General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

The Parts Place

Search this Thread

Old March 6th, 2017, 01:20 PM

The Parts Place

Does anybody have any feedback about The Parts Place? I'm contemplating a large order.
​​​​​​​Greg
Old March 6th, 2017, 01:57 PM
72 Olds CS

youll find mixed opinions and experiences w TPP

my experience has been fine, ive never had to return anything which ive read can be problematic.
Old March 6th, 2017, 02:11 PM

X2. No problems except what I've read about returns.
Old March 6th, 2017, 02:14 PM

No problems here so far-------
Old March 6th, 2017, 02:34 PM
Old School Olds

So far so good...
Old March 6th, 2017, 07:38 PM

Never had a problem yet...
Old March 6th, 2017, 07:42 PM
Chevy budget Olds powered

I have pick up service and usually send my girl friend to pick lol. I tell her what to get what to look for and so far so good lol. Picked up 2 door skins for my 72. price was fair condition and fit where great.

I have been using the parts place for a long time but since im local i dont have the issues with returns.
Old March 6th, 2017, 08:19 PM

Ive returned items from Finland, across the globe back to them and got refund.
Theyre good to deal with.
Old March 6th, 2017, 09:31 PM

The parts place

Never had a problem, ordered several times, returns might be an issue
Old March 7th, 2017, 04:14 AM

I've done a lot of business with them over the last 8 months or so including several returns with absolutely no issues.
Old March 7th, 2017, 07:19 AM

I am mixed on them but mostly from experience I had many years ago. Maybe they are better now but I have not used them very much since the trouble I had many years ago. I placed one small order from there a while back for a 71 442 and went ok but the OAI flapper door was not that nice.
Old March 7th, 2017, 11:56 AM

I bought a rear bumper from them, it was an exchange, 2 came with chrome peeling in the box and third came not peeling. after a couple months it started to chip away. I have used them for other things and had good luck
Old March 7th, 2017, 05:44 PM
71 & 72,now I want a 68

In my experience I have learned not to expect much as far as customer service.
If you find issue with a product and call to tell them,they will tell you that you are the first person to report an issue and then proceed to question your credibility. I have lived this same situation a few times with them.
Old March 7th, 2017, 07:10 PM

Will let you know

i ordered a tilt column and lever the other day. It said to specify auto or stick but only had a comment box. Placed order and called them in the AM. Service seemed a little upset that I did not specify but said he would fix it. Later I noticed the tilt lever I ordered was now a turn signal lever. Called back and they said would fix it. They called me later to say the tilt would ship after Wednsday and I said " no problem". So far they seem very cordial and responsive. All my past orders were taken care of good and the one item I ordered ( a fuel line , pump to carb) that was wrong they had me send a picture and informed me that date of build on my car affects the part # I need. Since 2013 I have been happy with them.
Old March 10th, 2017, 04:29 AM

In my humble opinion, there are better vendors out there. There were a lot of customer complaints years ago, maybe they have cleaned up their act, but I doubt it.
Old March 10th, 2017, 05:22 PM

I built 2 cars with mostly there parts and had 3 of 8 side marker lenses fall out and there bumpers have a lot of scratches under the chrome.I think most of the parts you get from all the vendors are made by the same places.If you have to return something you are not going to have much luck and you are always the first person to have any problems with the parts they sell.If I haden't bought all my parts at the same time I probably wouldn't have bought from them after a couple problems.If you do buy from them use EBAY and try them as soon as you get them and if the part is bad ebay will make them take care of it.
Old March 10th, 2017, 05:33 PM

I ordered a tilt column and on the site it said specify four speed or console auto. It did not have a box for that. Called them and they said the comment box is where you do that. They said they will send the 4 speed column but the invoice has the same part number. Is there a difference in the column between stick and auto floor shift? Called and they said " it will work". please advise on this so I can ask them to correct it if nessesary.
Old March 10th, 2017, 06:40 PM

