General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Oldsmobile hot-rodding for dummies or similar reading

Search this Thread

Old July 27th, 2013, 06:50 PM

Oldsmobile hot-rodding for dummies or similar reading

So part of the allure of Oldsmobile is owning something that's a bit more rare and unique than all of the Chebby guys... but a drawback seems to be that information is just as rare

After driving the car as-is for about 3 years with just basic maintenance, a recent promotion has me ready to start the upgrade/restoration process (no not like 6 figures lol but some spare cash for fun every month)

I don't want to just start throwing parts at the car and HOPE that they work together when I'm done, so I've been trying to research and plan a build to suit my goals.

So far, I've been using the internet as my main source of information (including this forum) but the internet being what it is, after hours of research I usually find myself with more questions and more overwhelmed and confused then before I started

With Chev & Ford there are basically "cookie cutter" builds that have been done the same way by hundreds of people and you know exactly what parts to use and what the result will be

I won't give a sob story or anything, but I'm a younger guy working full time (plus other stuff going on in my life) and rather than moving forward I feel like I've hit a brick wall

Basically, although not as common as the big 3 builds, I KNOW others have built up olds engines -- I just need to be pointed to a source where some of this information has been published so I can read what others have done that works

I know for some, custom building and experimenting with different parts is part of the fun, but I don't think there's any shame in "borrowing" an existing, proven build. After all - imitation is the most sincere form of flattery
Old July 27th, 2013, 06:57 PM

I suppose I should also clarify more specifically what I'm looking for

All of my cars will be street-only, I would just like them to have a little more zip as well as better handling characteristics than stock (but I'm not going to the strip or an autocross track - or if I do it'd just be for sh*ts and giggles)

Cars & Engines
The 1970 Cutlass S will probably be what I'm tackling first (it's what I've been doing the most research on) -- probably gonna keep the Olds 350 that's in it

Also will be looking for info on the 1st generation olds V8's as I've got a '58 Dynamic 88 with the original 371 -- I was originally planning an engine swap on this one, but it would actually be pretty cool to do a build around that

I may also start working on my Dad's '66 F-85 -- has a 330 in it -- from what I've gathered, if I find a good source on the 350 there should be quite a bit of crossover on this one
Old July 27th, 2013, 07:46 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Personally, I liked Bill Trovato's How to Build Max Performance V8s, and I gather that Joe Mondello's book (though not his old company) is also quite good.

- Eric
Old July 27th, 2013, 08:00 PM

Isn't that called the "engine builds" forum here?