General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Stay Away from PUI !

Old February 26th, 2011, 03:50 PM

Stay Away from PUI !

Ok so I get an ad around Jan. via email for a super sale at PUI. I am need- ing 67 Sport Coupe seat covers. I call and get a price and told them I would order before deadline. When I call to order I get an even better price.... Great! Covers come and color match leaves me wondering. I take em to an upholstery guy and he says the match wasnt too bad so I kept em. The invoice for the covers states that I paid full price. I call them and they say they dont know how that happened but they would give me store credit for 40 bucks. Now a week ago I get another ad via email from PUI. I need a radiator and have my store credit. I look in their new 2011 catalog and the one I want is 389.00. I check on line and its on sale for 433.00 Ok, I call them and they say that it is strange that their brand new catalog has that price... the price is 433.00 on sale. I told them about my disappointment and they guy says he will give free shipping. I mailed a sales guy there a few days earlier and he said it is an oversize item and does not qualify for free shipping but he would ship it to me for 20 bucks. The radiator arrives and I look it over and see that the lower water outlet is very small diameter. I compare it with my old radiator and the outlet is like 2x smaller than it should be. I doubt I could get a hose for it even if I wanted to use it!! I will be making a call to them on Monday to see whay the outlet is such. I have 2 purchases from PUI and never will there be another!
Old February 26th, 2011, 05:35 PM
Ben

My last pui experience... Set of 1970 chevelle bucket seat covers.

Opened the sealed bag (months after having been purchased) 1 seat bottom cover was for a 69 not a 70!

Vendor handled it...

Installed the first seat- everything went fine

Then on the 2nd seat, finished the bottom then started the seat back to find out the new cover did not have one of the bolster listing wires sewn on. Just missing.

Another call to the vendor who swore he had never heard of such problems iwth PUI before.. but he handled it agian

Got the replacement seat back cover installed only to discover the heat pressed rib pattern in the seats was done so poorly it looked like dashed lines instead of seams. Looked like crap (could not tell until the cover was installed and streched)

Another call to the vendor and photos later... Yet another replacement cover

3 strikes on 1 project- POS PUI. Never again.

BTW... this just 2 months ago so this is not some far past offence either.
Old February 26th, 2011, 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by RAMBOW
3 strikes
You're OUT!!!

Very bad ways to run a business... Too bad people are learning this the hard way.
I could never recommend this place to anyone, despite a few who were happy with them.
Old February 26th, 2011, 08:58 PM

Sounds to me like you need to call the company to get it resolved.
Seems to me that they made good on the first alleged error with a credit.

You can't claim they deceived you on the shipping when you talked to 2 different sales guys.
One was willing to help you more then another because of a perception issue.
Should have ordered it when the 1st offer was made.

They made good and still took a hit by delivering it for $20. I think it sucks,
but you should take pictures of the inlet tube and send it to them and inform
them that it's incorrect and you want a refund, and a return shipping label sent.

My experience with PUI through Tamraz was stellar with a perfect fit interior.
So experiences do vary.

Last edited by Aceshigh; February 26th, 2011 at 09:06 PM.
Old February 26th, 2011, 09:59 PM
Ben

Originally Posted by Aceshigh
My experience with PUI through Tamraz was stellar with a perfect fit interior.
So experiences do vary.
and that is exactly right... experiences always vary.For every bad there are probably 10 good (or more experiences) But man oh man when stuff is bad its usually really bad.

A friend of mine bought 1966 covers from a PUI vendor to have me install for his car, he was too impatient for ledgendary and went with these because they were in stock locally... I have not installed his yet, but i did open every package to make sure they were all complete and all the require stiching & sleaves were present & correct.

So at least from that point of view his experience so far is better than my last....
Old February 27th, 2011, 04:18 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

They made good and still took a hit by delivering it for $20.
If it was $389 in the catalogue, but they charged him $433, I don't think it was PUI that took the hit...

- Eric
Old February 27th, 2011, 04:55 AM

Let me clarify that the items were PUI but bought thru OPG, sorry I omitted that. I will see what they say about he radiator.
Old February 27th, 2011, 05:16 AM

If OPG is whom you're ordering from, then your 1st problem isn't with PUI, it's with OPG not updating their prices for their suppliers.
It's not an uncommon thing, but frustrating to deal with.

Originally Posted by MDchanic
If it was $389 in the catalogue, but they charged him $433, I don't think it was PUI that took the hit...

- Eric
I've ordered parts from numerous vendors who didn't update their online catalogs with the newest prices.
The Parts Place, NPD, Classic Industries, it happens.

When you call and place the order it's frustrating, but usually they tell you the current price on the phone.
My point was, this isn't an uncommon thing.

