General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Rally pac Dash in a 66 442, and other funky options

Search this Thread

Old March 23rd, 2009, 11:34 AM
Ben

Question Rally pac Dash in a 66 442, and other funky options

I did some reading, and i've seen some refrences that the Rally pac dash was available in 66... other places saying it was only in 67.

A friend of mine has a 66 442... Very Heavily optioned- however all the interior stuff (any maybe some more) came from a 67 CS at some point in its history. The car originally had a blue interior, and the car was repainted bright red (then later burgandy)- So i'm guessing that is why they changed the interior- the current seat covers and door panels are black, and in the 67 style.

here are all the options the car has...

Rally Pack Dash with guages and the tach (66 or 67???)
Remote Drivers mirror (looked to be the 67 style, but i could be wrong)
AC
Rear power Antennae
Remote Vacum trunk release
Cruise Control
Tilt Steering Collumn
4spd w/ Console & Vacume Guage
Factory Posi unit (can't remember the gearing)

The car also came with a complete Tripower setup in the trunk, the previous owner told him the cruise control was setup with the Tripower and didn't work with the current single carb setup... Leads us to believe it may have been a factory tri-power car... hard to know though, he didn't get any history with the car. (bought it from a guy in utah)

So we already know its a fairly rare car anyway with all those options... but what I'm just trying to figure out if that rally pac dash was original to the car, or whoever changed out all the interior stuff changed that too.

Anyone know how rare those other options are?

Also- one more question... What Heads would have been originally on a 66 400 motor? The original motor in his car is long gone, replaced with a 1970 455 block, but the heads are A heads and are date coded for Dec 65, so curious if those could still be the original ones...

Thanks-
Ben
Old March 23rd, 2009, 12:14 PM
Trying to remember member

Option U21 Rally Pac was released for production 5/15/66 and made it into some '66 F-85 series models.
B heads on '66 big blocks. I expect that those A heads are Dec '64, not Dec '65. No A head production that late.
The vacuum guages didn't come with the '67 4-speeds, but one could be added to the '67 manual shift consoles.
How rare are the other options? Unusual, but I wouldn't say rare.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Rally Pac original doc 001.jpg (62.0 KB, 22 views)
Old March 23rd, 2009, 12:23 PM
Ben

Originally Posted by wmachine
Option U21 Rally Pac was released for production 5/15/66 and made it into some '66 F-85 series models.
B heads on '66 big blocks. I expect that those A heads are Dec '64, not Dec '65. No A head production that late.
The vacuum guages didn't come with the '67 4-speeds, but one could be added to the '67 manual shift consoles.
How rare are the other options? Unusual, but I wouldn't say rare.
Thanks for clarifying the date on the dash package. Means it probably was original, not swapped in with the other stuff- but still hard to know.

Would a car with a blue interior have recieved a blue dashpad too? His is all black now, so still hard to know what all changed...

As for the other stuff, I guess it just seems unusual to see so many options all on one car. I don't think i had ever actually seen a factory cruise control unit in person before i saw his car.

Of course all those options have a price.. he was a little jelous of my engine bay when he saw my car, and how much more room i have vs his, cluttered with all the AC stuff and the cruise crtrl unit.
Old March 23rd, 2009, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by RAMBOW
........ came with a complete Tripower setup ........
L69 option was called Tri-Carb.

........ That's a Tri-Carb you're describing. We don't need no stinkin' Tri-Powers or Six-Packs ........
Looks like I have a new sig line.

Norm
Old March 23rd, 2009, 12:51 PM
Trying to remember member

Nice catch, Norm. Can't believe I missed that!

RAMBOW, you have to watch your language around here. We don't take too kindly to mistaken identity!

Seriously, some of these of the options can probably be identified on the firewall data tag. Can you get us the info? How about the number on the machined pad on the end of one of the A heads while we're at it?
Old March 23rd, 2009, 02:05 PM
Ben

Nice catch, Norm. Can't believe I missed that!

RAMBOW, you have to watch your language around here. We don't take too kindly to mistaken identity!
Hey now... Don't make me threaten to put a BBC in my car now... ;-)
Makin me think i'm on that other olds site again

Seriously, some of these of the options can probably be identified on the firewall data tag. Can you get us the info? How about the number on the machined pad on the end of one of the A heads while we're at it?
His car is in bodyshop prison right now, but in a month or so when he gets it back, I'll jot it all down.

If 'A' heads are 64/early 65 only, then I'm sure you're right, and they aren't his cars original ones.

I'm just surprised that they would go through the hassle of making them work with the later 455 block (aren't the cam angles different, so the heads would need clearancing?) But then again, over the years mechanics probably just used whatever was handy to keep cars on the road.