General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

QuickJack, anyone?

Search this Thread

Old August 17th, 2023, 08:18 AM

QuickJack, anyone?

Anyone ever used one of these or even heard of it? I saw an ad in Old Cars Magazine and decided to try it. Very impressive. Takes about an hour to go through the initial setup process, installing the fittings and making the connections, installing the hydraulic fluid, bleeding the cylinders, and then the initial run-through. But it works very well, and it's SO much nicer than having to drag a floor jack to all four corners one at a time, jacking it up, putting a jack stand underneath, and repeating. Plus, the car gets higher off the ground. What is shown is the lower height setting, which is probably all I'll need because I mostly want to work on the brakes.

What's also nice is that there is no permanent installation here. When done, the lifts can be rolled off to the side or even hung from wall brackets, which they also sell.

https://www.quickjack.com/

Old August 17th, 2023, 08:30 AM

I have had them for about 8 years. 70 Chevelle and 72 Supreme vert. I bought the longer ones, works great and unbelievably secure. BTW I also bought the “pinch weld” blocks for my newer cars….great investment.
Old August 17th, 2023, 08:36 AM

Ingenious! I've never heard of this before.
Old August 17th, 2023, 08:39 AM

I picked one up a few month's ago for a price I could not refuse.
I haven't used it yet though.
Old August 17th, 2023, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by Dave26
I have had them for about 8 years. 70 Chevelle and 72 Supreme vert. I bought the longer ones, works great and unbelievably secure.
Glad to hear that they are working out long-term. I'm planning to use this with all three of my old Olds's.
Old August 17th, 2023, 08:48 AM

I used to sell these. For a few bucks more a portable midrise can be bought and its way more useful. The lifting height is about 5 feet and runs on a 110v outlet. It takes up much less floor space as well.
Old August 17th, 2023, 09:19 AM
same but different

I think its a nice option to have, and an affordable one. I'm seeing their popularity rise since I first saw them.
I wish I had them when I was younger....heck, I wish to have them now.

Thanks for sharing your experience with them.
Old August 17th, 2023, 09:41 AM

I really want to get one of these for my 66' Toronado. The car is so darn heavy in the front though that I wonder if it will work for me without being super sketchy.
Old August 17th, 2023, 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by ourkid2000
I really want to get one of these for my 66' Toronado. The car is so darn heavy in the front though that I wonder if it will work for me without being super sketchy.
I doubt you would have any problem. The weight distribution on your car is about 54 front 46 rear. That's not much different if it's different at all from a rear-drive car. I think pretty much all cars with the engine in front, front-wheel-drive or not, are slightly heavier on the front end.
Old August 17th, 2023, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by jaunty75
I doubt you would have any problem. The weight distribution on your car is about 54 front 46 rear. That's not much different if it's different at all from a rear-drive car. I think pretty much all cars with the engine in front, front-wheel-drive or not, are slightly heavier on the front end.
That sounds encouraging, maybe I'll look into this a bit more. Just wondering, where did you get that data about the weight distribution?
Old August 17th, 2023, 11:03 AM

Actually, this site says 60/40 front rear, but I saw another site that said 54/46. I'll see if I can find it again.

https://autotalkz.com/cat-oldsmobile...bile-toronado/

But it really shouldn't matter. All cars have designated lift points so they can be raised for servicing. They're shown in the service manual. As long as you use those lift points with the QuickJack, you should be fine. The jack's instruction manual is very specific about making sure you use those lift points. Safety first, always!
Old August 17th, 2023, 01:04 PM

https://www.forwardlift.com/mid-rise-lifts/

I would really look closely at one of these over a low rise. Soo much better all the way around..
Old August 17th, 2023, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by 66_Jetstar
https://www.forwardlift.com/mid-rise-lifts/

I would really look closely at one of these over a low rise. Soo much better all the way around..
My uncle restored his 64 Jaguar E-type several years ago using something similar (maybe the same thing). He loved having that lift. He also opened his garage to several of his fellow club members to bring their cars over to work on them.

Old August 17th, 2023, 02:14 PM

They are very common in body shops. There are no posts in the way!
Old August 17th, 2023, 02:17 PM
Administrator

I've considered these types of lifts, but I have not found them practical for working under the cars. I can't justify the cost to only be able to remove all 4 wheels at the same time, which that requirement isn't necessary very often.
Old August 17th, 2023, 02:22 PM

I haven’t invested in a lift of any sort but this jack and crossbeam combination from Harbor Freight (links below) makes getting the car up on stands much easier. The corner pads of the beam also have some grooves that may be useful for pinch weld cars. They aren’t deep enough to take the whole pinch weld but they would keep it snug while lifting.

Of course, the lifts are far nicer.

https://www.harborfreight.com/automotive/jacks-jack-stands/floor-jacks/3-ton-low-profile-super-duty-floor-jack-with-rapid-pump-candy-apple-metallic-red-57589.html

https://www.harborfreight.com/automo...eam-64051.html
Old August 17th, 2023, 03:16 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by 72442TwiceOwned
I haven’t invested in a lift of any sort but this jack and crossbeam combination from Harbor Freight (links below) makes getting the car up on stands much easier. The corner pads of the beam also have some grooves that may be useful for pinch weld cars. They aren’t deep enough to take the whole pinch weld but they would keep it snug while lifting.

Of course, the lifts are far nicer.

https://www.harborfreight.com/automotive/jacks-jack-stands/floor-jacks/3-ton-low-profile-super-duty-floor-jack-with-rapid-pump-candy-apple-metallic-red-57589.html

https://www.harborfreight.com/automo...eam-64051.html
Jacking at that point can be problematic for non-boxed frames.
Old August 17th, 2023, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
I've considered these types of lifts, but I have not found them practical for working under the cars. I can't justify the cost to only be able to remove all 4 wheels at the same time, which that requirement isn't necessary very often.