Last edited by Aceshigh; February 27th, 2011 at 05:19 AM.
Old February 27th, 2011, 06:26 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Maybe it's different where I'm from, but where I grew up in New York, they are required by law to honor the posted price, so long as it's not an egregious clerical error.

- Eric
Old February 27th, 2011, 01:38 PM

Thumbs down

NEVER EVER buy anything from OPGI...biggest bunch of a-holes in the parts business.

I would make my own parts before buying from them.

Other "Wall of Shame" vendors:

BAP

Year One
Old February 27th, 2011, 02:34 PM

I ordered door panels from pui when I got them 1 had defects.We went ahead and dyed the good one anxious to see how they looked.First thing Monday I called,the salesman told me I couldn't return just one cause they came in sets and since I "painted"one they couldn't replace them.I did get it replaced after awhile and after I paid shipping but come on.On the other hand Steel rubber co.went far and beyond what they said.I got new seals for the doors,didn't need until at least 2 years later.Thats when I found out they didn't fit.I thought I'd call just to see if I could get some of my money back.They said they 'd refund 100%.But first they'd like to try to special make me a set if I still had the old ones.I did,and they did make me a set that fit perfect.No extra charge. If only everyone stood behind there product like that.
railguy
Old February 27th, 2011, 04:02 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by Railguy
... the salesman told me I couldn't return just one cause they came in sets and since I "painted"one they couldn't replace them.
Hmmmm... Let's see...

I run a business making interior parts.
I tell a buyer he can only return parts in pairs, because...
I can only get them in pairs...
no... that's not it - I MAKE them - I can MAKE just one if I want to.
Maybe because...
If I get a pair back, then I can repackage it as new and RESELL it to another buyer who might not be so picky.
Could that be it?

Just thinking out loud.

- Eric
Old February 27th, 2011, 04:10 PM

I did get it replaced after awhile and after I paid shipping but come on.
Sounds like you got the right person on the phone that time.

Doesn't hurt to try another day or ask for the manager in most cases.

Last edited by Aceshigh; February 27th, 2011 at 07:32 PM.
Old February 27th, 2011, 06:43 PM

If I get a pair back, then I can repackage it as new and RESELL it to another buyer who might not be so picky.
Could that be it?

So.....if you want to go that route why not open up another pair send me one out of that box and replace it with the one I return.Also I'm not that picky and you didn't see the one sent back.
railguy
Old February 28th, 2011, 03:09 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

So.....if you want to go that route why not open up another pair send me one out of that box and replace it with the one I return.Also I'm not that picky and you didn't see the one sent back.
railguy
Yes, that would make sense, too.

But you can see what I'm getting at. Also, they'd have to be sure they had the other just lying around to open and repackage, and maybe their inventory control isn't that accurate.

Bottom line is that the only motivation I can see for insisting (up to a point) on return of the good one with the bad is so they can repackage it and resell it at full price to a(nother) sucker, under the assumption that just because one guy had a sharp eye, it doesn't mean that all buyers will.

There are reputable mail-order businesses (LL Bean up here, for instance) that will eat the price of anything you send back whatsoever. They take that stuff and either resell it as seconds in a local store at a reduced price, or donate it to local charities (okay, there aren't a whole lot of car restoration charities, but you get the idea -- actually, around here there's something called the "Good News Garage," which repairs old cars for people down on their luck - I bet there's something like that near them, which could at least use free items as a fund-raising prize, but I digress...).

- Eric
Old February 28th, 2011, 06:32 AM

But you can see what I'm getting at. Also, they'd have to be sure they had the other just lying around to open and repackage, and maybe their inventory control isn't that accurate.

Bottom line is that the only motivation I can see for insisting (up to a point) on return of the good one with the bad is so they can repackage it and resell it at full price to a(nother) sucker, under the assumption that just because one guy had a sharp eye, it doesn't mean that all buyers will.

There are reputable mail-order businesses (LL Bean up here, for instance) that will eat the price of anything you send back whatsoever. They take that stuff and either resell it as seconds in a local store at a reduced price, or donate it to local charities (okay, there aren't a whole lot of car restoration charities, but you get the idea -- actually, around here there's something called the "Good News Garage," which repairs old cars for people down on their luck - I bet there's something like that near them, which could at least use free items as a fund-raising prize, but I digress...).

