General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Power steering pump question

Search this Thread

Old August 22nd, 2016, 03:33 PM

Power steering pump question

So I found out that the stock power steering pump will not clear the tall valve covers I chose to use with my rebuild. My question is, will a saginaw p series pump work with the stock brackets or will I have to bite the bullet and go with either the mondello or March performance brackets. Original pump and brackets are for a 65 starfire.
Thanks, Zach
Old August 22nd, 2016, 03:57 PM
Administrator

Is your question about the pump or the brackets?
Old August 22nd, 2016, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
Is your question about the pump or the brackets?
Will a saginaw p series work with the stock brackets?
Old August 22nd, 2016, 04:04 PM
Old(s) Fart

Let's back up.

I ASSUME from your screen name that you are working on a 65 with the high-mount PS pump, correct? It would help to know. Do you also have the large reservoir on that 65 pump?

If the problem is clearance between the pump reservoir and the valve cover, there are a boatload of different reservoirs that fit on the original Saginaw pump body. There are even small reservoirs with a remote fill tank used on trucks. This might be a whole lot easier than a complete pump change.

Also, what chassis is the motor in? If you are talking about a 64-67 car with the narrower frame, the 68-up low-mount PS pump brackets MAY still work and solve this problem a different way.
Old August 22nd, 2016, 04:09 PM
Administrator

Let me rephrase my question, is it the pump that is interfering or the brackets won't fit because of the valve covers? Yes, a Saginaw P pump will work but the hoses may need different fittings.
Old August 22nd, 2016, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Let's back up.

I ASSUME from your screen name that you are working on a 65 with the high-mount PS pump, correct? It would help to know. Do you also have the large reservoir on that 65 pump?

If the problem is clearance between the pump reservoir and the valve cover, there are a boatload of different reservoirs that fit on the original Saginaw pump body. There are even small reservoirs with a remote fill tank used on trucks. This might be a whole lot easier than a complete pump change.

Also, what chassis is the motor in? If you are talking about a 64-67 car with the narrower frame, the 68-up low-mount PS pump brackets MAY still work and solve this problem a different way.
You are correct. It's the high mount and has the large reservoir on a 1965 starfire, believe it shares it's platform with a jetstar but not entirely sure. I had to do small modifications to get the brackets to fit with the different dimensions of the aluminum heads and when I put it all together the pump reservoir hits the valve covers, need to lose about 1/2" to 3/4" off the pump reservoir. I have searched summit jegs Google and eBay and found some p series that say they'll work, but are list for sbc and bbc. I haven't been able to find a definite answer on what will work and won't work.
Old August 22nd, 2016, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
Let me rephrase my question, is it the pump that is interfering or the brackets won't fit because of the valve covers? Yes, a Saginaw P pump will work but the hoses may need different fittings.
I got the brackets to fit, but just need to figure out what I can do to get the pump off the valve cover, most parts sites aren't very definitive in saying yes these will work with original brackets for that car or no you'll need aftermarket brackets for that car.
Old August 22nd, 2016, 05:06 PM

Classic65 on my 64 and 67 builds I use later 68 on up smaller PS pump pulley's and brackets etc. no issues with clearance with tall valve covers or other clearances. Have tons of pictures on both builds if you need some visuals and the parts are all over in our parts wanted or for sale sections.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_3547.JPG (80.6 KB, 14 views)
Old August 22nd, 2016, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by therobski
Classic65 on my 64 and 67 builds I use later 68 on up smaller PS pump pulley's and brackets etc. no issues with clearance with tall valve covers or other clearances. Have tons of pictures on both builds if you need some visuals and the parts are all over in our parts wanted or for sale sections.
Will those brackets work with aluminum heads? That was the first issue I came across.