I have bought parts from them for over 20+ years. It is a hit or miss on quality, fit, and finish. There front inner fender plates (wells) are poor quality and have fitment issues just to name an item. Also, I got a driveshaft from them and it was really out of balance and I had to send it to a driveshaft company and it took them two tries to get it right! Some of their Olds parts are good. I only buy from them when they are at a large car show or swap meet so I can visually see the part. In-Line Tube sells pretty good quality as well as Fusick. The Parts Place and In-Line Tube seem to sell the most Olds parts....................Just My 2 Cents
Old March 10th, 2017, 06:48 PM

Just hoping I got the right column

Again, does anyone know if there is a difference between floor auto and floor 4speed colimns?
Old March 11th, 2017, 05:54 AM

I do not believe there is a difference between the two columns. The toe board cover is different as it has a hole for the clutch pedal.
Old March 11th, 2017, 06:41 AM

I have ordered a ton of things from them. Great service, if you want to know about back order items before you order, i would call ahead and place the order over the phone. Also they prefer it seems to offer in house credit if you return things..

I have a set of roof rail weather stripping and door weather stripping for 76/77 cutlass S as well as a complete set of side marker light gaskets. If you are interested.
Old March 11th, 2017, 06:50 AM

I bought the toe plate. Don't think that comes with it. Just wondered why they would need you to specify stick or auto floor. I asked but he didn't say. I'm sure it will be ok. Only things I can think of that may/may not be different are back drive or reverse light wiring. Thanks for the replies. I'll post pictures of it when it gets here.
Old March 11th, 2017, 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by Gary M
I bought the toe plate. Don't think that comes with it. Just wondered why they would need you to specify stick or auto floor. I asked but he didn't say. I'm sure it will be ok. Only things I can think of that may/may not be different are back drive or reverse light wiring. Thanks for the replies. I'll post pictures of it when it gets here.
As a parts sales man at a John deere agriculture dealership I will answer question on the parts place rep's question.

When Joe Farmer comes in and asks for a X, as a parts guy I ask him for what the model of the tractor is. So I can open up the correct online book. Upon said book opening it may then ask me to choose from: serial number breaks, type of transmission, is it a Tier 3, IT4, or full tier 4 engine, russian, south american, etc.. While these or un mentioned options may not seem like pertinent queries to get to your part, for a parts man navigating through the online books or counter books, quite important at finding the correct part diagram.
Old March 11th, 2017, 09:18 AM

Again, does anyone know if there is a difference between floor auto and floor 4speed colimns?
The columns are the same (assumming you are talking about the 1969 to 1972 a body) The difference (i assume the reason they are specifing) is the switch that operates the backup lights is specific to application and can be switched easily.
Old March 11th, 2017, 10:18 AM

What parts are you contemplating ordering? Maybe some one here has ordered some and will tell you their opinion on that part.
Old March 11th, 2017, 02:57 PM
Administrator

Just a guess, I would assume its because the automatic column has a back drive linkage and the 4 speed does not.
Old March 11th, 2017, 03:18 PM

Thanks

I confused this thread with another I started and highjacked so I PMd the OP to apologize. Thanks for the response.
Old March 11th, 2017, 05:42 PM

Possible purchase

What I'm looking at now are things like the sport steering wheel, sport mirrors, instrument cluster trim. Not a huge amount but a fair expenditure.
Old March 11th, 2017, 06:14 PM

The original sport steering wheels get sticky occasionally due to a flaw in design. The reproductions do not have as deep grain on the wheel but don't have to be cleaned with rubbing alcohol occasionally to get rid of the sticky. I have an original with the base but needs the horn and center cap parts. I bought the reproduction to be rid of cleanings but if you want original I can sell it to you. The repro I got from parts place is great. The mirrors from parts place should be good too. I find it easier to buy reproduction than spend more to restore original since it does not matter to me. It all looks the same in the end.
Old March 11th, 2017, 06:58 PM

One more place that sells parts
originalpartsgroup.com
You can get catalogs from some of these places.
Old March 11th, 2017, 07:30 PM

My experience with them has been OK have had a few fitment issues but nothing the wasn't fixable
CJ