General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

what to use on vinyl top????

Search this Thread

Old July 29th, 2009, 05:14 PM

what to use on vinyl top????

what the heck do i use on my black vinyl top, i keep using all the regular stuff, armor all, shine gels, looks great until it rains and washes off all down the paint and windows then its dull again? just wondering what everybody else uses that stays on and works, this is my first vinyl top.
Old July 29th, 2009, 05:45 PM

Formula 303.

Usually found at marine supply stores. Sometimes you can luck out and find it at an auto parts store.
Expensive, but worth it.

I use it on my Cougar's 40 year old convertible top.
Old July 29th, 2009, 05:57 PM

Talking

thanks, i 'll definatley try it, as long as it works i dont care what the costs, im so tired of wiping greasey crap off my windows and paint every time it rains, lol.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSCF1551.jpg (87.2 KB, 53 views)
Old July 29th, 2009, 06:27 PM

I hear ya.
The few times I've been caught in the rain, I've had no problems.
Since the stuff is made for boats, that should tell us something.
Old July 30th, 2009, 06:03 AM

I always used Turtle Wax 2001 vinyl protectant. It seemed to work well. Then again, that was 12 years ago when I was in high school and detailed my 1975 Chevy Caprice. I might have had different standards then since the car was a beater.
Old July 31st, 2009, 12:38 PM

Vinyl Top Protectant

I,ve tried everything and nothing works. I have an old tin of Dupont Vinyl Top Dressing that I use on my show car's roof but it's just about gone. Boy does that stuff work. No runs or anything. It poured at the Olds Nationals and not a streak. Seems like all of the good stuff is gone. Turtle Wax used to make a Vinyl Top Wax also that was good...also gone!
Old July 31st, 2009, 01:15 PM

Vinyl Top Protectant

Anyone know anything about this? It's put out by POR so it's got a big name behind it.

https://www.ketone.com/proddetail.ph...6330be9cb3b69e
Old July 31st, 2009, 01:23 PM

Oldsguy used a paste polish on the vinyl top on his 71 Cutlass years and years ago. He doesn't recall what it was called though. Seems like most of the vinyl top chemicals now are a spray.
Old July 31st, 2009, 03:44 PM

well, thanks for all the input, i was wondering if just plain vaseline would work?
Old July 31st, 2009, 07:00 PM

Smile

Back in the early 80's, friend got his car repainted and had a new vinyl top put on. The shop told him to use ATF on the top. I don't know how it did in the rain, but boy did it shine!
Old August 1st, 2009, 05:40 PM

Can anyone tell me how to get my avitar up on my postings?

Thanks
Old August 1st, 2009, 05:58 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by slumpy
well, thanks for all the input, i was wondering if just plain vaseline would work?

I think you need Vaseline Vinyl Top Dressing.

If you run out you can always rub the babies butt on the roof when you change diapers.

In all seriousness, I've used Lemon Pledge excusively on all my cars interior plastic and vinyl for years. Never tried it on a vinyl top but worth a shot, isn't slimy and buffs to a nice shine. It keeps the vinyl soft and supple.
That new Turtle Wax Ice car polish can be used on everything, tried it and the stuff is pretty nice for a quick polish job, may work.
Old August 1st, 2009, 06:18 PM

Pledge is one of the items I tried on my top. It ran down on the body & windows with the first rain. I've tried "V Top" also worthless. Mcguires has a product, but the salesperson at Carlisle said that I would have to clean my top with mineral spirits before applying it. Have you ever seen what mineral spirits does to a top? It's like leaving it in the sun for 100 years.
Old August 1st, 2009, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by Bluevista
That new Turtle Wax Ice car polish can be used on everything, tried it and the stuff is pretty nice for a quick polish job, may work.
Yeah I would think that is a good choice. It shouldn't dissolve or anything.
Old August 1st, 2009, 06:54 PM

yeah i bought some of that liquid ice the other day, it works on trim and everything so far, ill probably strip everything off the vinyle ive coated on it and try the liquid ice on it and let you all know if it works, been raining every other day here in warrensburg, mo.
Old August 1st, 2009, 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by slumpy
yeah i bought some of that liquid ice the other day, it works on trim and everything so far, ill probably strip everything off the vinyle ive coated on it and try the liquid ice on it and let you all know if it works, been raining every other day here in warrensburg, mo.
Cool, maybe I'll try some. I usually use leather conditioner creme on the inside trim. Works pretty good, my leather seats were in very good shape as it was, but this stuff has really made it soft...course now I slide all over the place when I make turns...lol
Old August 2nd, 2009, 12:26 PM

