General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Need Help - Car won’t drive - these are the issues

Search this Thread

Old July 14th, 2019, 12:46 PM

Need Help - Car won’t drive - these are the issues

Hey Guys

So I have A couple of Questions.

So like I said before I have a 1955 Oldsmobile with a 403 6.6 Engine in it.

Issues before - Gas Tank had rust in it - had to get it rebuilt by “Moyers Gas Tank repair” and the Battery keeps running out

After getting the tank fix the car started up fine, I let it sit for like a month, until I ordered the gaskets it - oil filter and exhaust manifold

Now idk if it’s the battery that I’m getting from (Home Depot) But when we try to start the car it goes from 12v down to 8 volt

(so something is also drawing to much voltage from the battery)

And also the starter stared making a grinding noise & the car started for little bit and when I started to drive shut off

Even tho we changed the gas filter was change dirt and gas tank was rebuild there is still dirt coming out when we moved the filter

So can it be the Gas pump that needs to be changed??

Can it be the line?

Why does the battery die so quick even tho I changed it ?? Is it the battery it self? Should i get a battery from autozone? Is the alternator: Generator an issue?

Why is the starter starting to make a grinding noise?

I want the car to run without cutting off or misfiring

Also I got Acdelco R46SZ spark plug are there special wires that go with the ??

Thanks for you help

Last edited by Queenzflip; July 14th, 2019 at 01:46 PM.
Old July 14th, 2019, 01:34 PM
Rocket Renegade!

You lost me at "exhaust filter"'
Old July 14th, 2019, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by '69442ragtop
You lost me at "exhaust filter"'
Meant to put manifold gasket sorry
Old July 14th, 2019, 02:06 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Queenzflip
Hey Guys

Issues before - Gas Tank had rust in it - had to get it rebuilt by “Moyers Gas Tank repair” and the Battery keeps running out

After getting the tank fix the car started up fine, I let it sit for like a month, until I ordered the gaskets it - oil filter and exhaust manifold

Now idk if it’s the battery that I’m getting from (Home Depot) But when we try to start the car it goes from 12v down to 8 volt

And also the starter stared making a grinding noise & the car started for little bit and when I started to drive shut off

Even tho we changed the gas filter was change dirt and gas tank was rebuild there is still dirt coming out when we moved the filter

Can it be the line?

There may have been left over crud in the line and pump, some may have gotten into the carb.

Why does the battery die so quick even tho I changed it ?? Is it the battery it self? Should i get a battery from autozone? Is the alternator: Generator an issue?

You have to hook an amp meter in line with a battery cable to the battery and see how much parasitic draw there is.

Bearings and bushing worn out, flexplate missing teeth, bad starter drive...

Most of us do, have you checked for fuel, replaced points and set dwell/timing?

Any standard wireset will work.

Thanks for you help
Old July 14th, 2019, 05:48 PM
72 Olds CS

If your car has HEI you need hei wires if your car has points you need std wires
Old July 14th, 2019, 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by Queenzflip
Hey Guys

Can it be the line?

Thanks for you help
The place that did the tank repair, did they put a liquid tank liner in it? If they just cleaned the rust out and maybe patched a hole or two the tank will soon rust out without a liner. A liner would have also eliminated any loose debris that might be in the tank. Still there could be debris in the plumbing.

Is it possible the battery is defective. I recently purchased two like batteries for two different vehicles and one will crank either vehicle fine but the other one drags in either vehicle.

Hard to say about the starter grinding. It may be the bendix not fully engaging the flywheel or the flywheel may be worn out.

Misfiring can take a lot of tinkering. You need to test every spark plug to see if it's firing. Also the cylinder needs compression for it to fire. If you have one or more valves not fully seating it can make the engine run as rough as if the spark plug was completely fouled. You might do a compression test on all of the cylinders to see if one or more is dramatically different than the others. I just had a valve job done on a car. Six cylinder, 5 of the cylinders was getting 105 psi to 140 psi but one cylinder was only getting 60. The valve job made the engine run great. You can also test the exhaust valves by holding a dollar bill over the tail pipe. If it seems to be trying to suck the bill in as much as blowing out you have a bad exhaust valve. That's what was happening on my car. I hooked up the cylinder up to compressed air at top dead center and air just went out the tail pipe.