General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Vintage NYS license plates question?

Search this Thread

Old February 19th, 2014, 12:31 PM

Question Vintage NYS license plates question?

Hey, guys, I have a question for all the NYS (or any other) owners of mid- '70's Olds 442 cars.

I have a set of 2 (two) NYS plates issued in New York, approx. 1973, yellow with blue numbers/letters, and the number is........442-HOX!

I obtained these plates for my 1970 442 W-30 hardtop, and they are NOT special/vanity plates, but regular issue from DMV. I always called these plates "442-Hurst Olds Experimental", as they did not make a 1970 Hurst Olds, and the closest thing was the W-30......!

Are there any NYS owners here that use vintage plates for their collector Olds from that time frame??

These plates are in almost perfect condition, never damaged, painted, or restored in any way. They could be used on any '73 up Olds for vintage/collector use (registered with original vintage plates), but would be especailly desireable for a Hurst Olds from that time period, especially for show!!

I thought I would get any opinions here from Classicoldsmobile members, before listing them for sale on Ebay or elsewhere!

Any thoughts on using these, or what they might be worth??

Thanks for any interest or input!
Old February 19th, 2014, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by R-body_mopar
Hey, guys, I have a question for all the NYS (or any other) owners of mid- '70's Olds 442 cars.

I have a set of 2 (two) NYS plates issued in New York, approx. 1973, yellow with blue numbers/letters, and the number is........442-HOX!

I obtained these plates for my 1970 442 W-30 hardtop, and they are NOT special/vanity plates, but regular issue from DMV. I always called these plates "442-Hurst Olds Experimental", as they did not make a 1970 Hurst Olds, and the closest thing was the W-30......!

Are there any NYS owners here that use vintage plates for their collector Olds from that time frame??

These plates are in almost perfect condition, never damaged, painted, or restored in any way. They could be used on any '73 up Olds for vintage/collector use (registered with original vintage plates), but would be especailly desireable for a Hurst Olds from that time period, especially for show!!

I thought I would get any opinions here from Classicoldsmobile members, before listing them for sale on Ebay or elsewhere!

Any thoughts on using these, or what they might be worth??

Thanks for any interest or input!
I have a 69 cutlass in NY, I run vintage plates( date stamped 3/69) this is the blue plate with orange letters
in 1973 through 1986 the plates changed to Yellow with blue, in order to run these legally the car must be in those years, so they would NOT be allowed on your 1970
the one thing to consider is insurance. if you run historic or vintage plates you MUST have classic insurance with limited usage.

As far as value goes the 1964 Black World's fair is the most desirable and expensive 60's era vintage plate followed by the late 60's-72 blue plates since this was the height of the muscle car years.. the 73 -86 becomes significantly less desirable and there for now worth that much

this is from the DMV website.. should help answer your questionsHistorical Plates and Vintage Plates

What is a historical vehicle or a vintage vehicle?

A historical vehicle is a vehicle that is more than 25 years old. A vehicle qualifies for a historical registration when it begins the 26th model year. For example, a 1978 model vehicle qualifies for historical registration in 2004.

Some vehicles that are less than 25 years old and have unique characteristics can qualify for a historical registration. The DMV determines if the vehicle has historical, classic or exhibit value.

A vintage vehicle is a historical vehicle and receives a historical registration. The registrant of a vintage vehicle can put vintage plates on the vehicle. Vintage plates are authentic NYS vehicle plates that were issued during the model year of the vehicle. More information about vintage plates appears below.

What are historical plates?

Standard series historical plates for passenger or commercial vehicles display either:

a five-digit number followed by the letters HX (for example, 99999HX), or
the letters HX followed by a five-digit number (for example, HX22222).
Standard series historical motorcycle plates display the letters HM followed by three numbers.

Personalized Historical plates for any historical vehicle or historical motorcycle are now available. For an additional fee, registrants can order personalized letter/number combinations of up to eight characters (includes spaces and/or a silhouette of New York State) or 6 characters/spaces (no state silhouette available) for a motorcycle. Personalized Historical plates have the word "HISTORICAL" along the bottom of the plate.

You can order standard series or personalized historical plates using form MV-440H (Historical License Plates).

What are vintage plates?

