General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

What is the voltage for the Resistance wire to the coil

Search this Thread

Old December 30th, 2016, 08:01 AM

What is the voltage for the Resistance wire to the coil

Can someone tell me what is the voltage on this wire? It comes from the main fuse block and has the markings "Resistance wire do not cut"
I have an HEI distributor that came on this car and the prior owner just ran a wire from the starter solenoid up to it. And taped this wire and the white wire from the starter solenoid together.
I am fixing and rewrapping the wire harness and want to get the right pink power wire to the HEI from the fuse block. I believe I need a full 12 volts for the HEI right? Can I just replace this wire in the same spot?

The white wire that comes from the starter solenoid to the old coil that was in there. I was going to remove this one beings it is no longer needed.
Old December 30th, 2016, 08:21 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by AJFink
Can someone tell me what is the voltage on this wire? It comes from the main fuse block and has the markings "Resistance wire do not cut"
I have an HEI distributor that came on this car and the prior owner just ran a wire from the starter solenoid up to it. And taped this wire and the white wire from the starter solenoid together.
I am fixing and rewrapping the wire harness and want to get the right pink power wire to the HEI from the fuse block. I believe I need a full 12 volts for the HEI right? Can I just replace this wire in the same spot?
The resistance wire drops voltage to the distributor to about 9 volts. You can replace the entire resistor wire with copper from the firewall connector to the coil. The terminal in the connector body comes out for replacement.
Old December 30th, 2016, 09:05 AM

(You can replace the entire resistor wire with copper from the firewall connector to the coil). Beings the coil is not there I can go right to the HEI power in?
Old December 30th, 2016, 10:30 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Yes.

- Eric
Old December 30th, 2016, 01:36 PM
Administrator

I don't see how the PO ran a wire from the starter solenoid to the HEI and the car functions properly. It needs a keyed source to turn on and off. You need to check again.
Old December 30th, 2016, 01:47 PM

Eric
This is why I'm changing it Thought it was wrong, It ran ok but I really didn't drive it much before I started the restoration. There was a whole lot of WTF's in the harness. Its going to be right when I get done. Now that I got the wiring diagram's I'm finding more.
Old December 30th, 2016, 01:59 PM
Administrator

You missed my point, it cannot run correctly. It will either run all the time and not turn off with the key or it will start with the key in the start position and turn off when the key is in the run position. So the HEI was/is getting power from somewhere else. If your harness is that hacked up, why not just get a replacement from one of the guys here or a repro already setup for an HEI, its basically plug and play.
Old December 30th, 2016, 03:07 PM

There are only three wires in this harness that will need to be replaced to make all the corrections needed. To be really honest how the HEI got its power could have been another way. Its been a year ago when I took all of this apart. And the pictures I took was not really clear. But as long As I get it right this time is what I am after.
I am also cleaning up the alternator wiring from external to internal regulator before I wrap it.
Old December 30th, 2016, 03:08 PM
Administrator

Your on the right track.
Old December 30th, 2016, 03:13 PM

Thanks Eric

You guys are helping me a lot and I appreciate it!!