General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Rochester 4GC carburetor help 55 OLdsmobile

Old September 28th, 2015, 10:24 AM

Rochester 4GC carburetor help 55 OLdsmobile

I had my Rochester rebuilt about a month ago and from the beginning I have had a bog off of idle, no other speed does this occur.I get a good stream out of the accelerator jets when I manually pull the accelerator rod. I feel that the accelerator pump is coming on just a smidgen late. How can I adjust this as far as I can tell there is no adjustment on the accelerator pump rod. Do I bend the rod to make it shorter or am I going at this all wrong? ....Tedd
Old September 28th, 2015, 12:57 PM

I believe there is a measurement listed in the CSM for the height of the rod with the throttle completely closed and idle speed screw backed out. Yes, it is adjusted by bending the rod. I only have the 65 CSM and not sure the measurement given is the same. Do you observe a delay in opening the throttle and the pump squirting?
Old September 28th, 2015, 01:43 PM

Yes but barley off of idle it looks like it should be close enough by eyeball that it would catch but evidently it's not. Could I bring up the idle a 100 rpm's or so wouldn't that also do the same thing? It's on a pretty low idle and I thought a little more rpm's wouldn't do any harm. I haven't adjusted anything as yet but I see that with the throttle valves closed it should be 15/16 of a inch from the air horn to the top of the pump rod. I'll have to try and get something in there to measure( I don't have the special tool that is called for ) to see if it is in specks....Thanks ...Tedd
Old September 28th, 2015, 01:58 PM

If you are comfortable playing with it, go ahead. As long as you don't get carried away you can take it back, even bending the rod. Take the idle up and see if there is a difference. Possible the replacement accelerator pump was not made exactly to specs and carb shop never adjusted pump rod.
My 65 manual says 1 1/16 from the air cleaner flange to top of pump rod. I set it with a straight edge and a ruler, but you can only be so accurate. And the 65 may have a different air horn.
Old September 29th, 2015, 04:53 AM

Something to keep in mind is that sometimes a bog can mean too much fuel for the amount of air being delivered at the time. As in it could be momentarily flooded, until the rush of air catches up to the fuel load.