General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Opintion on 56' Motor/Trans swap

Search this Thread

Old June 9th, 2015, 10:52 PM

Opintion on 56' Motor/Trans swap

So Ive had my 56 s88 sedan for a year now. The original motor runs okay, but the Jetaway trans wont shift to 4th gear. It also had a leak but I slowed it greatly with additive just to get by. I was planning one doing a valve job on the motor, and have all the gaskets and will just take heads to the machine shop. I was planning on having the Jetaway rebuilt but havent really looked into the cost just yet. I dont have any transmission experience or I would just do it myself.

However, I buddy of mine found a 394 and hydro trans from a 62 Ambulance that had both rebuilt two years ago, but never installed.
Both for $750.

Great Price, but two concerns are:
-The picture show a missing carb, distributor, timing chain cover, harmonic balancer pully, etc. (which the sell think me make have most of it but is not sure because he bought it from a friend when they lost the ambulance in a storage seizure.)
- I had a 63 s88 that didnt run and was told by a couple of local shops that they didnt want to touch because it was rare... I dont know.
- While the 324 and Jetaway might still be rare, it definitely more popular (more parts available) from what I'm seeing...

But so, Im very tempted because money is very tight on my budget (and the brand new wife reminds me of this haha). I have to admit that the thought of swapping for a 425 or 455 and 400R was entering my mind but was planning on waiting to get what I could out of the stock (just looking to cruise more reliably.)

So I'd appreciate your thoughts!
Old June 10th, 2015, 04:52 AM

I wouldn't get into any sort of engine swap on a budget, unless you don't mind spending years getting it together.
Have you done a complete basic tune-up on the 324? Plugs, plug wires, points, condenser, timing, carb kit, etc. And test the compression before you pull the heads.
When it's running, listen for hissing or sucking sounds to find vacuum leaks.
Your trans will not shift properly with vacuum leaks. Try to get it to start and run properly before you pull the heads or fault the transmission.
If money is tight, use the KISS principle.
Keep it stock, and get the trans rebuilt when you can afford it.