General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Reasonable car for reasonable price

Search this Thread

Old January 12th, 2017, 11:15 PM

Reasonable car for reasonable price

What's up guys I'm new to this scene and I've been trying to buy a 68-72 Cutlass S for the longest time. It seems as if everyone and their mothers discovered epoxy and cover their whole car in that **** without trying to remove any rust; and try to sell it for 8,000 and higher. Even worse is seeing a rusted roller with no title selling for 6,000. Have people lost their minds?? All I want is to buy a nice Cutlass, but all I have is 8000 to spend. Can anyone help out?? Thanks again guys
Old January 13th, 2017, 04:36 AM

Originally Posted by Yanek Yakubov
What's up guys I'm new to this scene and I've been trying to buy a 68-72 Cutlass S for the longest time. It seems as if everyone and their mothers discovered epoxy and cover their whole car in that **** without trying to remove any rust; and try to sell it for 8,000 and higher. Even worse is seeing a rusted roller with no title selling for 6,000. Have people lost their minds?? All I want is to buy a nice Cutlass, but all I have is 8000 to spend. Can anyone help out?? Thanks again guys

$5-8k is going to get you a project car with rust beginning to show through. You aren't going to find anything without rust (or hidden rust) that's decent driver for under $12k
Old January 13th, 2017, 04:37 AM
Runner

Yes some people have the "barret jackson syndrome" where they think their car, regardless of the condition, should demand top dollar. There are Cutlasses out there in nice condition* for 8k or less. Do you have more specifics on what you are looking for (specific year, color, model?)

*By nice I mean its definitely not going to be perfect. Typical rust will be there but it can definitely be a driver.
Old January 13th, 2017, 05:14 AM

Where are you located? I've seen many Cutlasses available on Craigslist that are less than $8 without any rust (or at least no cancer). Of course, that could be because I'm nowhere near the rust belt. Cars do pretty good in OK and TX.
Old January 13th, 2017, 05:19 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Olds64
Where are you located? I've seen many Cutlasses available on Craigslist that are less than $8 without any rust (or at least no cancer). Of course, that could be because I'm nowhere near the rust belt. Cars do pretty good in OK and TX.
I deleted your other duplicate thread. x2, they are out there.
Old January 13th, 2017, 05:26 AM

You have to keep looking at more web sites you.ll find one.
Old January 13th, 2017, 05:27 AM

Here's a good website I look at:

www.carsforsale.com

Plus don't forget:

www.hemmings.com
Old January 13th, 2017, 07:39 AM
Old(s) Fart

All I want is to buy a nice Cutlass, but all I have is 8000 to spend. Can anyone help out??
I'm afraid you need to modify your expectations to reflect reality. A "nice" Cutlass will typically sell in the $10k-12K range, with asking prices higher. As noted, $8K or less is a project car.

You might want to broaden your horizons a little. Full size cars can typically be found for less, and usually come with 425/455 motors. Weight isn't THAT much more than for a Cutlass. I'm partial to the 1965-1970 Delta 88 line, personally, especially the 67/68 fastback cars.
Old January 13th, 2017, 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by Joffroi
Yes some people have the "barret jackson syndrome" where they think their car, regardless of the condition, should demand top dollar. There are Cutlasses out there in nice condition* for 8k or less. Do you have more specifics on what you are looking for (specific year, color, model?)

*By nice I mean its definitely not going to be perfect. Typical rust will be there but it can definitely be a driver.

Thanks for replying. Yeah I live in Brooklyn, NY and the Barrett Jackson syndrome is real out here. As for specifics, I'm not too picky I'd be cool with :
4 speed
Console Shift
Column shift not preferred but I guess I could get a shift kit.
Color doesn't matter cause I'll paint it glossy black
455 preferred over the standard 350 (I love torque)
1968-72 models with the rounded end (not the sharp angle)
Most important, I want the frame to be in good condition, cause I don't mind replacing fender/quarter rust. Frame swap would be a hassle.
Old January 13th, 2017, 09:07 AM