Vintage plates are the authentic vehicle plates that were issued in NYS during the model year of the vehicle. You can put vintage plates on a historical vehicle instead of historical plates. For example, you can use a set of authentic vehicle plates that the DMV issued in 1963 on a vehicle of model year 1963. You must provide a full set of original vintage plates. The DMV cannot issue a registration for vehicle plates that are copies or that are painted again. Vintage plates issued in the model year of 1972 and earlier must display the embossed year or have the original metal tab for that year. Make sure that the tab is attached and legible. A sticker that indicates the model year is not required to use the vintage plates. Vintage plates issued in the model year of 1973 and later do not have metal tabs or plate stickers.

How do I get vintage plates?

You can buy vintage plates from a local source like an automobile collector, an antique dealer, or a flea market. Make sure that the vintage plates are authentic. Newer copies are not acceptable for a vintage registration. Before you purchase a vintage plate, contact the Custom Plates Unit at 518-402-4839 to verify that the number on the plate is available for your vintage plate registration.

Is a historical registration different from a standard registration?

Yes. You cannot use a historical vehicle for daily transportation. An automobile collector normally registers a historical vehicle or a vintage vehicle to use it for exhibits, club activities, tours, and parades.

How do I get a historical registration or a vintage registration for a vehicle?

To apply for historical plates, you must sign the Owner's Certification Statement on form MV-440H (Historical License Plates). Form MV-440H includes the instructions to apply for a historical registration. You must complete form MV-82 (Application for Registration/Title). Bring form MV-440H, form MV-82, and all other required documents listed on form MV-440H to a DMV office.

To apply for vintage plates, you must sign the Owner's Certification Statement on form MV-440V (Vintage License Plates). Form MV-440V includes the instructions to apply for vintage plates. You must complete form MV-82 (Application for Registration/Title).

Send these items to the Custom Plates Unit at the address shown on form MV-440V:

form MV-440V and form MV-82,
all other required documents listed on form MV-440V, and
a personal check or a money order payable to "Commissioner of Motor Vehicles" in the amount of the fee shown on form MV-440V.
You can call the Custom Plates Unit at 1-518-402-4838. The office hours are 8:00 - 4:00, Monday - Friday.

Is a historical registration or a vintage registration valid for one year or for two years?

Historical registrations and vintage registrations are valid for one year.

Is special insurance required for a historical

Last edited by LI Olds; February 19th, 2014 at 01:45 PM.
Old February 19th, 2014, 02:01 PM

As far as what they are worth, I purchased a mint set of 1970 Michigan plates containing the number "442" (and three letters) at a swap meet maybe 8 years ago. I paid $50. Some people might consider that excessive, but it's still far less than it costs to put plates on my non-vintage vehicals -- and that has to be done every year!
Old February 19th, 2014, 03:23 PM

I won't pay NY one extra dime. I have standard passenger plates that renew every two years instead of once a year. I'll be damned if I'm going to pay them anything extra so they can limit the use of my car.
Old February 19th, 2014, 04:48 PM

Wink

Thanks, LI Olds! Good info!!! They were not issued as retro/vintage plates!!

These plates were standard issue plates from a local DMV office back when I registered my used 1970 442 W30 (about 1973?); I just happened to have connections to the local office, and asked them to hold the number "442" for me until it came up................but I did NOT know the alphabetical sequence at the time.....it was just by luck of the draw that it was "HOX".....which was PERFECT for me!!

442-HOX
Old February 19th, 2014, 05:03 PM
GM Enthusiast

I agree with LI Olds, about your plates. The 73-86 plates will not be worth as much as the older ones but may have some value to at least a guy who wants them for his 442.
Old February 19th, 2014, 05:08 PM

The plate that is registered to my 66 442.

Old February 19th, 2014, 05:11 PM

A few years ago on ebay there was a whole run 65 through 75 of Texas plates offered with 442 and each pair got around 100.00 more or less per year.

Henry
Old February 20th, 2014, 01:12 AM

Exclamation

Originally Posted by 66400
A few years ago on ebay there was a whole run 65 through 75 of Texas plates offered with 442 and each pair got around 100.00 more or less per year.

Henry
Thanks, Henry!

Anybody else from New York State interested in these plates? They would be great for a '73-up 442 or Hurst Olds.............
Old February 20th, 2014, 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by R-body_mopar
Thanks, Henry!

Anybody else from New York State interested in these plates? They would be great for a '73-up 442 or Hurst Olds.............
Depends on what you want for them, if the price is right i would be interested to use them as wall art in the garage.
Old February 20th, 2014, 07:55 AM

Would be appropriate for a cutlass cloned in to a 442.

442 hoax 442 hox
Old February 20th, 2014, 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by 66-3X2 442
The plate that is registered to my 66 442.

Cool! Bonus points if you live in Wilcox county.

