General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Unexplained Tales From The Garage

Search this Thread

Old January 17th, 2013, 12:38 PM

Unexplained Tales From The Garage

With the crowd here, I am sure there are a few.
Here is one of mine, but I do have a theory on it.
Working in a large shop in the 1970s. While walking past a fellow up in the bed of a 70s Ford pickup, working on a roof beacon light, The truck started up and idled. No sound of the starter motor engaging or cranking, no one in the cab, and it was just sitting there and started idling. We looked at each other in disbelief. He did not have any type of remote starter attached. He did have the key in the run position to check the beacon light. I reached in and shut it off with the key. Glad it was an auto. tran.
It happened, believe it or not.
Old January 17th, 2013, 03:04 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by m371961
With the crowd here, I am sure there are a few.
Here is one of mine, but I do have a theory on it.
Working in a large shop in the 1970s. While walking past a fellow up in the bed of a 70s Ford pickup, working on a roof beacon light, The truck started up and idled. No sound of the starter motor engaging or cranking, no one in the cab, and it was just sitting there and started idling. We looked at each other in disbelief. He did not have any type of remote starter attached. He did have the key in the run position to check the beacon light. I reached in and shut it off with the key. Glad it was an auto. tran.
It happened, believe it or not.
I've heard of similar self-starting stories, usually traced to a bad solenoid or mouse-chewed wiring.

I have a more important question. Why does every tool dropped in the garage roll under the car to the exact geometric center of the car?
Old January 17th, 2013, 03:10 PM

Why is it that when you are looking for (4) bolts or nuts or washers and you can only find (3)?
Old January 17th, 2013, 03:43 PM

I've never had anything unexplainable happen.
People ask me if I believe in ghosts, I answer nope. Why? Never saw one, I'm not from Missouri, but you gotta show me things to make me believe.
My Granddad said "don't believe anything you hear and only half of what you see", I listened.
Old January 17th, 2013, 04:00 PM
72 Olds CS

as I was leaving my house today I closed the front door and the garage door opened (electric opener). I looked to see if any vehicles were on the street or in the area, there were none. There is a wall switch in the garage but I was the only one home....perhaps there was someone in the garage I thought ? cautiously I looked around..nothing???

OK i dont have time for this I hopped in my truck and reached for the opener button on the visor, and thats when I recalled the opener was in my backpack and the button musta gotten pressed by the storm door as i locked the front door...It had me wondering for a minute
Old January 17th, 2013, 11:47 PM

while removing the exhaust manifold on my 59 one of the bolts hit the floor. I will get that later as it was dead smack in the middle of the car and on the floor. time to lift the car and wheres the bolt gone! looked but nope nothing. Completed the job and replaced the bolt. 2 weeks later as I park the car, there is the bolt! Dead smack in the middle of the clean floor, bold as brass!!
Bloody Fairies
Old January 18th, 2013, 01:50 AM

Terrorist attack with anthrax

Not long after the 9/11 and anthrax attacks in 2001, I was outside working on a car. A plane flying over caught my attention. I stopped working and the 9/11 attack was going through my mind. All of a sudden there was a loud boom followed by a puff of white powder. At this point I am wondering what is going on. After a minute of trying to figure out what had just happened, I walked over to where the white powder cloud came from. An old tire on one of my parts cars had popped! Luckily I survived the terrorist attack.

Don W
Old January 18th, 2013, 05:54 AM

Back in the 70's (you know where this is going) I was building my first engine in the basement. I had come in from outside so I took my sunglasses off. I had gotten the sun glasses from my Grandfather. They were the RayBan Aviator type with the wire frames that wrapped behind your ear. Loved those damn glasses! (Coupled with my Fathers 1950's suede waist coat I was just too cool, lol)
Needless to say I couldn't find where I put them down. I turned that basement inside and out. Six months later I found them neatly hanging from the ladder rung that was hanging from the floor joists. Yup, right where I left them
Old January 18th, 2013, 07:40 AM

I must have at least 50 #2 Phillips screw drivers, but can only at most find none or one. Every once in a while I will find one in the oddest place. I agree with the fairy theory. They hid things.
Old January 18th, 2013, 07:53 AM
'87 Delta 88 Royale

Originally Posted by joe_padavano

I have a more important question. Why does every tool dropped in the garage roll under the car to the exact geometric center of the car?
I've found if you leave a pool of oil under the car (off center) it will divert to there.......

Roger.