General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Question about '68 to '72 Wagon Tailgate Felts

Search this Thread

Old March 1st, 2019, 12:42 AM

Question about '68 to '72 Wagon Tailgate Felts

I have the inner felt wiper for the tailgate glass from Repops and I presume it is an accurate reproduction of the original parts that I supplied to them to copy. I installed it with the preinstalled mounting clips onto the edge of the inner cover panel, but I'm not sure if I have it right. I can't explain why there is an unpainted ridge left that isn't blue so that the wiper sits below the upper edge of the tailgate. It almost seems like this edge was not painted because it was covered by the original felt strip. I also have some pictures that I took of the inner tailgate panel with the sealing felt. One of those pictures shows the felt strip in a similar position as I have it fitting now, with the unpainted ridge and the other picture shows a sealing strip in the position as it would seem to make sense, with no paint ridge showing. Oddly, the felt strip also has blue paint on it which seems unusual on the inner edge of the tail gate where I wouldn't have expected a repaint on my wagon. I guess, it's possible that I took the second picture after I had already pulled the felt off the inner panel, but I also don't see any blue paint as in the first picture. Does anyone have any pictures of their felt strip as it's supposed to be installed?

Thanks, Tom

Last edited by tcolt; March 1st, 2019 at 12:59 AM.
Old March 1st, 2019, 01:02 AM

Here are the pictures I just took with the brand new felt strip installed on the tailgate inner panel. The way the clips are fastened on the strip it can't go much higher than this to cover the rusty gray ridge. I really don't know what makes sense here anymore...

Old March 3rd, 2019, 09:16 PM

I found some pictures that I luckily took of another Vista Cruiser which seem to show that the felt strip was indeed installed with about 1/2" of exposed inner panel sheet metal above the top edge of the felt. I don't know how that explains my first picture above where it looks like the top edge of the felt is only just below the top edge of the painted inner panel, but maybe it's just an optical illusion and if we could see around the corner we'd see the same rusty non-painted ridge as in my second picture?...