General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Want to change 72 Cutlass S hood to ram air.

Search this Thread

Old August 3rd, 2018, 10:55 AM

Want to change hood on 72 Cutlass S.

Stock hood on 72 Cutlass S.
Looking to change to Ram Air style hood.
Question, is the "Ram air" and "442" hood the same or different?
If different, what are the differences?
Also, after some research I'm looking to go "Bolt on" which requires no modification and uses my stock hinges, is this correct?
I just want the look of the hood, not concerned with functionality so I believe nothing else is needed, is this correct?
Motor is a 455 if that matters.
What are some reputable places for purchase, I have heard to be cautious as some hoods are flimsy or don't line up rite etc...
Thanks in advance.

Old August 3rd, 2018, 11:00 AM

Want to change 72 Cutlass S hood to ram air.

Stock hood on 72 Cutlass S.
Looking to change to Ram Air style hood.
Question, is the "Ram air" and "442" hood the same or different?
If different, what are the differences?
Also, after some research I'm looking to go "Bolt on" which requires no modification and uses my stock hinges, is this correct?
I just want the look of the hood, not concerned with functionality so I believe nothing else is needed, is this correct?
Motor is a 455 if that matters.
Looking around locally for a used one but if I cant find one, where are some reputable places for purchase, I have heard to be cautious as some hoods are flimsy or don't line up rite etc...
Thanks in advance.
Old August 3rd, 2018, 11:15 AM
delete

What people call the "Ram Air" or "442" hood was correctly called an OAI or W-25 hood in Oldsmobile parlance, for outside air induction. If you say 442 or Ram Air, people will whine even though they know what you mean.
71 & 72 are the same hood. 70 is different.
New reproduction there is all fiberglass that you ned to get lighter hood springs, or a steel framed hood that uses stock springs. Thornton's makes a very high end repro thats really nice, but expensive and I believe currently not available. All hoods will take some work to make them fit right. Most (if not all) will require the brackets that go on the radiator support and the stock Olds-style twist locks. both are available reproduction

https://www.tamrazsparts.com/1971-19...d-bolt-on-new/

https://www.tamrazsparts.com/1970-19...5-ram-air-new/
Old August 3rd, 2018, 11:19 AM
delete

in Olds parlance its correctly called an OAI or W-25 hood. If you say Ram Air or 442 people will whine even though they know what you mean. The factory hood was fiberglass over a steel frame. Reproes are made either the same way or all fiberglass. If you get all fiberglass you'll need lighter hood springs. Most also need Olds style twist locks and the brackets that go to the radiator support.

Old August 3rd, 2018, 11:46 AM

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by droptopron
What people call the "Ram Air" or "442" hood was correctly called an OAI or W-25 hood in Oldsmobile parlance, for outside air induction. If you say 442 or Ram Air, people will whine even though they know what you mean.
71 & 72 are the same hood. 70 is different.
New reproduction there is all fiberglass that you ned to get lighter hood springs, or a steel framed hood that uses stock springs. Thornton's makes a very high end repro thats really nice, but expensive and I believe currently not available. All hoods will take some work to make them fit right. Most (if not all) will require the brackets that go on the radiator support and the stock Olds-style twist locks. both are available reproduction

Good to know and thanks for the links!
Looking to get my 72 painted and gotta find a hood so I can get them both sprayed. (Stock and OAI)
Keepin an eye out for one local but might have to bite the bullet and place an order.
Your hood looks great! I'm jealous!

Old August 3rd, 2018, 12:35 PM
Gary

...All hoods will take some work to make them fit right...
I got a 1970 Thornton and the painter said he didn't have to do anything to it for it to fit correctly. The only nit I can pick is that the front edges are about 1/8" lower than the edges of the front fender. Still, this is much better than an OEM W25 would usually fit,
Old August 3rd, 2018, 12:41 PM

It's worth noting that this is extremely popular and overdone these days. Most Cutlasses and even most 442s did not have this hood.

If you MUST have the hood, go ahead and make it functional and get the air cleaner and such because it's at least a performance upgrade that way.
Old August 3rd, 2018, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by Koda
It's worth noting that this is extremely popular and overdone these days. Most Cutlasses and even most 442s did not have this hood.

If you MUST have the hood, go ahead and make it functional and get the air cleaner and such because it's at least a performance upgrade that way.
It just makes the cutlass look more MEANER in my opinion, I love it.
I feel you on functionality, but Another $500 is tough to swallow for the cleaner when you're lookin at a hood, pin kit, brackets and paint.
But then again, if I was trippin on money, I should find another hobby! lol!
But I can also add it in the future because like you said, it is a performance upgrade.
Old August 3rd, 2018, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by VC455
I got a 1970 Thornton and the painter said he didn't have to do anything to it for it to fit correctly. The only nit I can pick is that the front edges are about 1/8" lower than the edges of the front fender. Still, this is much better than an OEM W25 would usually fit,
I've heard great things on Thorntons, just pricey.
I know your 70 is different from my 72 but if you don't mind me asking, how much was it?
Old August 3rd, 2018, 02:08 PM
Gary

Originally Posted by JAXX455
I've heard great things on Thorntons...how much was it?
Mine was about $2500 plus shipping two years ago. I heard they are now abut $3000 plus shipping. Even so, the painter said it would cost more than that to make my OEM W-25 fit properly. I sold the OEM and bought Thornton.
Old August 3rd, 2018, 02:52 PM

X2 on the Thornton. I bought mine over a decade ago and it stayed in the box for many years as I saved for paint. Finally mounted it on the car and it fit beautifully. Painter didn't need to do anything special to make it right. Hey VC455 did you notice your post count ?
Old August 3rd, 2018, 03:50 PM
Gary

Originally Posted by Chugger
Hey VC455 did you notice your post count ?
That's a great number. Thanks, I didn't see that. 455 coming up.
Old August 3rd, 2018, 06:23 PM
Old(s) Fart

If you say 442 or Ram Air, people will whine even though they know what you mean.
THIS is a "442 hood" for 1972. You can call it "whining", but I don't understand why people want to remain uninformed.

Old August 3rd, 2018, 06:28 PM
MOTORHEAD

The 442 convertible we own
no longer has those gills / grates

It does not have OAI Either

Old August 3rd, 2018, 07:40 PM
delete

Originally Posted by Chugger
X2 on the Thornton. I bought mine over a decade ago and it stayed in the box for many years as I saved for paint. Finally mounted it on the car and it fit beautifully. Painter didn't need to do anything special to make it right. Hey VC455 did you notice your post count ?
Mine is a Thornton's. It needed some work to fit & had to be smoothed out some. Final product is worth the time & money
Old August 3rd, 2018, 11:49 PM

Thornton is the best. I'm on my second one and fit is awesome . You can buy a plastic hood with light springs but the value is in the quality if you sell. Thornton is the closest to the original stock hood you can get. Depends on your concern for originality or just enjoyment of the car. Your choice..