General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Oil Filter Relocation

Search this Thread

Old December 7th, 2012, 07:21 PM

Oil Filter Relocation

I had no idea where this question should go - so it is landing in General Discussion.

I'm really interested in doing an oil filter relocation on my car because my headers prevent me from using the OEM-style oil filter. The headers make it so that I really can only go forward with the hoses... I have been looking for a good spot to mount the filter bracket. I saw a guy's Camaro (2nd gen) who had put it up behind the headlight and it got me thinking...

So I yanked out the charcoal canister and mocked up a piece of sheet metal into a similar position.

Is there anything wrong with this plan? Looks like the hoses would be pretty long (maybe 3-4 feet), but very little rise, still well below the valve covers. I put a hole in the middle of the bracket and if I decide to go this way, I'll shape it to drain down and out of the conveniently located hole in the body below.

Anybody have any other ideas or better places to put it? The charcoal canister has never been connected, so I figure it is no big deal to just take it out.

Oh yeah, hoses will be -10 AN, two 90* sweeps and two straight fittings total.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
oil_relo_1.jpg (48.8 KB, 20 views)
oil_relo_2.jpg (62.3 KB, 19 views)
oil_relo_3.jpg (62.9 KB, 20 views)