General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Now what’s the problem

Search this Thread

Old July 8th, 2018, 07:48 PM
Smash

Now what’s the problem

ok I will be the first to admit it’s been really slow going. I own my own contractors business and I’m basically chained to it 7 days a week. So my 2 72 Cutlass’s are both in various stages of undress. I do however make sure to start them at least every other Sunday. A couple of Sundays ago had a few hours was tinkering but car would not start. Do all the usual stuff charged the battery check this and that found a couple bad electrical connections. Wiggled them around car started right up. (72 Cutlass s small blk 350 ) The connections were from the previous owner installing new coil and distributor I assuming wires not sure. The poor connections were at the coil and what appeared to be a old maybe original ballast resistor mounted on the fire wall that’s where I jiggled and it started. While crimping on new sta cons and just cleaning it all up the ballast resistor basically broke in half and was a piece of crap. Went to local Napa store down the street and installed the only one they had. Looks damn close not sure of the specs on it though or what I should have. Remade all the connections car started right up no problem. Two weeks later turn key got nothing, everything else works it’s not a battery issue. I have no continuity between the resistor I’m thinking it’s fried. Bypassed it just to hear her crank and nothing. All grounds and starter connections are good. Any ideas ?
Old July 9th, 2018, 06:00 AM
Administrator

A ballast resister was not used on your car, GM installed a resistance wire, hopefully no redundancy there. Are you running points or ? Are you saying it won't crank or it won't fire at the end of your description?
Old July 10th, 2018, 12:01 AM
Smash

Does nothing turn key nothing. no points
Old July 10th, 2018, 04:34 AM
Administrator

If it does not even click it could be a bad/out of adjustment neutral safety switch mounted to the column under the dash, or a bad solenoid. You can check with a test light to see if you have voltage on both purple wires with the key in the start position. If you have voltage on both purple wires, go to the starter solenoid and see if there is voltage on the purple wire with the key in start there. If no voltage at either purple wire you have an open between the ignition switch and the nss or bad ign switch. If there is power on one purple then you have a bad nss or its out of adjustment. Jumper the 2 purple wire and see if the car will start.
Old July 10th, 2018, 09:32 AM
Smash

I will do just that and let you know thx Eric. This is why I shop here.
Might be selling one of these 72’s need the space (two car garage with two cars inside for last two yrs makes it tough to work on one) not getting any younger I’d like to drive and enjoy one before I get put in a home. Thx again