General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

W36 stripes at Seven Springs

Search this Thread

Old July 28th, 2009, 09:38 AM

Attached are pictures of an original paint fender with the factory stripe. I had these posted on my web site with hopes that they would help people get these stripes right. I've since taken the web site down, so this is the only place where I have these posted.

Hope they will help someone....

LHBottom.jpg

LHMidCloseUp.jpg

LHMid.jpg

LHTopLeft.jpg

LHTopRight.jpg

RHFullViewside.jpg

RHFullView.jpg

RHMid.jpg

RHTop.jpg

Last edited by bigblockolds; July 28th, 2009 at 09:43 AM. Reason: add pictures
Old July 28th, 2009, 01:38 PM
Trying to remember member

Perfect solution for Joe P...........

Here you go, Joe! Just put them on at an angle and they don't run into the trim!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
stripe.JPG (31.1 KB, 249 views)
Old July 28th, 2009, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by wmachine
Here you go, Joe! Just put them on at an angle and they don't run into the trim!!
Gawd that looks terrible. Must have had a few to many. wonder what the other side looks like
Old July 28th, 2009, 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by citcapp
Gawd that looks terrible. Must have had a few to many. wonder what the other side looks like
It leans the other way on the other side, so it all kinda balances out.

Oh, and that car is on Ebay right now........
Old July 28th, 2009, 11:28 PM

Where have you been, Jeff?

Attached are pictures of an original paint fender with the factory stripe. I had these posted on my web site with hopes that they would help people get these stripes right. I've since taken the web site down, so this is the only place where I have these posted.

Hope they will help someone....
Jeff, been looking all over everywhere for your website since I lost it six months ago! Really too bad it is down!!!!!!!!!

Bob
Old July 29th, 2009, 05:02 AM
Captain of my ship

paint job

So this car should have had the stripes originally? If so then not having them should have cost him some points in judging right? It is a nice paint job but I think it should have the stripes if they were there originally there just cause I personally think the stripes are sharp looking. As long as they are correct
Old July 29th, 2009, 05:16 AM

I vote that bigblockolds pics go to the special COFAQ section along with the motor mount question.
Old July 29th, 2009, 05:25 AM

I was thinking about the 442 section as well.
Old July 29th, 2009, 07:27 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
I vote that bigblockolds pics go to the special COFAQ section along with the motor mount question.
I was thinking they should go in the OCA judging manual...
Old July 29th, 2009, 07:44 AM

I was contemplating the vertical stripes on my car when I have it painted next year, but after reading all this I have decided against it.
Old July 29th, 2009, 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by Nilsson
I was contemplating the vertical stripes on my car when I have it painted next year, but after reading all this I have decided against it.
I'm going to put the stripe on my '66...........
Old July 29th, 2009, 09:05 AM
Oldsdruid

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
I was thinking they should go in the OCA judging manual...

HAHAHAHAHA!

IDK, depends on who gets appointed head judge, we may see things change to reflect accuracy instead of a popularity contest- which is the way a lot of us have wanted to see the judging turn for many years.

But we had to remember "the primary objective of this show is to have fun and do not be overly critical" but also "this is a concours, not a drag meet". Which way is it gonna be?

Meh.
Old July 29th, 2009, 09:28 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Nilsson
Thank you, thank you, thank you. To be honest, I never thought that they looked that good on the 68 body style. I'm forced to keep them on my W-30, however.
Old July 29th, 2009, 09:32 AM

Joe, I think they'd look pretty good on your '84 Custom Cruiser. I have some templates for non-stripe '68 fenders if you'd like to use them...
Old July 29th, 2009, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by citcapp
Gawd that looks terrible. Must have had a few to many.
Not to mention the red wheel lugs... *puke*
Old July 29th, 2009, 09:57 AM

[QUOTE=rocketraider;96479]
But we had to remember "the primary objective of this show is to have fun and do not be overly critical" but also "this is a concours, not a drag meet". Which way is it gonna be?[QUOTE]

Ambiguity improves accuracy!
Old July 29th, 2009, 11:48 AM

I think I will put the strips and the 442 on my 57. Question how should I line them up. Could have been the original 442 right
Old July 29th, 2009, 12:12 PM

