General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

The mythic J-2R

Search this Thread

Old June 11th, 2016, 04:02 AM

Location: Cairns, Australia and Port Moresby, Papua New Guinea
Smile The mythic J-2R

I'm wondering who (if anyone!) has or even has seen live in the flesh the famous mythic 1957 J-2R apparently for NASCAR teams only or maybe 'export' only, or is it really true that it is bigfoot's ride???
Old June 11th, 2016, 05:58 PM

Don't know about anything bigfoot but the 371 NASCAR valve covers were different and can be idenatfed easily by their clearance bumps for the higher lift rockers and larger lift cam that was offered. I have seen them two times but not on NASCAR blocks. I believe there were only about 500 sets of covers and engines made by Oldsmobile in 57 for NASCAR. There were after market dimpled valve covers made and they show up from time to time on Ebay...... Tedd
Old June 11th, 2016, 08:03 PM
morgan

PHP Code:

Originally Posted by Erik Andersen
I'm wondering who (if anyone!) has or even has seen live in the flesh the famous mythic 1957 J-2R apparently for NASCAR teams only or maybe 'export' only, or is it really true that it is bigfoot's ride???
Well if bigfoot had a j-2 you probably could find him in your back yard in New Gui
nea...it may also be the only place bobo hasnt looked
Old June 11th, 2016, 09:50 PM

Is the J2R different than the J2? A fellow Olds Club member has a J2 so I am not sure if this is what yo are referring to.
Old June 11th, 2016, 11:22 PM

Below are some bits of information on the J-2R which I gathered from several sources. They may not be completely in agreement.

Oldsmobile offered a "R" version with a very long duration and higher lift camshaft, requiring special dimples in the valve covers so that the rockers woud not bind (a rare , highly sought after piece). These engines were to be the "killer" engine in NASCAR, where Olds was very active, but the AMA racing ban relegated the stock of these engines to drag racers, where even in the heavy 88 the car made a good showing. Based upon the times which the car achieved in the quarter mile, it was estimated that the J-2 R made close to 370 hp, or the magic one horse per cube milestone.

And then there was the 1957-58 400 HP 371cid J-2R. For those that don't know, the J-2 was Oldsmobile's first Tri-Carb, delivering 300-312 HP in in street trim in '57 - '58 in 98s and S-88s. What many do not know, that before the AMA's famous racing ban (the Big Three agreed not to promote racing or build cars specifically for racing - apparently unheard over at Chevrolet), Olds was the hot GM ticket in NASCAR and USAC stock car racing. While supposedly designed for Interstate high-speed cruising, the J-2R was Oldsmobile's secret weapon in the stock car circuit. (Richard Petty's dad Lee raced one in those years).

Olds had some over the counter parts that upped the ante: a high lift long duration mechanical cam, oversized valves, and a more efficient oil pump. The 371 J-2R is identified by the "bumps" on the valve covers for rocker arm clearance (see picture). The J-2R never had an official HP rating, but those in the know said that 400 flywheel HP was a certainty in race trim and 350 real street HP was a no-brainer - not to mention the 425 ft. lbs. of torque.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
J-2R.jpg (58.4 KB, 291 views)
BobbyMyersFinal.jpg (74.7 KB, 268 views)
Olds 43.jpg (24.7 KB, 233 views)
Old June 12th, 2016, 05:43 AM

Location: Cairns, Australia and Port Moresby, Papua New Guinea
Thanks Pogo69, I'll go looking in the PNG bush!
My wife and I used to have a film crew up there which went out bush, maybe something might be in the background somewhere!
Old December 25th, 2017, 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by Ozzie
Below are some bits of information on the J-2R which I gathered from several sources. They may not be completely in agreement.

Oldsmobile offered a "R" version with a very long duration and higher lift camshaft, requiring special dimples in the valve covers so that the rockers woud not bind (a rare , highly sought after piece). These engines were to be the "killer" engine in NASCAR, where Olds was very active, but the AMA racing ban relegated the stock of these engines to drag racers, where even in the heavy 88 the car made a good showing. Based upon the times which the car achieved in the quarter mile, it was estimated that the J-2 R made close to 370 hp, or the magic one horse per cube milestone.

And then there was the 1957-58 400 HP 371cid J-2R. For those that don't know, the J-2 was Oldsmobile's first Tri-Carb, delivering 300-312 HP in in street trim in '57 - '58 in 98s and S-88s. What many do not know, that before the AMA's famous racing ban (the Big Three agreed not to promote racing or build cars specifically for racing - apparently unheard over at Chevrolet), Olds was the hot GM ticket in NASCAR and USAC stock car racing. While supposedly designed for Interstate high-speed cruising, the J-2R was Oldsmobile's secret weapon in the stock car circuit. (Richard Petty's dad Lee raced one in those years).