I used formula 303 on mine, the stuff in the purple bottle and my top looked great. A lot of products will stain the paint, while the 303 may run off a little, it washes right off. Great product, just my .2 cents.
Old August 3rd, 2009, 05:46 AM
car nut farmer

I used Meguires Supreme Shine, I think that's right. Non-greasy and comes in a black spray bottle. Made my black vinyl top really stand out.
Old August 3rd, 2009, 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by 71rocket
I used Meguires Supreme Shine, I think that's right. Non-greasy and comes in a black spray bottle. Made my black vinyl top really stand out.
I use their leather conditioner on my seats and all the inside trim. I love the stuff. Usually in my Toro and leather seats I let it sit for several hours before using it...just to let it absorb. It works great though, doesn't feel greasy but gives everything a nice shine and feels real smooth. It's good stuff.
Old August 3rd, 2009, 08:10 AM
Purveyor of Polyurethane

I've never owned a vinyl top car so I can't really say from experience, but I've seen several old school guys using floor wax. It looks good and apparently lasts a really, really long time. Sounds strange to me, but I've seen stranger things work well.
Old August 3rd, 2009, 11:02 AM

anyone ever tried paste wax?
Old August 3rd, 2009, 12:56 PM

Paste wax, and floor wax have both been mentioned. I wonder if straight carnuba wax would work well? Either that or kneadsfoot oil used on leather shoes and saddles.
Old August 3rd, 2009, 05:58 PM

yeah, i was thinking along the same lines, use like mink oil for my boots on it, i mean why not, its water proof on my boots and last awhile.
Old August 4th, 2009, 09:21 PM

Nu-Vinyl
Old February 25th, 2011, 05:14 PM

Lightbulb Kick-Start of an old thread; Vinyl Top Care! : >

Sorry Gang,
Have Vinyl Tops on my brain now after Richey's great thread on "How-To Install them".

Do they even MAKE "NU Vinyl" anymore?!? God, this was a BLAST FROM THE PAST when I saw that name! Took me back to when I used to detail my Dad's '69 Chevelle in exchange for using it on Saturday Nights! A company called PPC that you see frequently w/ vendors at car shows make a great product called "Formula 2" REALLY CLEANS good and doesn't run ever; not messy -- it buffs out pretty good too; but is hard work if your top is kinda faded/gone or been neglected a long time; but well worth a try too.
Originally Posted by Danny Wiseley
Nu-Vinyl
Old February 25th, 2011, 07:05 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

It seems like I used Klear liquid floor wax years ago on my 78 Delta. I don't even know if they still make the stuff. I think it was made by Johnson & Johnson.
Old February 25th, 2011, 07:46 PM

Thumbs up

Sounds about right! I'm with ya; not sure they make it anymore...

Thanks for your Service in 'Nam! (NICE looking Olds pictured there too!!)
Old February 25th, 2011, 08:06 PM
GM Enthusiast

I never used it, so I cannot personally vouch for it, but I have heard that 303 is a great product.
Old February 26th, 2011, 02:09 AM

Ok i didnt see anyone say it yet....besides my cutlass i also have a 66 grand prix with a vinyl top.....the secret to keeping it looking new....