Glen: I strongly agree on the judge's training session Thursday evening for at least 2 hours, anyone less than a Master HAS to be there, or doesn't get to judge. I'm hoping that your group in the NE will have enough time to invite judges to judge in a class that they know, and you are able to put them there. What with the internet, how 'bout each advisor over a particular group of Oldsmobile's (from JWO) typing up an "advice" list for their class, post it on the OCA website, and those judghing can download and bring w/them to the Nats? Maybe all the advisor's that are attending the Nats could be available in the Registration Area (or somewhere easy to get to) for questions from the judging teams to find solutions to disputes. I strongly feel our judging needs to improve in the OCA. What happens if you have two teams judging one class (Cutlass's), and one judges more harshley than the other. Not fair to the cars that they judge, in comparison to the "easy" judging. I saw a guy laying down on his back, half way under the car, looking under the vehicle during judging. Sorry, the rule says "one knee". Let's start with Sturbridge, and make it better. Not trying to put it on your sore back, just needs to be some progress made, and looks as if you are doing a good job of getting it started. Great seeing y'all at your table (and around the resort) during the Nationals. We are already making plans to fly into Hartford, then tour the New England states after the Nationals next year.
Old July 29th, 2009, 12:46 PM

A few points came to me as I read this thread:
iirc, the turquoise 66 received a comment about how well the Tri-Carbs and engine were done. It had the incorrect fuel lines and the painted (aargh, it should be dark brownish gray phosphate) fuel filter bracket was upside down. Some linkages on it and on the red 66 next to it were also incorrect, bright white plated instead of that dark phosphate.
In 68, heater delete was export only. Domestic C48 ended with 1967s.
At the shows it is amazing how many Hemis are seen. I guess the "hemi delete" option is the rarest Mopar option. More coppa camaras than were ever produced can be seen, all "documented."

I did my 66 with lacquer instead of the glossy plastic paint, and did not overmassage out NOS fender dents, leaded seams, etc. As a result, some participants and judges are appalled at its condition, even though it faithfully reproduces the factory low level of fit and finish on zone ordered race cars. I have over $2000 in paint and painting materials to do everything in lacquer, just as it originally came from the factory.

I rarely see correct OEM "copper" bronze on 65-69 400s. I have original Liquid Glaze from the early 70s in quart cans, and put the correct finish on the timing tab. the engine is black because that is the color the racers painted it.

What about a race car that was sold as a new car in full race trim and lettered? It is a promo car, with dealer installed options. If documented (like the original bill of sale as a new car), shouldn't it go into stock class?
Old July 29th, 2009, 01:11 PM
Oldsdruid

[quote=wmachine;96498][quote=rocketraider;96479]
But we had to remember "the primary objective of this show is to have fun and do not be overly critical" but also "this is a concours, not a drag meet". Which way is it gonna be?

Ambiguity improves accuracy!

Shot at and missed; s**t at and hit...

Aron, I'm not involved with the Massachusetts show as I'm in Virginia, but I hope we can improve our judges training. Maybe I'm thinking too much like AACA, but they have an amazing training program.

Three things I want to see in the OCA Judging program are: standardized deductions for certain things, carline-specific training and certifications, and the National Judging Committee to take over everything judging-related at the National Meet. I don't know if any of it will ever happen.
Old July 29th, 2009, 01:14 PM

My car resembles one assembled by color blind, inebriated or hungover line workers, which I hear wouldn't be to far fetched. It looks pretty darned good and I am satisfied with it.

I still like those stripes...nope,I ain't gonna do it.
Old July 29th, 2009, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by Run to Rund
A few points .......What about a race car that was sold as a new car in full race trim and lettered? It is a promo car, with dealer installed options. If documented (like the original bill of sale as a new car), shouldn't it go into stock class?
Joe, I think you are (rightfully) highlighting the extent to which there needs to be the knowledge of what is correct.
But I ask (not Joe specially), where will the knowledge come from to educate the judges? I guarantee you there is not one person that knows it all about one particular model of one particular year. And even if/when that knowledge is obtained (more than a daunting task itself), how does it get applied? Judging sheets have a subcategory "authenticity". Is that specifically defined? How much "weight" does that carry, and is that clearly defined? Almost everything else is condition. *Nowhere* in the categories does being original count for anything. Since when is restored "better" than original to any organization that proclaims "preservation"?
In a nutshell, judging is continuing to evolve into just a measure of condition.
What class a car belongs in is an insignificant drop in the bucket compared to some very basic problems from my point of view.
Old July 30th, 2009, 03:35 AM

