General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

New spark plugs, wires, and cylinder videos.

Search this Thread

Old September 30th, 2022, 03:38 PM

New spark plugs, wires, and cylinder videos.

Success with new NGK spark plugs, and new wires from Lectric Limited. (I know - not a biggie, but it was fun doing something I could start and finish. Just had to get A/C compressor out of the way for #2, and even that was easy enough.)

These AC Delco plugs were old. They look older than the 4 years ago when I bought this from showroom place. But I think they look ok, considering. Just burned, no pitting, oil only on the threads, not down in.
Wires were nice, but I had to switch two of them. The distributor is rotated one position - something for another day.

While I was at it, these are scope videos down into cylinder 8. Any thoughts on these? I don't know enough if the piston seems ok or not?

Straight view, showing top of piston.

Side camera view, showing the sides of the cylinder until it bumps into the top of the piston.

Last edited by goodeye69; September 30th, 2022 at 03:39 PM. Reason: Switch video links.
Old September 30th, 2022, 05:42 PM
same but different

Hi Bob. In the first video I can see the factory notch in the piston indicating original pistons. From both, I assume its a factory engine, with decent crotch hatching still left in that cylinder.
Old September 30th, 2022, 06:23 PM

Great, thanks. I didn't know about cross hatching, so I'm reading about it now. I looked at 3 cylinders, and they all looked like this (this one the piston was down the farthest). The car is mostly factory from what I can tell. Notes with the purchase said a new short block and engine rebuild about 65K miles (I'm guessing mid-80s, from what I know about the car's history). Whether they kept or replaced the pistons, I don't know. Good to know the cylinders look like decent condition.