Olds had some over the counter parts that upped the ante: a high lift long duration mechanical cam, oversized valves, and a more efficient oil pump. The 371 J-2R is identified by the "bumps" on the valve covers for rocker arm clearance (see picture). The J-2R never had an official HP rating, but those in the know said that 400 flywheel HP was a certainty in race trim and 350 real street HP was a no-brainer - not to mention the 425 ft. lbs. of torque.

Not to muddy the waters..... I recall reading an article on the J-2, maybe in Hemmings or someplace. I was mentioned that there was a special parts list made available to the "public".

I did know a guy who was an Olds fanatic, "back in the day". As I recall, there was a "W-1" designation attached to the 371. I am not sure if it was only camshaft related. This guy was pretty friendly with the "parts department" at the Olds dealer.

I have seen those dimpled valve covers. The pair I saw were chromed and I assume this guy had them chromed. He liked the '57-58 J-2. He may have "punched" (bored) the 371 to 394 and I know he used Jahns forged pistons.
He swapped the "371" between a variety of vehicles (faded blue '50 Olds, faded brown '50 Olds, black '56 Olds convertible, 1932 Ford "B") so he could play with the kids.

I believe the story I heard was the "dimpled valve covers" were mandatory to clear the Gotha adjustable rocker arms adjusting screw. I am assuming this cam was a "solid lifter cam" and needed valve clearances set.

Any idea what the cam specs were ?
Ralph
Old June 14th, 2019, 05:00 PM

Smile Yes, they exist

There's one in the garage. It's in a 1934 Ford. The engine was purchased new in 57 and the R kit was installed. All the original J2 parts were kept in the original boxes. The car ran at the tracks around Philadelphia in 1957, It ran 13 flat at 113 MPH with only 2nd and 3rd gear, (1st gear was broke). I have color 8 MM film of races against 1957 T-birds, Corvettes and other boats of that era. It won a couple trophy's at car shows and was then parked in 1958. I restored it in 98 and it still has less than 2000 miles on it. I'll be posting it for sale. This was the only place I could find any other info on this engine. I have to figure out how to add pictures.
Old June 14th, 2019, 05:32 PM

Pics

I hope this works, a couple old pictures, enjoy!
http://www.angelfire.com/pa3/lyzcoinc/OldRod.html
Old June 14th, 2019, 05:35 PM

Wow, yes, please post pics. I assume this J-2R is still in the 34 Ford? Capturing that movie to a video would be priceless too, please consider this. I think you have to log a few posts to be allowed to post pictures.
Old June 14th, 2019, 06:18 PM

Thanks Johnny.
Old June 14th, 2019, 06:24 PM
Running On Empty

Nice pictures, great stuff.
Old June 14th, 2019, 07:16 PM

http://s586.photobucket.com/user/mer...tml?sort=3&o=0

Hopefully this works! You can see it running in the black 34 Ford with red wheels and whitewalls at 8:20.
Old June 14th, 2019, 07:18 PM
Running On Empty

I believe Eric provided you w/ this link on your other thread, but here it is again. You can post directly to this CO site. You can post a video but it must be smaller than 5MB. I noticed you tried to post to Photobucket but it didn't take.

How To Post Pictures/Images

Old June 14th, 2019, 07:27 PM
Running On Empty

I can get to the Photobucket URL you posted, but I can't see your .mp4 video.
Old June 14th, 2019, 07:38 PM

Darn, I’ll figure it out tomorrow.
Old June 14th, 2019, 09:49 PM

Update......I ran across a man who worked at Oldsmobile. The J-2R stuff was listed "for export" or "marine use". Oldsmobile had 200 pairs of the W-1 (dimpled) valve covers stamped out. At some point in time, the surplus (unsold) Oldsmobile valve covers were sold to "Isky" (Iskendarian) and sold through them for many years. Again, at some point in time "Isky" closed them out and sold the "surplus" to a private individual. A year ago there were less than seven pairs left.
I haven't nailed down the J-2R camshaft cam grinder, lift and duration yet, but I did hear some numbers..... .435" lift and about 265 or 285 degrees duration. The rocker arms were made by "Gotha".
Old June 15th, 2019, 05:28 AM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

Very cool info and that Ford Coupe is awesome!
Old June 15th, 2019, 05:33 AM
Running On Empty

The Photobucket URL is working this morning. Painfully slow, but working. Very cool!
Old June 15th, 2019, 04:10 PM

Ok, great! I know it’s very slow but that film is priceless. I think that’s Lancaster airport or Dupont airport.
Old June 15th, 2019, 04:21 PM

Pictures

Here’s current pics, we put the four barrell on for drive-ability but the tri power parts are all stored and will go with the car if it’s sold. Enjoy!