Wink Memory lapse

I think some of you are forgetting the fact that '68 442's left the factory with EITHER a Y70 GT stripe or the (optional?) W36 vertical rallye stripe...but it left with a stripe... A W30 car came with the W36 stripe as standard...As for the red '68 442 with the Hurst stripes EHG 442, it's my wife's car and when it was painted in '81 or 2 I asked her if she wanted the rallye stripe and she said no...so I showed her a picture of a Hurst Olds and she said 'YES' ...and how could it be a '69 when it has vent windows and '68 taillights and the VIN is visible through the windshield!!
Old July 30th, 2009, 04:22 AM
Captain of my ship

red 442

hey dude is that red 442 your wife's car? I thought those were Ont. plate colours. Is it the 20 or 21 and what's the difference? Did you have a car there as well? Does it seem like I'm asking a lot of questions? The stripe on it is like the one in jamesbo's avatar and that is his w30 I think? Oops another question
Old July 30th, 2009, 05:02 AM

Originally Posted by wolfman98
hey dude is that red 442 your wife's car? I thought those were Ont. plate colours. Is it the 20 or 21 and what's the difference? Did you have a car there as well? Does it seem like I'm asking a lot of questions? The stripe on it is like the one in jamesbo's avatar and that is his w30 I think? Oops another question

Huh?

Me thinks you doth have me confused with another. I have never owned a 68,

But if I ever get one, it isn't going to have the stripe on the fender.
Old July 30th, 2009, 05:21 AM
Captain of my ship

jamesbo I was asking yellowstatue if the red 68 was his wife's car. He said that the stripe his wife chose for the car was from a H/O. I just said that the stripe on the red 68-442 looks the same as the stripe on the car in YOUR avatar.I know better than accuse you of ever owning a 68
Old July 30th, 2009, 05:41 AM

Gottcha

No offense taken
Old July 30th, 2009, 08:58 AM

I was a card carrying UAW member in 1972, working the second shift on the assembly line at the Framingham B-O-P plant (code "G").

60 cars per hour, come hell or high water.

Monday or Friday cars were worse than the middle of the week cars, which had, AT BEST, mediocre quality.

Misaligned body parts, orange peel, drips were the norm, not the exception.

Stripes a little crooked...no problem.

Minimal chassis black paint underneath....no problem.

Spot rust on fasteners.....no problem.

Quanity, not quality.
Old July 30th, 2009, 10:00 AM

Correct Stripes

Correct stripes......for Joe.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
jet4.jpg (92.2 KB, 280 views)
Old July 30th, 2009, 10:09 AM

LOL!
Old July 30th, 2009, 10:16 AM

you got those right on the money! or is that an original paint car?
Old July 30th, 2009, 10:22 AM
Captain of my ship

Stripe

I think the vertical stripe would look much better on the rear quarters and then it could go all the way across the trunk
Old July 30th, 2009, 10:59 AM
Old(s) Fart

Nice...

So I'm not the only one who screws off at work.
Old August 19th, 2009, 02:28 AM

Joe, are these stripes right/

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1971-...=p4506.c0.m245
Old August 19th, 2009, 04:40 AM
Captain of my ship

At least he admits that it is not a 442. Nice car though
Old August 19th, 2009, 05:14 AM

Old August 19th, 2009, 06:15 AM
Old(s) Fart

My brain 'urts...
Old August 19th, 2009, 09:21 AM
Registered

The Sullivan 4-4-2 resto guide has a full side pic of a car with the correct stripes, and just below it a close-up of a fender with the wrong stripe placement. This thing will never end.

I just saw on the same page that they also had dual pinstripes the length of the lower dash, learn something new every day.

May I ask what the correct placement is???
Old August 19th, 2009, 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by Bluevista
The Sullivan 4-4-2 resto guide has a full side pic of a car with the correct stripes, and just below it a close-up of a fender with the wrong stripe placement. This thing will never end.
You know, I saw that too. Now, I realize that Olds' aren't as popular as Chevys, but they're somewhat popular. So why hasn't someone written a better "restoration guide", because that book hardly guides you at all. It's basically a slightly glorified version of Oldsmobile brochures and a few dealer guide.

And don't laugh, I need to put those dash stripes on still!!
Old August 19th, 2009, 10:06 AM
Captain of my ship

Red face

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Ok so I know they are not w-36 stripes but did Olds put any solid verticle stripes on any Cutlass'. It's listed as a Cutlass Coupe so what options were available in 1971 and what does this car have that was not an option for it. I need some enlightenment

Quick Reply: W36 stripes at Seven Springs