General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Ron's Classic Cutlass in Indiana

Search this Thread

Old April 17th, 2019, 09:42 PM
Banned

Ron's Classic Cutlass in Indiana

This Ron guy makes a big deal about his honesty. He even was recommended by Fusicks. So he sells me a "NOS" Ram Air hood for $8,000. I find its been sanded and repainted. when I complain he says its normal for NOS parts to be touched up. He offers to give a little money back. I have to threaten a real lawsuit with a letter from my attorney before he refunds my $8000. Guess what, dude, there is a reason NOS means NEW Old Stock. Look out for this guy, learn from my experience.
Old April 17th, 2019, 09:44 PM

I did business with him once, and that was enough for me.
Old April 18th, 2019, 04:46 AM

I assume this is Ron Memmer? I have only bought small items from him and there was a problem once and he treated me fairly and resolved the problem quickly and easily. Sorry to hear of the problems.
Old April 18th, 2019, 05:30 AM
71 & 72,now I want a 68

I have had a dealing with him and everything went great but I am sure I'm just one of his many customers so I can't speak for everyone.
8K for a hood...wow!
Yes NOS means the part is new but that does not mean it's perfect.
Some NOS parts end up in the NOS parts bin because they have flaws noticed by line workers. When high volume with speed are a concern,it makes sense to not spend time repairing flawed parts.Throw the bad parts in the parts bin,grab another of the same part and keep moving.
NOS does not mean perfect!

Do you have pictures you can share of the hood in question?

Last edited by w-30dreamin; April 18th, 2019 at 05:33 AM.
Old April 18th, 2019, 05:54 AM
Gary

Originally Posted by nosoldsguy
This Ron guy makes a big deal about his honesty.
Ron does have some rare parts and prices them accordingly. In my experience, if I can't see the part before I buy, I will pass; his descriptions omit a lot of details.

My friends still tease me when I tell them I am looking for a part, "Why don't you call Rusty Ron?"
Old April 18th, 2019, 06:02 AM

My only dealings with him was on Ebay where he bought some NOS parts I had listed. Then I listed a complete 73 Cutlass dash assembly and he won the auction. I gave him the shipping cost which I said in the Auction would be expensive, never heard from him again and never got paid for the dash....
Old April 18th, 2019, 08:06 AM

Ron has been hoarding Olds parts since the early 80's and prior. Might have emptied just one of his many trailers of parts by now.
He knows what he has and is not shy about charging accordingly till you blink...I tried once to buy but ended up going else where for parts back in the 80's....
Old April 18th, 2019, 08:10 AM

Who buys just a hood for eight THOUSAND dollars and doesn’t look at it in person to see what you are getting? I mean, that should be common sense
Old April 18th, 2019, 11:42 AM
Olds Fever

I have met Ron on several occasions... I have never purchased anything from him, but he did buy some parts from me and paid my prices without hesitation... I know my prices were reasonable market value and obviously so did he and did not even try to negotiate a lower price to enhance his resale efforts... Most of the time when Ron's name comes up in a conversation I usually respond with "If you want to play with Ron you need to pay Ron"... This is the first I have heard of any issues with his dealings, except of course his extremely high prices, BUT if you are purchasing from Ron, you obviously may have exhausted all your efforts to acquire the item somewhere else and he is the only source left available when you want and/or need it...
Old April 18th, 2019, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by w-30dreamin
Yes NOS means the part is new but that does not mean it's perfect.
Some NOS parts end up in the NOS parts bin because they have flaws noticed by line workers. When high volume with speed are a concern,it makes sense to not spend time repairing flawed parts.Throw the bad parts in the parts bin,grab another of the same part and keep moving.
NOS does not mean perfect!
Yep, I found this out back in 1990 when I bought two NOS fenders for the 71 convertible. The rear mounting bracket for the passengers side fender was welded incorrectly so I couldn't get the fender-door gap right. Didn't have access to a welder back then to fix the fender so I left it as it was.
Old April 18th, 2019, 04:50 PM

