General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Rust Around Window Moldings

Search this Thread

Old October 28th, 2011, 02:08 PM

Rust Around Window Moldings

I am considering having the 69 painted same color after I do some body work, there is a lot of rust on the under bottom. I also notice that there is rust around my front and back window moldings, I am considering pulling it off and sanding and patching it. I have never done anything relating to removing molding around windows before; I would like to know if anyone is willing to share their experience and help me remove the molding get read of the rust and put the mold back on without damaging it. Should I start with a screwdriver to take off the moldings and use liquid nail or some other type of adhesive to but it back on? “Grasshopper” is looking for a little guidance…
Old October 28th, 2011, 02:35 PM
71 & 72,now I want a 68

I can't help much but can say...

no screwdriver,there are special tools for molding removal,some are made of a plastic or nylon material to prevent scratching.

no liquid nails,there are small clips to hold the moldings on from the underside.

that's about all I can help with,I'm sure someone else will chime in with more through info.
Old October 28th, 2011, 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by w-30dreamin
I can't help much but can say...

no screwdriver,there are special tools for molding removal,some are made of a plastic or nylon material to prevent scratching.

no liquid nails,there are small clips to hold the moldings on from the underside.

that's about all I can help with,I'm sure someone else will chime in with more through info.

I appreciate your input….Thank u.
Old October 28th, 2011, 07:20 PM

Proper and best way is to weld up any holes. Glass must come out for that. Without a thorough repair you are just wasting time and $$ and will have headaches down the road..
Old November 2nd, 2011, 07:03 AM
Old(s) Fart

Rust in this pinchweld area is unfortunately very common, as the design of the stainless trim both scratched the paint at installation and allowed leaves and dirt to collect under the trim, retaining moisture. As noted, the only real fix is to cut out the rust and weld in new metal. This entails major disassembly, as you must not only remove the glass but also the nearby interior parts to avoid fire. Sorry.
Old November 3rd, 2011, 06:44 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Rust in this pinchweld area is unfortunately very common, as the design of the stainless trim both scratched the paint at installation and allowed leaves and dirt to collect under the trim, retaining moisture. As noted, the only real fix is to cut out the rust and weld in new metal. This entails major disassembly, as you must not only remove the glass but also the nearby interior parts to avoid fire. Sorry.
Joe,
Would you happen to know where I could purchase a tool so I can inspect the damage under the trim? I hope the damage it not to grim. I appreciate your thoughts on the issue.
Old November 3rd, 2011, 10:16 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by clay69
Joe,
Would you happen to know where I could purchase a tool so I can inspect the damage under the trim? I hope the damage it not to grim. I appreciate your thoughts on the issue.

KD Tools 2038, available at any auto parts store.
Old November 4th, 2011, 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano

KD Tools 2038, available at any auto parts store.
Thanks!