General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Old(s) Radios...

Search this Thread

Old August 22nd, 2016, 12:10 PM
4 Barrels of Laughs

Old(s) Radios...

As some that might know me from elsewhere, I have a hobby aligned with our antique biz of restoring old radios (tubes to transistors) and stereos etc.

Im just wondering, what do you do with yours when bringing the car back to life? I do and have done automotive stuff (from tubes to transistors).

I took the regency out friday night to get gas and turned on the radio. It of course sounds like crap compared to anything today, but I noticed it sounded like *** indicative of a bad DC balance or a dry output cap.

So, aside from asking what you do with your radios, does anyone have old schematics of them? I can find the modern stuff and the tube stuff, but GM solid state - its like nothing ever made it to the 'net.

And if you ever need a source for parts or the IF transformer pointed out...just ask...(heck I have prolly 90% of what they would need in stock...)
Old August 22nd, 2016, 06:35 PM
Tastefully Hooped

Originally Posted by quaddriver
As some that might know me from elsewhere, I have a hobby aligned with our antique biz of restoring old radios (tubes to transistors) and stereos etc.

Im just wondering, what do you do with yours when bringing the car back to life? I do and have done automotive stuff (from tubes to transistors).

I took the regency out friday night to get gas and turned on the radio. It of course sounds like crap compared to anything today, but I noticed it sounded like *** indicative of a bad DC balance or a dry output cap.

So, aside from asking what you do with your radios, does anyone have old schematics of them? I can find the modern stuff and the tube stuff, but GM solid state - its like nothing ever made it to the 'net.

And if you ever need a source for parts or the IF transformer pointed out...just ask...(heck I have prolly 90% of what they would need in stock...)
about 20 years ago i bought a box full of bu!ck & oldsmobile delco radios... approx 30 or 40 of them. i bought them from a guy that used to fix the radios for guys in his car club. he was a die hard bu!ck guy in his late 70's or so. most of the radios were for Bu!ck (go figure) but in the bunch were a dozen or so oldsmobile am's, am/fm's, wonder bars etc. i sold all the Bu!ck stuff & saved 3 olds am/fm's & 2 spare olds am radios for parts. i have them in storage along with some delco manuals i purchased from the same guy. last summer i took a good on/off switch from one of the donor am's & was able to fix the original delco am from my 65 442.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
20160402_104944.jpg (3.02 MB, 17 views)
Old August 23rd, 2016, 03:57 AM
4 Barrels of Laughs

Cannibalism! Its the cornerstone of the hobby....

Do those delco manuals have schematics in them? I always submit stuff like that to the various online databases so that others may live...
Old August 23rd, 2016, 04:11 AM
Oldsdruid

Delco Radio published service books with schematics. I've seen them for plenty of 1960s years.

I've also found Sam's Photofact radio service guides to be handy.
Old August 23rd, 2016, 06:57 AM
4 Barrels of Laughs

Originally Posted by rocketraider
Delco Radio published service books with schematics. I've seen them for plenty of 1960s years.

I've also found Sam's Photofact radio service guides to be handy.
A lot of sams from the early 60's 62? 63? hit the public domain and you can get online...its the late 60's and 70's stuff I see needing fixed that can modernize well, but it becomes a pain to reverse engineer the traces...

did they put the radio SCMs in the service manuals? if so, can I see an example? (I have never seen one personally in the chassi manual or electrical manual)
Old August 23rd, 2016, 08:14 AM
Oldsdruid

No. The radio books were separate publications and covered all radios available in all carlines for a specific model year.