My W-30 is originally from Alabama, but I have no hope of landing a "70- xxx" plate, since there's only 67 counties.

I did, however, find a mint dealer plate which is gold, matching my car perfectly.
Old February 20th, 2014, 09:36 AM
Trying to remember member

My '67 442 plates:

My '69 442 plates:

My '68 442 and '65 Jetstar 1 attached.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Doc plate.jpg (84.3 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg
1965 JS1 plate.jpg (70.7 KB, 3 views)
Old February 20th, 2014, 09:50 AM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

Originally Posted by allyolds68
I won't pay NY one extra dime. I have standard passenger plates that renew every two years instead of once a year. I'll be damned if I'm going to pay them anything extra so they can limit the use of my car.
I second that thought Mike! NOT ONE MORE Penney! The orange/blue is butt ugly. Cant believe they brought back the ugly orange/blue turds. Just think if you were incarcerated in NYS you could not only get a free education paid for by Andrew Cuobama but you could make licence plates too!
Old February 20th, 2014, 10:03 AM

Angry

Originally Posted by droldsmorland
I second that thought Mike! NOT ONE MORE Penney! The orange/blue is butt ugly. Cant believe they brought back the ugly orange/blue turds. Just think if you were incarcerated in NYS you could not only get a free education paid for by Andrew Cuobama but you could make licence plates too!

Hey, if you are incarcerated in NYS...you also get free health care.....everybody else has to pay for it!
Old February 21st, 2014, 10:33 AM

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by 66400
Would be appropriate for a cutlass cloned in to a 442.

442 hoax 442 hox
Sorry, I don't think ANY clones are appropriate, (or legal), for that matter! I know that it is your car, and you can do whatever you want with it.....but to pass it off to someone else as "legitimate" is highly unethical, to say the least!

But your "hoax" comment IS appropriate!
Old February 21st, 2014, 11:58 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by droldsmorland
The orange/blue is butt ugly.
I disagree. The white with blue were completely generic, like every other state that went to a plate with a picture on it in the late eighties. They looked stupid.
The orange with blue is part of the traditional NYS color scheme going back at least to the forties. They used to alternate orange / black and black / orange, then a few years later orange / blue and blue / orange. I know because I've got a full set of a single series going back to 1946.

Now, if they'd chosen blue with orange or yellow letters, I admit I would have been happier...

- Eric
Old February 21st, 2014, 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by MDchanic
I disagree. The white with blue were completely generic, like every other state that went to a plate with a picture on it in the late eighties. They looked stupid.
The orange with blue is part of the traditional NYS color scheme going back at least to the forties. They used to alternate orange / black and black / orange, then a few years later orange / blue and blue / orange. I know because I've got a full set of a single series going back to 1946.

Now, if they'd chosen blue with orange or yellow letters, I admit I would have been happier...

- Eric
Started in 1927 with that alternating color scheme every year except '43.

Henry
Old February 21st, 2014, 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by BlackGold
Cool! Bonus points if you live in Wilcox county.

My W-30 is originally from Alabama, but I have no hope of landing a "70- xxx" plate, since there's only 67 counties.

I did, however, find a mint dealer plate which is gold, matching my car perfectly.
If I'm not wrong,they issued a 70 -XXXXX for lost or stolen tags. Look on eBay under alabamatagman and see if he has any.
Old February 26th, 2014, 06:40 AM

R-body,

I'm in NY, and currently working on a 79 442, so these plates would be period correct. Shoot me a PM with some photos and price.

Thanks,
Stu
Old February 26th, 2014, 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by 442stu
R-body,

I'm in NY, and currently working on a 79 442, so these plates would be period correct. Shoot me a PM with some photos and price.

Thanks,
Stu

Is that a black 4spd car from Texas?

Henry
Old February 26th, 2014, 09:59 AM

Hi Henry,

Yes it is the car I got from you years ago. Good to hear from you, hope all is well. Still a work in process, but with my 2 boys now in college I'm finally finding some quality time. I'll be posting some progress photos in the project area once some of the snow clears and I can get back to it. Any more parts laying around?
Old February 26th, 2014, 11:24 AM
Registered Luser

Originally Posted by 442stu
Hi Henry,

Yes it is the car I got from you years ago. Good to hear from you, hope all is well. Still a work in process, but with my 2 boys now in college I'm finally finding some quality time. I'll be posting some progress photos in the project area once some of the snow clears and I can get back to it. Any more parts laying around?
Those pictures should have been posted already! It is a prerequisite here! The sun is out now, get those pics going......what's wrong with you.......