General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Oldsmobile "We Build Them" License Plate

Search this Thread

Old August 28th, 2016, 04:09 PM

Oldsmobile "We Build Them" License Plate

I have acquired a few of these over the years. White with red lettering and borders. They also say Lansing, Michigan at the bottom. I am curious if anybody can tell me when and what the circumstance of their production was? I assume they were given to Olds employees in lansing. Is this correct? If so when?

Thanks

Mike

Old August 29th, 2016, 03:19 PM

I'm going to take a wild guess that this was mid-70s or later. Reason being, I know that in the '60s and at least early-70s Michigan required two license plates on a car, front and back. I base this on the stack of pairs of old Michigan plates in my Dad's basement. I don't think Oldsmobile would waste money giving its employees something they couldn't use. The fonts look like something from the late-70s or early-80s, too.
Old August 29th, 2016, 06:59 PM

I am uncertain of the specific issue of these, or for that matter if they were in fact produced by the manufacturer... I do collect license plates though, and I have several of these as well. They are just pretty cool. They also make nice gifts for Olds-minded friends.
Old August 30th, 2016, 10:36 AM

Just for the record, I collect vanity license plates like this and I would LOVE to have one! So, if either of you would be interested in selling one to me, please private message me. I could also trade one of our local Mopar show plates from about 15 years ago....
Old August 30th, 2016, 12:52 PM

Ok, I'll report what little I can. It was about 1980 or 81 or 82 when these were given to Lansing Olds employees. I don't remember if these were from Oldsmobile or the UAW. There was also baseball hats, keychains and other stuff with this slogan. For a while they seemed to be all over the place in Lansing. ~BOB
Old August 30th, 2016, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by Hurst/Olds 73/74
Just for the record, I collect vanity license plates like this and I would LOVE to have one! So, if either of you would be interested in selling one to me, please private message me. I could also trade one of our local Mopar show plates from about 15 years ago....
Be patient and keep a watch on zbay for these..They pop up now and again
Old August 30th, 2016, 06:33 PM
Shoveling Snow

My friend reproduced these a few years back and most people would be hard pressed to the the original from the repo plate. They were also made in a size for a bicycle.
Old August 31st, 2016, 05:46 AM

Originally Posted by Carshinebob
Ok, I'll report what little I can. It was about 1980 or 81 or 82 when these were given to Lansing Olds employees. I don't remember if these were from Oldsmobile or the UAW. There was also baseball hats, keychains and other stuff with this slogan. For a while they seemed to be all over the place in Lansing. ~BOB
This is it. There is a softbound 8-1/2 X 11 book which was produced by the local associated with Lansing Oldsmobile manufacturing and that slogan was their mantra. I am sure I have seen bicycle plates which are identical but of course small. I have the book but would have to look for it.
Old August 31st, 2016, 10:59 AM

Thanks for all of the input. I appreciate the information. As stated they come up fairly often on eBay. Ive paid from $5 up to $20 for them. The homecoming show also seems to have many vendors selling them. Makes sense given its Lansing location. I also have one of the bicycle ones as well. Apparently much less common. I was actually disappointed when i got it. I thought it was a regular license plate when I ordered it, the eBay picture was misleading. It has 2 additional small holes in it for mounting. Again, thanks for all the replies.
Old August 31st, 2016, 03:59 PM

Since we're on the subject, I thought I would post a picture of some of My GM factory/union local plates. I've picked up a few others since then. Always on the lookout for others.

Old August 31st, 2016, 05:31 PM

as long as people are posting,how many of these has anyone seen?

011_15.jpg
012_11.jpg

found this one and it had to go on the 49
Old September 3rd, 2016, 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by coldwar
This is it. There is a softbound 8-1/2 X 11 book which was produced by the local associated with Lansing Oldsmobile manufacturing and that slogan was their mantra. I am sure I have seen bicycle plates which are identical but of course small. I have the book but would have to look for it.

This book - And it's not in there. Will try to recall where I saw it.

Last edited by coldwar; September 3rd, 2016 at 08:28 AM.
Old August 9th, 2017, 06:01 AM

Originally Posted by coldwar
X2 I grew up in Lansing and my dad worked in Building 70. I remember going to a couple of events in the early to mid 80's where you could tour the buildings and each one handed out different things. Somewhere around here I've got a couple of those license plates, the bicycle sized plate, a stamped ash tray, playing cards, and a few keychains. I've also got a few plastic molded '83 or '84 Hurst Olds.
Old August 10th, 2017, 08:33 AM

Very cool plate. I have 2 cars built in Lansing. Was there for the 100th anniversary before GM stop building Oldsmobiles. What a great event in a very proud city. Al
Old August 10th, 2017, 09:37 AM

Did Oldsmobile or the dealerships ever put plates on their new cars showing the model year? I recall Plymouth, Dodge, and others having them in promotional photos with each manufacturer having a distinct design. If so, would like to replicate one for the front of the car.
Old August 10th, 2017, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by anthonyP
Did Oldsmobile or the dealerships ever put plates on their new cars showing the model year? I recall Plymouth, Dodge, and others having them in promotional photos with each manufacturer having a distinct design. If so, would like to replicate one for the front of the car.
The cars in some old GM promo photos have silver and black Oldsmobile plates with the rocket emblem. I've also seen orange/red/yellow "psychedelic" 1970 plates. They pop up on eBay from time to time.
Old August 10th, 2017, 07:30 PM

I believe those olds build them plates were available thru local 652 in lansing and the fisher plates thru local 602. they may still have some