General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

What about Car Clubs, memberships, etc...?

Search this Thread

Old September 21st, 2010, 07:07 PM
Land Yacht Captain

Well a great car anyway!!!!

Originally Posted by oldsca
Ken, depending on my involvement in the club, I just might ask for some suggestions and advice. You have great insights AND a great car!!

Cheers,
Wayne
Old September 21st, 2010, 08:34 PM

Yeah I know, I'll get to them once I'm running soundly and don't have rot holes on my 1/4s. It does however sound like there is a lot of animosity between club members and solo riders. I guess I will have to learn some show etiquette
Old September 21st, 2010, 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by oldsca
Well the OCC President (Keith) and myself have been sending emails back and forth. As I have stated to him, he doesn't agree with everything I have to say and I don't agree with everything he has to say BUT the one thing we have in common is our passion for Oldsmobiles. That's a helluva good start!

Ken I have taken your advice and offered to volunteer my time and expertise (?). I believe it is easier to sit on the sidelines and complain then it is to make change.

I coach my kids in hockey because I believed I could make it better for all the kids. I spend a ton of time and yes some times you wonder why. Parents that don't volunteer are quick to criticize and always have lots to say. I have dealt with many and I always tell them that coaching their children costs me several hundred dollars a year plus all of the time I spend at the arena(s) and on courses. If they would like, I would gladly step aside for someone that seems to "know better." Strangely enough I haven't seen other volunteers so I am still coaching and loving it.

I would love to see this club prosper in whatever form it might take. I always meet great people and hear some fantastic stories about their cars.

Ken, depending on my involvement in the club, I just might ask for some suggestions and advice. You have great insights AND a great car!!

Cheers,
Wayne
Wayne, thanks for the compliment on my car. Craig has a point too. Not all my ideas are good ones. If you have any questions I can tell you what we did with our club and why. It will be up to you to decide if it makes sense for your club.
Old September 22nd, 2010, 04:12 AM

Originally Posted by 442much
Car shows are not really about the cars. They're about the people.
Just like Dog shows aren't about dogs.

I think it's more a question of personalities. Some people like to congregate and others don't.

IMHO Since I was in the shopping center business for 25+ years, the last thing I want to do on a pretty Saturday is hang around a parking lot.
Old September 22nd, 2010, 05:54 AM

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Just like Dog shows aren't about dogs.

I think it's more a question of personalities. Some people like to congregate and others don't.

IMHO Since I was in the shopping center business for 25+ years, the last thing I want to do on a pretty Saturday is hang around a parking lot.
Because our summer is shorter we have a cruise night every night of the week except Sunday and Monday. I've seen all the cars. Everyone's seen mine. The reason to meet now is to hang out and shoot the BS. You can only look at so many camaro's, 1970 W30's, and 426 Hemi's before it gets old. And changing the colour of the car does,t cut it anymore. So, around here anyway, it more of a people thing. The cars are just the excuse.
Old September 22nd, 2010, 06:34 PM
Crazy Canuck

Much like a lot of things in life it is all about the people you meet. Heck that is why I coach, it certainly isn't about winning. It is about having fun with the kids, acting like a kid, teaching them a thing or two and learning from them!!

The one thing I think most agree on is that the OCA don't get together enough. It truly has some of the nicest people you ever want to meet. Unfortunately you only really get to see them once a year.

Wayne