General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Wheel opening moldings, What is correct?

Search this Thread

Old November 22nd, 2014, 02:10 PM

Wheel opening moldings, What is correct?

I know "what is correct" questions can be loaded ones but wondering what others think about wheel opening moldings on a 70. I have never thought that the wheel opening moldings were polished as bright at the whindshield and back glass trim were. I have an NOS back hood molding and NOS wheel opening moldings and the back of the hood molding is much brighter than the wheel opening moldings. I know NOS is not always a good referance on something like this but it fits to what I always thought it was.

What I am getting at is, I am not sure if I should polish my NOS wheel opening moldings to a mirror finish or leave them as they are.

Next question, The front screws were differant than the rear. Do the small headed screws go on the front or back wheel opening moldings. One of my NOS rear came with the big headed screws but not sure if this is correct. The other 3 NOS moldings did not have any screws.
Old November 22nd, 2014, 06:08 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Eric, far as I know the screws are all the same size on wheel opening moldings. I wouldn't polish the NOS ones, because they should be in protected sleeves from the factory and that finish should be the same as what they'd be if installed on the Assembly line or Fisher.
Old November 22nd, 2014, 06:20 PM

I think the screws were a 70 only thing. All the 72s i have had that I believe to be original had all the same size. I was told about a year ago that the original 70 screws were two differant sizes. After that i have been paying attention and found two 70 cars that were like this that I am sure were original. The problem is, I can't remember what side the small screws went on. My W-30 had both styles and I didn't take good enough pictures in that area to know what way they were.
Old November 22nd, 2014, 06:21 PM

It's pretty much your call. No, they were not a "mirror" finish. That said...if you plan to compete with the car at the OCA Nats or something like that, probably ALL the cars you compete against will have them done to a mirror finish. That's been my experience, both judging and being judged. Correct...like factory? No, but that's where we are now at that level...mirror finishes, mirror chrome, and better fit and finish than when they left the factory...WAY BETTER!
Old November 22nd, 2014, 06:30 PM

I do think the wheel opening molding screws for 70 were different from 71/72. I was not aware there were 2 different 70 types. I am going from memory but I am thinking the 71/72 have screws with more of a shine than 70.

Don W
Old November 22nd, 2014, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by mrolds69
It's pretty much your call. No, they were not a "mirror" finish. That said...if you plan to compete with the car at the OCA Nats or something like that, probably ALL the cars you compete against will have them done to a mirror finish. That's been my experience, both judging and being judged. Correct...like factory? No, but that's where we are now at that level...mirror finishes, mirror chrome, and better fit and finish than when they left the factory...WAY BETTER!
Some of this car will be better than the factory did but much of it is still going to be the best i can get and have to live with it. This is why I LOVE original unrestored cars. After it is "restored" It is never the same as factory again.
Old November 22nd, 2014, 06:59 PM

Just figured out the screws on my own. I still have one of my front fenders with the trim still on it. It has the bigger headed screws. I found one of my backs and had a bag with the screws tied to it. It was the smaller screws. The first two pics below are the rear and the last picture is the front. I need to pull out a front screw and take a picture side by side.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
100_7303.jpg (31.3 KB, 37 views)
100_7307.jpg (31.1 KB, 40 views)
100_7312.jpg (34.9 KB, 40 views)