- Eric
our local J.D. Byrider car dealership runs a form of "The Good News Garage" not only for thier own customers but for anyone else that is "down on their luck" and needs auto repair that they cant afford. These guys change oil and filter for $5.00 bux and do minor repair for $10 bux/hr to "Needy" car owners that can prove their inability to pay, just like at the health "free clinics" that charge for their services on a "sliding scale" to the "down on their luck" folks! J.D. Byrider stores are franchise and are only as good as the guy that owns the franchise and we have a truly GOOD GUY here that owns dealerships in 3 different towns and does a whale of a business helping (not hosing) people that are "down on their luck" with getting them in to a decent used car and then giving them a big break on service work too!! This isnt a sales pitch or a testimony for JDB, just the truth about our local "good-guy" dealer. Guys like him seem to be few and far between these days!! He also gives much support to local organizations and schools!!
Old February 28th, 2011, 09:12 AM

I'm not trying to keep this going and I under stand what your saying,but believe me a"sharp eye"had nothing to do with it.When you pay $400 for new door panels +shipping + dye + labor"I'm not a painter"you want them to be better than the ones you took out.I really wish you could have seen them.I'm in business for my self I believe firmly in the customer is always right rule.
railguy
Old February 28th, 2011, 09:23 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Hey, I'm with you.

I guess I meant less that the one who found the flaw was too picky than that the company is hoping for the next guy in line to be Ray Charles or to have a fear of confrontation.

Darn right you should get a perfect part for that kind of price.

- Eric
Old February 28th, 2011, 09:39 AM

Just an update, I did not call OPG yet. I took the radiator to a Radiator shop who has been in business for 50 years. It took him one second to see that the middle of the radiator had a gash in it that had been repaired with solder and painted black to disguise it. I am having them test it and install the correct outlet pipe. I prob could have returned it but its in my hands and dont want to deal with the hassle. The radiator had a PUI tag on it!
Old February 28th, 2011, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by Oldsmaniac
The radiator had a PUI tag on it!
That's a scary thought...

I would love to see a picture of that hose nipple.
Old February 28th, 2011, 09:59 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

the middle of the radiator had a gash in it that had been repaired with solder and painted black to disguise it...
The radiator had a PUI tag on it!

Thanks for sharing that one, Joe!

- Eric
Old February 28th, 2011, 03:39 PM

Just an update, I did not call OPG yet. I took the radiator to a Radiator shop who has been in business for 50 years. It took him one second to see that the middle of the radiator had a gash in it that had been repaired with solder and painted black to disguise it. I am having them test it and install the correct outlet pipe. I prob could have returned it but its in my hands and dont want to deal with the hassle. The radiator had a PUI tag on it!
Once again.....

YOu bought it from OPG and if they didn't drop ship it DIRECTLY from PUI to you,
you don't know if it was bought, and returned, and resold by OPG from someone else who did that.

I'd suggest you stop dealing with OPG

Last edited by Aceshigh; February 28th, 2011 at 03:42 PM.
Old March 1st, 2011, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by Lady72nRob71
That's a scary thought...

I would love to see a picture of that hose nipple.
Here is a picture, I had the radiator shop put the correct one on. I saved myself a lot of hassle and upset by not calling OPG. It would have been ugly. I have written them off.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
hose.jpg (43.0 KB, 69 views)
Old March 1st, 2011, 03:39 PM
Ben

not saying its right by any means... But about 5 years back i had a 67 mercury Monterey convertible that needed a new radiator. The parts store replacement also had a tiny inlet fitting as well. It had some sort of rubber "filler" gasket that was supposed to go inbetween the metal fitting and your hose to take up the difference. I used it as the instructions said and it seemed to be fine and no leaks for the 6 months i kept the car...

still thought it was retarded though. In retrospect, i should have done what you did and had a shop braize in the right size fitting.
Old March 1st, 2011, 03:47 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by RAMBOW
... The parts store replacement also had a tiny inlet fitting as well. It had some sort of rubber "filler" gasket that was supposed to go inbetween the metal fitting and your hose to take up the difference.
Had the same thing a few years ago with a new radiator for a '68 Galaxie driver I had. I didn't much care, as all I wanted was a radiator that cooled the engine, and the price was right (sure as hell not $400).

- Eric
Old March 2nd, 2011, 05:53 AM

What a size difference. I do not know what they were thinking.
I bet if you called and complained, YOU would have been the only one who had the problem. Happens to me all the time. I guess I only get the bad parts that come off the chinese assembly line.
Good work at installing the correct size nipple. You need the right volume of water flowing.
Old March 2nd, 2011, 06:17 AM

Once again.....

YOu bought it from OPG and if they didn't drop ship it DIRECTLY from PUI to you,
you don't know if it was bought, and returned, and resold by OPG from someone else who did that.

I'd suggest you stop dealing with OPG
Yep, i think his problem is OPG and not PUI. I have had nothing but problems with OPG. I bought a set of drip moldings from OPG, they were backordered for more than three months and when they show up they look like they were returns and were all scratched and bent up. I buy mainly from Fusicks, Tamaraz or Parts Place.

Last edited by bigdaves442; March 5th, 2011 at 06:58 AM.
Old March 4th, 2011, 12:52 PM

Well If you order a Big Mac from Wendys and it has the wrong toppings on it whom is the actual culprit????
________
Evelines

Last edited by Axeni; August 12th, 2011 at 04:17 PM.
Old March 4th, 2011, 01:08 PM

For the millionth time, OPG SUCKS

Hard to believe that folks don't do any due diligence before buying.

