General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Possibly picking up a 1985 cutlass

Search this Thread

Old September 2nd, 2019, 12:31 PM

Possibly picking up a 1985 cutlass

As far as I know it's a salon model, just by google searching. I dont know anything about these cars. The ad says; "bulit 355 SBC, with the built trans, and rear end."

I'm not the most knowledgeable guy when it comes to cars, as far as my little bit of research goes, that's simply a 350 engine, correct? Or am I way off? Also not sure if anyone can enlighten me as to what he means by built trans and rear end? On top of that I would like to ask, is this a stock engine for these cars? I'll be happy with a 350, the cars going to be a project anyway.

Were looking at doing a trade for my 1989 ford f150 custom. My trucks in pretty good shape, will need a few things soonish like new rubber and a windshield.
Anyway I'll put up a photo of each car, not sure if anyone wants to tell me it's a great trade, or run for the hills, or maybe anything else to look out for.

I do have my father in law coming to look at it with me but on the off chance he's not here in time I dont want to miss anything crazy.
I hope I posted this in the right spot, tha is in advance for any input on my decision, I do have a bit of an attachment to my truck but have been a bit bored lately. Oh and he's asking 2000 for the car, I had my truck up for 4000 before bit that's asking a bit high for the lowballers.

Old September 2nd, 2019, 12:58 PM
Administrator

The SBC is not the stock engine for the car and would not be a deal breaker for me. A 355 is stock 350 bored 30 over, whether the rest of the build is for performance or not depends on the other parts used. Built trans and rear could mean many different things, have him show you the receipts of what was done. As far as the deal itself, its probably a good deal depending if the remainder of the car is in good shape or not and how butchered up it is under the hood to get the chevy engine in it.
Old September 2nd, 2019, 01:11 PM
1972 Cutlass Town Sedan

Having a Chevy motor in an Olds wouldn't be a deal breaker for me either, at least its GM lol, I would trade for a Frankenstein GM over a ford any day.
Old September 2nd, 2019, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
The SBC is not the stock engine for the car and would not be a deal breaker for me. A 355 is stock 350 bored 30 over, whether the rest of the build is for performance or not depends on the other parts used. Built trans and rear could mean many different things, have him show you the receipts of what was done. As far as the deal itself, its probably a good deal depending if the remainder of the car is in good shape or not and how butchered up it is under the hood to get the chevy engine in it.
Cool thanks for the info, I'm meeting him in less than an hour, I've got my father in law, who has been a mechanic for many years so I'm hoping he doesn't find anything bad, the car seems pretty decent. Thanks again.
Old September 2nd, 2019, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by skyhigh
Having a Chevy motor in an Olds wouldn't be a deal breaker for me either, at least its GM lol, I would trade for a Frankenstein GM over a ford any day.
At the end of the day I like that's it's an older vehicle ford, GM, or whatever. The other day I looked at a pontiac grand lemans, it had a 350, th350 trans and a shift kit, but the car itself was garbage, it was really too bad.
Old September 2nd, 2019, 03:09 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Wykydtron
Cool thanks for the info, I'm meeting him in less than an hour, I've got my father in law, who has been a mechanic for many years so I'm hoping he doesn't find anything bad, the car seems pretty decent. Thanks again.
Good luck, let us know how it goes.
Old September 2nd, 2019, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
Good luck, let us know how it goes.
No dice on the trade, stupid frame was cracked behind the rear wheels. Otherwise the car was awesome, kinda sucks now i gotta find a cutlass lol
Old September 2nd, 2019, 06:55 PM
Administrator

Frames can be welded if its not too bad.
Old September 2nd, 2019, 07:13 PM

Be sure to look over the engine swap closely. I have seen too many Buick and Olds G body Chevy swaps done by shade tree hillbilly hacks. Everyone swaps Chevy junk because they say Olds engines are too expensive to build. Then you look at the Chevy swap and see the radiator held in with cable ties, wiring with household wire nuts, cobbled together accessory brackets, batteries held in place with rachet straps, 5 feet of rubber hose for the fuel line, the list goes on. Of course, these same Ricky Bobby owners will tell you about how “built” the sbc is. Major selling points always seem to include key phrases like “double hump 2.02 heads”, blueprinted, Holley, 3/4 race cam,
Old September 2nd, 2019, 08:56 PM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

Be aware the vinyl top can hide rust, a lot of it. They come with the spindly 7.5" rear end, better parts help but will still be weak. These cars are not going up in value, stalling or going down if anything.
Old September 3rd, 2019, 03:57 AM

Of the Oldsmobiles of that era I prefer the years with the chrome bumpers, my friend had a very nice 78 that he had almost no mechanical problems with, I used to sometimes borrow it. It was a nice riding comfy car. It was no performance car though with the 262. The body remained in excellent condition for as long as he owned it but a spot on the frame just behind the rear wheel rotted it out. Another friend who was a welder bought it and fixed it. The 78 was replaced by a thing with the quad 4, it was nothing but trouble.
Old September 3rd, 2019, 05:48 AM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

Good check on the rear frame, very common rot point, my 88 is just getting there in a couple of spots. My car stayed 307 powered but they butchered the wiring removing the CCC plus other burnt wiring. The quality control on these cars was no hell. Also try and find one with the handling package, mine handles like a marshmallow. If I could do it over again I would buy a 84 Hurst/Olds, do a stroker 350 with 69 5A heads, beef up the 2004R, shorty headers, duals and done. Even get a 85 to 87 442, handling package and the 8.5" rear end. I could have bought a nice 87 442 for under 5 grand it sold. Ok paint, nice interior, numbers matching and fresh A/C with a new compressor. I saw it for sale with rust for the same $4500 price a couple of years later. I was going to haggle with guy, Wife said we have enough vehicles, we do and I let the ruined car go.

Last edited by olds 307 and 403; September 3rd, 2019 at 05:51 AM.