today
Old October 19th, 2011, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by junior supercar
Thanks. guess I owe you a beer and we'll talk next week about the SX as I'm heading out of town later today
OK, let me know thanks again. I do mean it, its fun to talk to most Oldsmobile foiks but many times I'm the educator and that ain't saying much. the other times I have guys picking my car apart and they are correct about half the stuff completely wrong about the other - that drives me crazy - I try to never point out stuff on a car that's wrong unless asked and even then I let them know "I could be wrong"
Old October 19th, 2011, 05:47 PM

I'm hoping too attend as a spectator. I've never been to one. I definately wont enter any of my Oldsmobiles...
Old November 9th, 2011, 06:08 PM

A little over a week away. I am getting excited. I am going to meet up with some old friends that have owned w-30 convertibles as long or longer than me (30+ years). I talked to Steven about getting together with the classic olds folks on Friday. My car is scheduled for move in from 3-8 pm on Friday so I hope to move it in from 3-5 pm. Let me know if you would like to meet up. Lee
Old November 9th, 2011, 06:34 PM
Chevy budget Olds powered

i will be going this year . It marks the start of the winter show / swap meet season for me along with project season. looking forward to looking at all the old drag cars.
Old November 9th, 2011, 07:57 PM

I'd like to be there when you move it in to see it myself, may be the only chance I get is on that Friday to see the car and meet you as well as others.
Old November 10th, 2011, 08:47 AM

My check-in time is from 12pm-3pm on Friday. Look forward to meeting everyone. Lee, do you know if they'll have the Oldsmobiles grouped together? Last year they had about 6-7 '70 W-30s grouped together towards the front of the entrance.
Old November 10th, 2011, 08:49 AM

For those that haven't been here is a GREAT preview and recap of last year's show!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SV4QQjfOXPM
Old November 10th, 2011, 11:16 AM

Jim I am looking forward to seeing your car. I think we have the olds lineup covered. I was told I would be positioned with Mark's fresh 69 w-30 convt 4 speed. Other than that I am not sure how they are setting up. Holy cow! that video you posted made my car look like an average joe. Thanks for posting, I watched both.

Lee

Last edited by leepear; November 10th, 2011 at 11:32 AM.
Old November 10th, 2011, 11:37 AM

I think I'll try this year - maybe see if a friend'll dig his 'Last LS-6' Chevelle out of Volo, and maybe his wifes ultra-optioned '71 W-30 - but probably too late!
Old November 13th, 2011, 06:57 AM

There is another discussion post on this show "The Best Musclecar Show Ever" so to keep people on this post informed go to the other post or many of the CO members are going to meet at my car at noon Saturday if you are attending. Steven and others not attending I will be in the area around 3 pm. The car will be loaded directly into the convention center. Just found that out so when I find the truck we can meet there and I can have him open it up or we can just meet at one of the nearby hotel lobbys. I will give you my phone # by pm so send me one and I will give you my #.

Lee

Last edited by leepear; November 13th, 2011 at 07:01 AM.
Old November 13th, 2011, 08:33 AM

I've been to it 2x now......

It's alot of trailer queens that spend more time as a museum then driving.
You'll see different cars at every free car show all over Chicagoland.

Who here hasn't seen a Hemi Cuda before ?? Vette's too, they're all the same.
Now add a few options and deduct some mileage.
Same cars.

Here's one of the Stage II Buicks. Different hood scoop and some graphics.... ewwwww
This car is owned by Guy parquette from Mosinee wi he was a ski doo drag racer in the 90's
Old November 13th, 2011, 08:36 AM

I'll be there with no car
Old November 13th, 2011, 08:37 AM
Chevy budget Olds powered

he actually races this car on occasion. i belive i seen it in muscle car review this is a very nice car .
Old November 14th, 2011, 04:23 PM

I see this MCACN as nothing more
then someone who found a way to profit off other people's cars and hard work.
So I guess arranging a 500-car indoor event in the off-season is cake?

So riddle me this: Since you're in the area, are you going to sit at home, or are you going to go to the show?
Old November 14th, 2011, 04:29 PM

I'll be there Friday - wish I could be there Saturday but no go

Quick Reply: Who is going to the MCACN in Rosemont Ill