General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

So how long do think a clutch in a modern car can last after starting to slip?

Search this Thread

Old March 28th, 2012, 06:09 PM
car guy

So how long do think a clutch in a modern car can last after starting to slip?

I don't know either but I have been wondering for over a year of daily driving slipping and sliding the whole way. A little over a year ago my $1500.00 beater Corolla clutch started to slip. I figured I had a week or two and it was done. It just won't die. Now its almost like a game for me. Is today the last day Anything more than just the right amount of gas and the motor spins to the moon. Well made it home tonight what about the next day.
Old March 28th, 2012, 06:24 PM

I have been wondering the same thing about the 157k mile original clutch in my Pinto. There is no slippage, but the pilot bearing is a little noisy when the pedal is depressed. That started when i washed the engine and got water into it.
On my car the clutch friction material is held on by rivets. I wonder if I will even know when the rivets start grinding into the flywheel. I never heard it when a brake pad did that...

I think in your case, once a 'normal' amount of gas breaks the clutch loose, it is time to either replace it or the whole car. I bet you have to yank the whole engine and tranny to replace the clutch.
Old March 28th, 2012, 07:37 PM

This sounds like the episode of Sienfeld where Kramer and Newman see how much they can push the envelop one a tank of gasoline that reads "empty". When we drove the '70 Flattop hme from Los Angeles, I'd filled up in El Paso. Over half way to Odessa the gauge read 3/4 of a tank. My thoughts were, "Man this thing is doing great!!" Eight miles from Odessa I noticed the fuel gauge reading negative empty. I cooly told my wife the possibility that we may not make it to civilization. Once we entered Odessa city limits I passed the first gas station in the expectation that I would surely make the glowing Texaco sign in the short distance. My wife was having a meltdown as I confidently continued to the next exit. When we reached the off ramp I flipped the signal on and at that moment the parched 455 choked and sputtered to a stop. I coasted to the stop sign, and attempted to reignite but my attempts were in vain. The car was dead...... I had to walk 400 feet under the over pass with an empty antifreeze jug to get enough petro to drive the car over to the pump. I still considered that venture a success, considering we did not have to walk 25 miles... But although its been twelve years my wife still brings it up when my Custom Cruiser's low fuel light illuminates.. Count your blessings, and don't wait until that thing gives up on the high five during rush hour with your family on a 110 degree Texas summer day. You will feel very small, for a very long time. The temperature today was perfect, do the job now before it is so hot that it takes twice as long. Just my feelings, one mech to another.....
Old March 28th, 2012, 08:30 PM
Geezer

Being in a dead Corolla in the center lanes of Stemmons Frwy at 5:30 on a weekday afternoon in the middle of July would not be good!
Old March 28th, 2012, 08:34 PM
car guy

I'm the only one to drive or ride in it and I don't really want to jack with it untill my lift is back up. Even when it is I may keep pushing just to see how far it will go. HAHA
Old March 29th, 2012, 03:35 AM
'87 Delta 88 Royale

If the US spec Corollas are similar to EU spec replacing the clutch is a simple enough job for a competent shade tree mechanic. You won't need to take the engine out, it will help a lot if you can use a lift when you do the job, but I have changed one at the roadside with a floor jack and stands.

You should have thought about replacing the clutch when it started slipping, there is a good chance the rivets will have gouged the flywheel by now. Having said that I have advised customers about gouged flywheels, and put a clutch on anyway because they couldn't afford to replace it, and the clutch has worked fine. The groove where it has been gouged is only a small fraction of the surface area of the flywheel.

Roger.
Old March 29th, 2012, 08:01 AM
Administrator

Till the smoke comes out! I drove an old Honda for a long time like that.
Old March 29th, 2012, 08:08 AM
car guy

No smoke yet.
I got to thinking about it last night its been well over a year because I remember joking with the guys at work after the 2011 ice storm. I was having no problem driving on ice because the way I was used to driving the car for months felt the same. Just couldn't tell if it was clutch or tires slipping that week.