General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

speedometer not working

Search this Thread

Old May 31st, 2012, 04:57 PM

speedometer not working

1965 delta 88 with 350 rocket engine....my speedometer is not working....... how can i remove it and check it..
Old May 31st, 2012, 05:29 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

If neither the speedometer nor the odometer are working, the problem is very likely to be the drive cable.

I believe that the '65 B-bodies had the same speedo setup as the '68s - driven off of the Left front wheel hub. If so, if the cable is disengaged from the drive coupler, or if the coupler is damaged or missing, then it won't work.

Check inside your driver's side front wheel hub cap (NOT hubcap) and see if anything's amiss - no need to jack up the car or remove the wheel.

- Eric
Old June 1st, 2012, 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by MDchanic
If neither the spe yedometer nor the odometer are working, the problem is very likely to be the drive cable.

I believe that the '65 B-bodies had the same speedo setup as the '68s - driven off of the Left front wheel hub. If so, if the cable is disengaged from the drive coupler, or if the coupler is damaged or missing, then it won't work.

Check inside your driver's side front wheel hub cap (NOT hubcap) and see if anything's amiss - no need to jack up the car or remove the wheel.

- Eric
Thanks im hkin to look now and kust a heads up, im not a mechanic but i try to fix the simple tnigs, so please dont get aggitated if i ask wat seems to be a dumb question for some ..thanks
Old June 1st, 2012, 09:06 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by jchavis44
Thanks im hkin to look now and kust a heads up, im not a mechanic but i try to fix the simple tnigs, so please dont get aggitated if i ask wat seems to be a dumb question for some ..thanks
You only have to worry if Eric can't read what you wrote. No such thing as a dumb question, but suggest you proof the post before you hit 'submit'. Good luck with your repair.