I've bought a few near impossible to find items for my 66 Cutlass from Ron, they included a NOS Hood Spear, Trunk Strip, tail light bezels and lenses, all items in OEM wrapping. I thought Ron was very fair w/ pricing, considering what he was shipping me. I only had 1 difference of opinion w/ a couple of Cutlass Body Emblems he sent once, I called him and we got it worked out, no problem. Again, I have good luck w/ Ron, you experience may be different though.
Old April 19th, 2019, 06:49 AM

I've bought many things from Ron over the year's, never had an issue. He travels to all the big Olds events too, selling his inventory. He is the go-to guy in the Olds community for those hard-to-find items that nobody else has.... and he prices them accordingly. As Walt mentioned, NOS does not mean pristine condition. NOS could be factory rejected or repaired items. $8k is definitely steep for a hood but I would want to inspect it first.... it's worth a $300 plane fare in my opinion. I hope your issue gets settled amicably. Also, that is your 1st post and trashing someone?

Last edited by Indy Guy; April 19th, 2019 at 09:06 AM.
Old April 19th, 2019, 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by nosoldsguy
This Ron guy makes a big deal about his honesty. He even was recommended by Fusicks. So he sells me a "NOS" Ram Air hood for $8,000. I find its been sanded and repainted. when I complain he says its normal for NOS parts to be touched up. He offers to give a little money back. I have to threaten a real lawsuit with a letter from my attorney before he refunds my $8000. Guess what, dude, there is a reason NOS means NEW Old Stock. Look out for this guy, learn from my experience.
Just curious, are you from Indiana? Are you the one I talked to that had an NOS hood for sale for a couple years? I am suspect that you are starting crap that is not truthful. I am in no way taking sides but if you are the guy I suspect was selling an NOS hood for a couple years in Indiana then you need to go away. Sorry if I am wrong but you need more posts before most people are going to take you serious.
Old April 19th, 2019, 03:49 PM

Ive never had a problem with Rons description of his parts! Only his prices! . He has bailed me out with a few very hard to find parts over the years == I had to swallow hard to pay the price but Ive always been glad in the long run that i chose to buy rather than refuse to pay his price and keep looking. One part in particular I had searched for for over 3 years.. I bought His, at his price, and ive never seen one since either! If he ended up "making it right with you" then why are you blasting him? Welcome Newbie -- Hope you learned a "1st day lesson today!
Your rant and "warning" serves no purpose on here other than to upset a lot of folks that question your motives!
Old April 19th, 2019, 03:53 PM

In case my first reply got lost: I've been buying parts from Ron for 20 years and I'll continue to buy from him for another 20. They are that good. He has stuff that others don't. Namely 78-80 Cutlass. He's literally put more points on my cars at the Nationals via me buying some of his choice pieces. Who else are you going to go to for an NOS rear stainless hood molding for a 1979 Cutlass. Who else would bring a part like that to a show to sell? If Ron doesn't have it then it's probably unobtanium. And so as mentioned, I will continue to buy parts from him for another 20 years. Unless I croak. Then it's game over.

Last edited by BlueCalais79; April 19th, 2019 at 03:59 PM.
Old April 19th, 2019, 04:39 PM

New guy on a which hunt??Second post on this poor hood
What gives?
Alain
Old April 19th, 2019, 06:25 PM
Auto Enthusiast

I know Ron, he's a good guy and I trust him. He can be hard to get a hold of but has a good rep. He does carry hard to find parts, that's why you pay a premium, seems fair to me.

Last edited by 1974IndyDelta12345; April 19th, 2019 at 07:46 PM.
Old April 19th, 2019, 07:50 PM
Administrator

I deleted your 2 other accounts and associated duplicate threads.
Old April 19th, 2019, 07:53 PM

I am almost sure I know about this guy. If it is then this entire story is made up. This same guy wanted $4500 for NOS 70-72 convertible quarters. I told him I sold a couple sets for $1800 and that he would not get more than $2400 tops. He got mad and said I am trying to low ball him, lol
Old April 19th, 2019, 07:59 PM

I have known Ron for 30 years, both buying parts and selling parts to him. Never had an issue because he is honest and upfront. Finding rare NOS parts requires a lot of time and effort. If you don't like the prices Ron charges, don't buy the part(s); simple as that. Go find the parts elsewhere.

Someone who joins this site to bash someone sounds odd. Not buying it.

