General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Whats BETTER Rebuilding or Replacing an Engine

Search this Thread

Old July 3rd, 2019, 07:35 AM

Whats BETTER Rebuilding or Replacing an Engine

Because of this forum, I've learned a lot & looking to learn more, with that being said I just bought the engine gasket kit for the 403 6.6l , but I was thinking when do you know its time to rebuild an engine? & is it better to rebuild or Replace?

Thanks
Old July 3rd, 2019, 07:58 AM

Going against my present actions where I bought a rebuilt short block 455 for my 442.
I would rebuild what you have and especially if numbers are matching or block is date code similar keep what you have and rebuild.
Old July 3rd, 2019, 09:17 AM

Depends on timetable, budget, your environment, and your wrenching abilities. If you have a place for the car to be down for months, and have something else to drive, have a reasonable budget (everything cost most than expected) and have the abilities build it yourself. Take your time, check, recheck, and be meticulous. If you just want something to make the car run, get a remanufactured engine.
Old July 3rd, 2019, 02:35 PM

"Rebuilt" engines can be better-than-new. They can also be high-failure turds.

"New" engines can be near-perfect, or high-failure turds.

In both cases, skill, equipment/tooling, desire, end-goals, budget, and profit margins determine the outcome

There is no legal difference or even an industry standard that differentiates "rebuilt" vs. "remanufactured". It's all marketing bullshit with "remanufactured" somehow supposed to mean "better than rebuilt" but with ZERO definition of "better".
Old July 3rd, 2019, 02:47 PM
Old(s) Fart

If YOU rebuild the engine (whether it's the original block or not), they YOU know the workmanship and quality of parts in the motor. If you buy a rebuilt, you have no idea how well built it is.
Old July 3rd, 2019, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
If YOU rebuild the engine (whether it's the original block or not), they YOU know the workmanship and quality of parts in the motor.
This is only true IF (big IF) the guy building it has enough skill and experience to know the difference between "good" and "bad" in terms of quality.

If he's unskilled, he won't be able to judge good/usable from junk/destroyed until after the engine is in the car. Either it runs like it should...or it blows up or burns oil or has poor power, or whatever.

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
If you buy a rebuilt, you have no idea how well built it is.
That's what the warranty is for. But you need to read the "fine print" because most warranties aren't worth much. They may cover parts, but not labor, they may/may not cover shipping cost, they may have different terms depending on how the engine is used or what vehicle it's installed in. BE CAREFUL.
Old July 3rd, 2019, 03:11 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Schurkey
This is only true IF (big IF) the guy building it has enough skill and experience to know the difference between "good" and "bad" in terms of quality.

If he's unskilled, he won't be able to judge good/usable from junk/destroyed until after the engine is in the car. Either it runs like it should...or it blows up or burns oil or has poor power, or whatever.
And paying other people to do work for you guarantees that you'll never learn how to do it yourself.
Old July 3rd, 2019, 04:43 PM

There is no engine matching numbers as this is a transplanted 403 into a 55 Old's so nothing is going to match anyway as far as numbers go. Wouldn't either if it was the original 324 as that didn't apply in 55 To me it comes down to who do you trust the most , if you do it yourself or if a known good machine shop does it or a mass engine builder who sells so called (Crate) rebuilds. Pick your poison and your chances. Me I would union up with a good mechanic who likes a particular machine shop and join forces... Tedd
Old July 3rd, 2019, 04:56 PM

The OP asked two questions...we haven't answered the first question..."when do you know it is time to rebuild an engine?"

My $0.02 is it's due when it knocks, smokes, has a compression problem or you want more performance out of it through modifications. If it is over about 80K and it runs well I'd put a timing chain in it and maybe valve seals.

Good luck!!!