General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Wheel nut torque specs and Wheel Colour

Search this Thread

Old November 25th, 2018, 03:28 PM

Wheel nut torque specs and Wheel Colour

I am still working toward getting my new (to me) 51 Super 88 all ironed out. I just discovered that my regular garage destroyed one of the left side wheel nuts not knowing it was a left-hand thread. They not only destroyed it, they charged me for a non-standard replacement. This came to light on Friday when I took it to my tyre guy to install my new Coker tyres. He could not find torque specs, and he did not have a left hand torque wrench any way! I have serached the forums here but do not find any specs. Please advise. It seems my options are to buy my own torque wrench or to switch out the remaining 9 studs, or go with Tommy the Tyre Guy's feel of what is tight.

Another twist - he could not balance the wheels - said they are all messed up. I ordered a set of new OEM pressed wheels from Coker. They are sold painted primer grey. Can anyone tell me what Colour they would have been from the factory? My car was originally a minty light metallic green but has been repainted a forest green. The wheels are currently a cream colour, apparently to match the 3" whitewalls, though only about half an inch shows behind the full hubcaps. I am hoping to eliminate a step and just mount them as is after mocking up a hubcap on them, but of ever there is a time to paint them, this will be it.

Thanks!
Andrew
Old November 26th, 2018, 10:10 AM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

Stud diameter thread count clamp load charts should get you in the ball park. Have you looked at a 51 Ops Manual?
Are they 7/16" x 20s?
The numbers are all over the place. No less than 60lb/ft no more than 80lb/ft for steel wheels sooo 70lb/ft would be good.

Verify the garage monkey didnt damage the rim with the extreme over torque. That garage may also owe you a new rim.

Wheel colors you are on your own.Not sure on factory. It likely would depend on option level and if the car is a two tone paint. Id think Forest green would make them blend in. The Cream white would make them stand out. If you have wide whitewalls the cream might look cool, or it could be too much?. Then again white rims would look cool with black walls. Google images would help you here.
Old November 26th, 2018, 05:44 PM

I may have a picture of a 56 Olds in the green somewhere around. Don't know if I can see the rims on it.
Old November 26th, 2018, 05:56 PM
72 Olds CS

were the rims or tires not able to be balanced ? I recently bought some new tires and rims the tire guy said the rims and tires were taking way to much weight to balance so he checked the rims, they rims were fine it was the tires. I called the place where i got the tires and they sent me new tires and i sent the couldnt be balanced new tires back.
Old November 27th, 2018, 04:52 AM
72Cutlass S

Whats a left handed torque wrench? Every one I have used will torque in both directions.