Last edited by Ctls442; April 20th, 2019 at 09:46 AM.
Old April 19th, 2019, 08:01 PM
Administrator

I edited out the link to his other thread as it had been deleted but the link still brought it up.
Old April 19th, 2019, 08:06 PM

oldcutlass, Thank you.
I have to wonder "who" would pay more than double the going rate for a "repop" or an original OAI hood.
Old April 19th, 2019, 09:31 PM
"me somebody" site member

Good and bad experiences with Ron. He sold me a near flawless NOS rear bumper for my old '66 442 for $600. Boy, I sure thought that was a lot of money...BACK THEN, that is!

He also sold me a small stainless side molding for the same car that was not so swell - when I complained, he made some excuse or another and refused to make it right - it wasn't a lot of money, but it was misrepresented and after that I just would not buy from him again no matter how bad I wanted / needed something, even if he was the only one who had it.. Personal policy.

I do recall Ron had a set of the N98 chrome rims for '65 A-bodies, with center caps for $1000 at the 2000 OCA Nats in NJ. Again, seemed like a lot of money at the time, not so much these days.

Also, when he saw my 442 at said Nats, only comment he had was to point out the incorrect (flat vs rolled) window sweeps that were on the car when I bought it and did not previously bother me, But after that I just HAD to replace them. Sonofa___ ended up costing me money, even if I didn't give it t him..

Last edited by aliensatemybuick; April 19th, 2019 at 09:33 PM.
Old April 20th, 2019, 03:44 AM

Good job on the deletions, oldCutlass I think the posts were borderline libel. Two words for when buying parts from anyone: Caveat Emptor.

Let the buyer beware. If you think you paid too much for something, anything, then you didn't buy right. It's that simple.

And no, I'm not a lawyer, but I play one on T.V.
Old April 20th, 2019, 10:24 AM
72 Olds CS

From the feedback on this and the other threads it appears more than one person isn't happy w the description/ condition of the received parts
Old April 20th, 2019, 11:52 AM

good job! Thanks Eric !

Last edited by Chesrown 67 OAI; April 20th, 2019 at 11:55 AM.
Old April 20th, 2019, 02:16 PM
Olds Fever

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
I edited out the link to his other thread as it had been deleted but the link still brought it up.
Eric, thanks for taking care of the multiple thread issue and deleting my second post... I only posted the referenced link because I thought Ron was unjustly being accused and wanted others to be aware of the same... Thanks again...
Old April 20th, 2019, 06:51 PM
Administrator

You cannot make all of the people happy all the time, its how you handle the unhappy ones that make your business a success. Used and old nos parts are a tough go and I respect those legitimate and reputable folks who put them out there for the masses in need.
Old April 23rd, 2019, 01:55 PM
Banned

Excuse me, but this is an Olds discussion group. If you don't agree with what's said, reply. But DELETE IT? What country is this? I would suggest the guy who deleted it get off the site and let the adults do the discussions. I haven't dealt with Ron's classic Cutlass but have heard about his questionable parts from several people over the last 2 or 3 decades. And another thing, if the original post is from a guy new to this site, it doesn't mean he is a newbee. I am new to this site and have been restoring Cutlasses and Mopars since the mid-80's. This is a site for information sharing, if you need to just vent, get a SHRINK!
Old April 23rd, 2019, 02:36 PM
Banned

I was shopping for parts this past year and got a quote from Ron Memmer of Ron's Classic Cutlass. He seemed to be very knowledgable and charming. I am a good judge of character, but since I am a caretaker of my elderly Mother, I cannot travel to see parts. But I do my research. I contacted by phone the regional officers of 10 different Oldsmobile Club of America groups. I asked about Ron Memmer's reputation. 5 of them were not familiar with him. Of the 5 that were, 4 of them didn't recommend him due to the things they had heard about him. I do a lot of research before I spend my money on an expensive part, I think that the member who is complaining about bad reviews should realize I want to hear all the reviews, good and bad. I have found that posts are generally done in an honest way since the person doesn't get paid to do it, but feels a duty to the Olds community to inform them about his experiences, good or bad.
Old April 23rd, 2019, 03:45 PM
Administrator

All the posters with 1 post are the same guy spamming. He has been banned, thread closed.