Always check the message boards for bad experiences.

And, just in case...OPG SUCKS
Old March 5th, 2011, 05:38 AM

I ordered a new engine wire harness for my 65 a couple years ago from OPG, took 3 months to get. The new harness is truely a work of art, made by M&H Electrical fabricators ( www.wiringharness.com ). Go to M&H directly, cut out the middleidiots.
Hardly ever find experienced help at OPG, just kids at a phone with a computer.
Some great orders, some really BAD ones.
Jim
Old March 5th, 2011, 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by Axeni
Well If you order a Big Mac from Wendys and it has the wrong toppings on it whom is the actual culprit????
Whoever is their chopped onion or pickle supplier .....right ??
Old March 15th, 2011, 09:47 AM

So I did not call OPG back about the radiator probems. Last week they called me most likely due to the bad feedback I left for them in there survey they mailed me. They asked what the problem was and said they would take back the radiator and send me the correct one. I asked how I could be sure I would get one with the correct size outlet. They said give me the size you nned and we will check out stock. I gave them the 1 13/16 correct size and the 1 1/2 inch measurement on the one they sent. I got a phone message today stating that all of their radiators have 1.5 inlet and outlets so I was out of luck. They also said that my radiator was probably custom and not original because it has a larger outlet.... So once again I would say stay away from PUI/OPG.
Old March 15th, 2011, 03:00 PM

- Eric
I work for that company. In the future, L.L. Bean will be made it know to John Q. Public, that they will have free shipping all YEAR!
Old March 15th, 2011, 03:40 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Cool!

Of course, we in Maine always pay a 5% surcharge on all LLBean goods -- it's called sales tax .

- Eric
Old May 24th, 2011, 08:38 AM

So the problems continue. Front seat cover installed no problem, looks great if you like Pearlescent seat covers. Upholstery shop just called and said back covers are too short to install and stitching has a problems in one area. I called OPG about the PUI covers they sold me and they agreed to take the rear covers back for exchange. I asked if I could be sure I would be getting the same color to match the front and they said yes. So if they are still making pearl seat covers and calling them parchment I guess all will be well. If by some chance they have realized that they are selling pearl instead of parchment and have corrected their mistake I am sure the rear covers will not match the fronts and the problem will continue... Will update as needed.
Old May 24th, 2011, 09:38 AM

I have ordered several things from opg

1. Chrome Mirrors- missing pieces to install that should have been included $80
2. Chrome Wheel trim-didnt fit rear wheels well. cheap alluminum quality $350
3. H/O black and silver Grill- Broken. Literally Cracked in half on arrival $320
4. Trunk Script-no issues-$80

so for me they are 1/4

I am no currently waiting for my Grill which is now on backorder.
Old May 24th, 2011, 11:09 AM

I have no experience with any of these places...BUT...I had a retail store for just short of 30 years (dolls and collectibles, mail order and in store), through a few recessions and the advent of eBay, and all sorts of reasons why a store that is stocked with items that you don't need for survival can go under. The reason we stayed in business was that we bent over backwards for the customer. They ALWAYS left feeling like they got what the wanted and then some. And if any problem arose, we would make it right. Period. If we needed to overnight a replacement for a wrong or damaged item...done.

If we lost a bit of money, we would make that up in good will and word of mouth. That is the way it should work. How these businesses can even consider mistreating a customer or making them jump through hoops to get the product that they paid for and expected, is beyond me. Especially in this day and age where there is always someone nicer willing to take your money.

When it comes to business you CAN'T be too decent or honest.

Just my two cents...

Kathleen
Old May 24th, 2011, 11:16 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by KathleenF
... The reason we stayed in business was that we bent over backwards for the customer. They ALWAYS left feeling like they got what the wanted and then some. And if any problem arose, we would make it right. Period. If we needed to overnight a replacement for a wrong or damaged item...done.

If we lost a bit of money, we would make that up in good will and word of mouth. That is the way it should work. How these businesses can even consider mistreating a customer or making them jump through hoops to get the product that they paid for and expected, is beyond me. Especially in this day and age where there is always someone nicer willing to take your money.

When it comes to business you CAN'T be too decent or honest.
You've got my vote when you run for President.

- Eric
Old May 24th, 2011, 11:23 AM

I ordered two lower door hinges from Fusicks and they accidentally sent uppers. They sent fedex back to my house the next day with a pickup slip and they called to tell me that they had already shipped the correct hinges overnight with another apology. You just can't beat good customer service and I seem to always get that when dealing with Fusicks.
Old May 24th, 2011, 11:44 AM

I have had excellent service from Fusicks, they have sent parts all the way down to N.Z. without a problem.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Stay Away from PUI !