General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Need to make some AC Brackets. Any Suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old July 17th, 2023, 08:50 AM

Need to make some AC Brackets. Any Suggestions?

A good friend of mine gave me a complete (working) air conditioning system out of an older rv. It uses a Sanden style compressor, which will be bolted to my 86' 307 engine in my 77' Cutlass. I just got the parts last night and am currently in the compressor bracket design phase. I know someone who has crates of assorted brackets at his junk yard. He says he's sure he has Olds brackets in there somewhere but I don't know what they look like, So any pictures anyone might have of the factory set would help me search the haystack for that needle. I'm also not afraid to just fab my own. I have some basic metal working skills, but limited toolage, so id love to see what others have done in a similar situation. Also, if I'm reading the belt diagrams correctly, my alternator bracket is incorrect also as the alternator has to be moved to the passenger side to accommodate the AC compressor. Assuming that is correct, what alternator bracket do I need? Thanks in advance, and hope everyone has a great day!
Old July 17th, 2023, 10:06 AM

Here are 2 well rated aftermarket suppliers for AC systems & components.

Old Air Products

https://www.originalair.com/

OE Oldsmobile brackets locate the alternator on the driver's side and the AC compressor goes on the passenger's side.
Old July 18th, 2023, 09:51 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

When I put AC in the 54 I had, I used a bracket like the one below and fabricated the bracket to mount it. It made the job lots easier. This bracket was designed to mount a Sanden compressor in place of one of the old York compressors. Get some of that white cardboard from somewhere like Hobby Lobby and design the brackets to mount it. Using this bracket will make you life easier. This one seems to be pricier than the one I bought but you can probably shop around and find a better price. Here is the link to this one.

Conversion Kit - T/CCI, York Style to Sanden/Seltec (1601005) - AC Parts for Auto, Truck, Off-road, AG, & Farm
Old July 18th, 2023, 10:19 AM

Thanks Guys, redoldsman, do you happen to have a picture of your bracket set up? I know it will be different, i just wanted to see what your ideas were. I like that bracket you posted.
Old July 18th, 2023, 10:59 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Old July 18th, 2023, 11:01 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

These were made for my 54. What we did was make the bracket and them bolt the purchased compressor bracket onto it. Sorry the pictures are so large.
Old July 18th, 2023, 09:03 PM

Totally fine, the bigger the picture, the better the resolution. they look great. and thanks again! Seeing what you did really helps. is that a welded brace on the bracket piece that holds up the purchased bracket? I haven't welded anything since I took metal shop (many moons ago) I have friends who weld, but I need to give them at least an idea (better yet a drawing that shows what they need to do for me) this helps me immensely! As the summer heat blasts on, it occurs to me daily that this is the only thing holding me from being cool and comfortable thanks again for helping me!
Old July 19th, 2023, 04:37 AM

Vintage air sells brackets for Oldsmobile.

Old July 19th, 2023, 09:05 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

If you can purchase brackets that is the way to go. Nobody makes brackets to add AC to a 54 Olds so that is why I made my own. I actually cut the templates out in cardboard and then had them made.
Old July 20th, 2023, 11:21 PM

Thanks for the info guys! Ill just have to save up for the vintage air brackets. The heat will just make me save faster