OLIVE OIL ....rub some on there and just let it soak in...it works wonders

learned this trick from my dads friend whos been in auto body business his whole life
Old February 27th, 2011, 08:37 AM

I've used a bunch of different stuff over the years and here's a small list of what worked for me: Baby Oil, Bumper Black( a clear petroleum based dressing for moldings) and on black tops--black shoe polish(paste type, shines like a new penny after buffing). Some tops need a little "oil" to make the vinyl more supple after years of cleansers and neglect.
Old February 27th, 2011, 04:46 PM
One of None W-31

303 Aerospace (I think this is what others posted as "Formula 303").
Old February 28th, 2011, 10:16 AM

I use a product called 303 Aerospace. They come as pre dampened clothes or in a bottle. Works great, does not run. The packages are purple and the number are in a graphic which is supposed to resemble the sun.

Last edited by jpc647; March 3rd, 2011 at 01:21 PM.
Old February 28th, 2011, 12:40 PM

Question

'OLIVE OIL'?!?!?! SERIOUSLY?! (NOT "Popeye!?!?!" "Well blow me downsk!" LOL!

No, seriously - never heard this, sounds plausible certainly...does it matter what kind?? Or Brand?? (I've got an older NEGLECTED top that I'm trying to bring back to life -- they're only original once and I really don't want to go to the trouble/hassle and expense of replacing it...)

Thanks all for the replies -- these aerospace products seem hard to find in normal stores....at least in the MidWest so far...
Originally Posted by rocket1889
Ok i didnt see anyone say it yet....besides my cutlass i also have a 66 grand prix with a vinyl top.....the secret to keeping it looking new....

OLIVE OIL ....rub some on there and just let it soak in...it works wonders

learned this trick from my dads friend whos been in auto body business his whole life
Old February 28th, 2011, 02:53 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by BOOWAH
Can anyone tell me how to get my avitar up on my postings?

Thanks
Go to User CP
select "edit avatar"
follow directions on page. If your picture image is too big for the site you might have to resize it, or select the URL or IMG code from photobucket or similar. Not hard really.
Good luck
Old February 28th, 2011, 03:51 PM
NOVICE car nut

Originally Posted by Allan R
Go to User CP
select "edit avatar"
follow directions on page. If your picture image is too big for the site you might have to resize it, or select the URL or IMG code from photobucket or similar. Not hard really.
Good luck
old post ....look at date
Old March 3rd, 2011, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by NorTown Olds
'OLIVE OIL'?!?!?! SERIOUSLY?! (NOT "Popeye!?!?!" "Well blow me downsk!" LOL!

No, seriously - never heard this, sounds plausible certainly...does it matter what kind?? Or Brand?? (I've got an older NEGLECTED top that I'm trying to bring back to life -- they're only original once and I really don't want to go to the trouble/hassle and expense of replacing it...)

Thanks all for the replies -- these aerospace products seem hard to find in normal stores....at least in the MidWest so far...
When I get home, I'll take a picture of the package, or type it out from you. You could probably contact the company directly.
Old March 3rd, 2011, 04:26 PM

Thumbs up

OK, THANKS!! That'd be Fantastic!! I REALLY APPRECIATE it! Can't wait to try it out! (I may just do the Ol' Olive Oil trick experiment too! )
Originally Posted by jpc647
When I get home, I'll take a picture of the package, or type it out from you. You could probably contact the company directly.
Old May 21st, 2011, 08:29 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

I bought some 303 Aerospace Protectant from West Marine and it worked great. The guy in the store said everybody that came in and asked for it swore by it. Not cheap at $18.00 a bottle. Time will tell how it holds up. Here is a link to retailers. West Marine has it and Overton's (a large marine supply company) have it.

http://www.google.com/search?sourcei...tant+retailers
Old May 25th, 2011, 10:03 AM

I use 303 also, works well, bought it at the local auto upholstery shop. Marina's carry it as well.
Old September 29th, 2019, 11:53 AM

This is a very old post but I have used 303 on my vinyl top and it didnt do all that great as the car sits inside a lot. The water didn't even bead after 30 days top looks dry after several repeats of the application. Same on another car so it isnt the tops causing the issue. Overrated 303 in my opinion. I would go back to a good paste wax for vinyl tops, it has to be out there somewhere.

Quick Reply: what to use on vinyl top????