Thanks for replying. Yeah I live in Brooklyn, NY and the Barrett Jackson syndrome is real out here. As for specifics, I'm not too picky I'd be cool with :
4 speed
Console Shift
Most important, I want the frame to be in good condition, cause I don't mind replacing fender/quarter rust. Frame swap would be a hassle.
Edit: Coupe only.
Old January 13th, 2017, 09:17 AM
Old(s) Fart

4 speed
Console Shift
A 1968-72 car with 4spd and 455 will be priced in the $15K-20K range in "good condition". Good luck with your search.
Old January 13th, 2017, 09:53 AM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...-cali-car.html
Old January 13th, 2017, 11:52 AM

You should ask about this one. It seems there are a few others in your area for reasonable prices.

http://newyork.craigslist.org/lgi/cto/5945683038.html

Plus, I saw some colonnade Cutlass in your area that were cheap.
Old January 13th, 2017, 12:41 PM
delete

Yeah I live in Brooklyn, NY and the Barrett Jackson syndrome is real out here. As for specifics, I'm not too picky I'd be cool with :
4 speed
Console Shift

I live in your neck of the woods so I know what you mean on prices. That being said, the items I bolded from your list will add considerably to the price, especially a four speed. Also, minimal rust will be hard to find in our area in your price range. Think about looking in other areas but that means traveling to see the cars or paying someone to look it over for you.

http://southjersey.craigslist.org/cto/5948438933.html Might be worth a call - a new car dealer can't want this thing lying around

Another possibility unless this is what you mean by sharp edges
http://delaware.craigslist.org/cto/5910241501.html

Might be nice http://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/cto/5954611331.html
Old January 13th, 2017, 01:12 PM

This eBay '68 4-4-2 near me has "sold" three times in the past four weeks.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1968-Oldsmob...p2047675.l2557
Old January 13th, 2017, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by droptopron
I live in your neck of the woods so I know what you mean on prices. That being said, the items I bolded from your list will add considerably to the price, especially a four speed. Also, minimal rust will be hard to find in our area in your price range. Think about looking in other areas but that means traveling to see the cars or paying someone to look it over for you.

http://southjersey.craigslist.org/cto/5948438933.html Might be worth a call - a new car dealer can't want this thing lying around

Another possibility unless this is what you mean by sharp edges
http://delaware.craigslist.org/cto/5910241501.html

Might be nice http://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/cto/5954611331.html

The yellow one was being sold for 10000 and then 8500 by the real owner (I spoke with him). The only reason I didn't grab it was cause I knew I'd had to spend a lot more to paint the car and put in different seats. I guess he ended up trading it to a dealership. The red one was listed at 8200 and now 9200; I guess he isn't getting the numbers he wanted so he bumped up the price. As for the white one, that's what I mean by sharp edges, the back slants down at a sharp angle, I like the smooth curving ones.
But thank you very much guys I really appreciate the feedback and links to different cars.

I don't mind importing it from other states and paying an extra 1000 knowing it's in good condition
Old January 13th, 2017, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by F-85 4-4-2
This eBay '68 4-4-2 near me has "sold" three times in the past four weeks.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1968-Oldsmob...p2047675.l2557
LOL when you don't get the price you wanted so you keep selling it and buying it yourself. But it does look really good to be honest.
Old January 14th, 2017, 05:41 AM

Don't limit yourself to just looking in your area. I found mine in Indianapolis. Even though I live in southern Maryland it only cost me $500 extra to ship it here.

Everyone has their own definition of "reasonable" when it comes to price. As the other posts stated, unless you want a project, any car east of the Mississippi, in decent condition is most likely going to run you around $10-15 grand.

One last thing, don't spend all of your budget on the buying of the car. With any car that you find, you will most likely have to drop another $2-3 thousand (sometimes more) to get it just the way that you want.

Good hunting.
Old January 14th, 2017, 12:33 PM

I'd suggest you go and take a good look at "68 Cutlassss" car. You know what he paid for it. If it fits your bill then make him an offer. He probably has some "wiggle room" on the price. Cash money talks. Restoring a car takes time & money and he might rather make a quick profit.