Thats why they work well in a body shop. Those guys don't do much under car work. It is still possible to do some work, but obviously there are some substantial limitations. But those limitations are the same with the low rise lift, with the midrise at least the car is at a decent working height..
Old August 17th, 2023, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
Jacking at that point can be problematic for non-boxed frames.
Thanks. I did wonder about that after I got it up on jack stands, which is the one and only time I’ve ever used it. And from what I understand now there isn’t really a safe place to jack
it from underneath the front or rear, correct?
Old August 18th, 2023, 05:07 AM

Thanks to Jaunty 75 for posting this, I was on the fence about getting a Quick Jack but I'm now going to be looking into it.
Old August 18th, 2023, 06:32 AM

Not to be a Negative Nelly, but I've been under one and wasn't a fan. They're probably fine as long as you don't have to access the areas blocked by the lifts, like fluid lines, clutch, transmission, etc. Being a large framed guy, it wasn't very fun trying to slither in from the end to access that area. Just something to consider.
I'm 6' 4"; regular 2 post lifts aren't much fun either because I can't stand fully erect under those. I have yet to find a better substitution for jackstands and West Virginia creepers- aka: big pieces of cardboard to slide around on. Plus, you're lying on your back or side and can use your full body for leverage should you need it.
Old August 18th, 2023, 06:57 AM

I know they would be handy in the 55 but how would they work on something really low like the z3 BMW or a Miata, I'm looking at 4 inches or less, I have a floor jack that is too tall on the BMW...Tedd
Old August 18th, 2023, 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by fleming442
Not to be a Negative Nelly, but I've been under one and wasn't a fan. They're probably fine as long as you don't have to access the areas blocked by the lifts, like fluid lines, clutch, transmission, etc. Being a large framed guy, it wasn't very fun trying to slither in from the end to access that area. Just something to consider.
I'm 6' 4"; regular 2 post lifts aren't much fun either because I can't stand fully erect under those. I have yet to find a better substitution for jackstands and West Virginia creepers- aka: big pieces of cardboard to slide around on. Plus, you're lying on your back or side and can use your full body for leverage should you need it.
x 2.. I am not 6’4” but over 6’ and almost bought a quickjack, then realized its a pain in the butt slithering in from either end versus the side of the car.. it takes me all of 10-15 minutes tops to jack up individual corners to get all 4 jack stands underneath to lift it up.
Old August 18th, 2023, 07:12 AM

Yeah, to me, the mid-rise looks basically useless as it completely blocks access to everything underneath. I haven't bought a quickjack, specifically because it would be inconvenient to have to crawl in from the front or back to access the stuff in the center of the car. I may get one someday, but they're really damned expensive to just be slightly more convenient for brake and suspension work. I have yet to convince myself the cost is worth it.
Old August 18th, 2023, 07:54 AM

I have one of these https://www.kwik-lift.com/ picked it up for $500 a few years ago it even has a dolly system so you could move it around with the car on it (I have not used them yet)
here is my sons Mustang he had on it I have had the Cutlass my Challenger and 2010 Charger on it with not problems. It does take about 20 minutes to setup.

I am thinking about getting rid of it of a four post lift.

Old August 21st, 2023, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by Andy
x 2.. I am not 6’4” but over 6’ and almost bought a quickjack, then realized its a pain in the butt slithering in from either end versus the side of the car.. it takes me all of 10-15 minutes tops to jack up individual corners to get all 4 jack stands underneath to lift it up.
From where I sit, all of this is six of one, half-dozen of the other. Cars cannot be magically levitated into the air. Any lift system blocks something. I like the quickjack because it lifts from the frame rails at exactly the points that the service manual says the car should be lifted from. Plus, it lifts the car evenly, not one corner then another then another then another as putting four separate jack stands into place entails. No stressing of the frame.

It doesn't block much of anything that I need to get to whereas jack stands mounted under the rear axle and under something up front would be directly in the way. With a lie-on-your-back creeper, access to pretty much anything under the car has been easy, even from the front or rear end, in my experience. No slithering needed.

Last edited by jaunty75; August 21st, 2023 at 01:33 PM.
Old August 21st, 2023, 01:37 PM

From where I sit, all of this is six of one, half-dozen of the other. Cars cannot be magically levitated into the air. Any lift system blocks something. I like the quickjack because it lifts from the frame rails at exactly the points that the service manual says the car should be lifted from. Plus, it lifts the car evenly, not one corner then another then another then another as putting four separate jack stands into place entails. No stressing of the frame.

It doesn't block much of anything that I need to get to whereas jack stands mounted under the rear axle and under something up front would be directly in the way. With a lie-on-your-back creeper, access to pretty much anything under the car has been easy, even from the front or rear end, in my experience. No slithering needed.
I don’t use a creeper, hey if you’re happy with it thats all that matters..
Old August 22nd, 2023, 12:52 PM

Agree with “to each their own”, but how are jackstands in the way when they’re in the exact same place as the quickjack? Only, they’re not blocking the entire area between the wheels…

Also, in the 2+ decades of owning and working on my car, it has never been lifted corner by corner. Always front crossmember and rear axle. No ill effects doing so and half the lifting…

Old August 22nd, 2023, 06:16 PM

As another option, single post in-ground lifts are still available. This one was a used take-out when it was put in 30 plus years ago. Still enough room to pull a trans as long as you set it up right and enough height stand up under the car. About the only tricky thing to do is pull a body off a frame. It can be done, but it's a lot easier on a 2 post lift.

This is obviously a permanant fixture in the garage once installed. Even 2 and 4 post lifts can be un-bolted; not this.