Old June 16th, 2019, 06:00 PM

All the original J2 parts in the R parts boxes
Old July 4th, 2019, 01:57 PM

I put the 34 Ford up for sale in Hemmings. I hope it goes to someone who appreciates that motor, maybe a museum piece? I’d love to see that!
Have a happy 4th of July!
Old July 18th, 2019, 06:06 PM

A lot of money back in those days!

How’s this for documentation! What a surprise to find the receipts for the motor.

Old April 12th, 2020, 10:09 PM

J2-R / W-1 Valve Covers

First time posting.

I've got a chrome set. Recently purchased a 1954 88 two door post.
The guy I got it from didn't ever mess with it or know much about it. Sat at his place for a couple years and he never bothered with it. But sent me some pictures of what was written on the windshield when he got it. On the windshield it read, "1957 371 J-2 engine swap" amongst other things.
Now about a week or so ago I was trying to actually ID this engine because, I want to rebuild it. It runs strong, but Im not one to trust something of that age, and random people's work. This process of identification went on for several days between groups on Facebook and various sites and forums. Many said it was a J2 that someone slapped a 4bbl intake on. One or two suggested the J2-R because of the valve covers but dismissed that after learning they were not adjustable rockers (but with the J2R I see various claims as well, some say adjustable, others say oversized). The end result was most agreeing it was actually just the 54 324 with the dimpled valve covers slapped on.
The block numbers, head casting numbers, and original green on the block, all pointed to that being the case. However not one person could say 100% it was a 324 and not something else. So that mystery is still in the back of my mind, although I pretty much assume at this point it is a 324.

All that said, I have the dimpled chrome valve covers. And if it's not the proper engine for them to be on, and there's a demand, why not sell them?
My only issue is, they are fairly rusty, possible pitting even. Not destroyed, but would need some restoration. So I have no clue what value to put on the things. I don't want to be absurd about it. Just would want to get what they are worth. Which I think we can all agree is fair. So what are is everyone's thoughts?

Old April 12th, 2020, 11:46 PM

Hi, welcome to the site. Please take that info and make your very own part for sale ad in the parts for sale section. You'll need to put a price on them. You can keep the info in this thread to ask value, but you should sell in the for sale section.

People will certainly tell you what they think they are worth, and that is good, but, at the "what someone thinks they're worth" price may mean you are sitting on them for quite some time because the market for these is going to be pretty small. You can always start a little high and lower the price over time if you want. I think they'd sell quick for 100 dollars, and maybe eventually sell at 250, but those are guesses.
Old April 13th, 2020, 12:32 AM

Originally Posted by Ben March
First time posting.
I've got a chrome set. Recently purchased a 1954 88 two door post.
The guy I got it from didn't ever mess with it or know much about it. Sat at his place for a couple years and he never bothered with it. But sent me some pictures of what was written on the windshield when he got it. On the windshield it read, "1957 371 J-2 engine swap" amongst other things.
Now about a week or so ago I was trying to actually ID this engine because, I want to rebuild it. It runs strong, but Im not one to trust something of that age, and random people's work. This process of identification went on for several days between groups on Facebook and various sites and forums. Many said it was a J2 that someone slapped a 4bbl intake on. One or two suggested the J2-R because of the valve covers but dismissed that after learning they were not adjustable rockers (but with the J2R I see various claims as well, some say adjustable, others say oversized). The end result was most agreeing it was actually just the 54 324 with the dimpled valve covers slapped on.
The block numbers, head casting numbers, and original green on the block, all pointed to that being the case. However not one person could say 100% it was a 324 and not something else. So that mystery is still in the back of my mind, although I pretty much assume at this point it is a 324.

All that said, I have the dimpled chrome valve covers. And if it's not the proper engine for them to be on, and there's a demand, why not sell them?
My only issue is, they are fairly rusty, possible pitting even. Not destroyed, but would need some restoration. So I have no clue what value to put on the things. I don't want to be absurd about it. Just would want to get what they are worth. Which I think we can all agree is fair. So what are is everyone's thoughts?
One more time........I lost my last reply when I tried to post it.
Those are infact the valve covers for the 1957-58 J-2 race engines that used solid lifter cams. The dimples are for clearance of the adjusting screw on adjustable rocker arms. Gotha (brand name) rocker arms come to mind.
They were not on the J-2's that rolled out of the factory. They were Oldsmobile parts that were on a "For Export" W1 parts list. This list was not generally available. People like Lee and Richard Petty and "knowledgeable people" were aware of "special parts" and that list, the general public was not. The first set I ever saw was in the early to mid 1960's and they had been chromed and they were beautiful.

The valve covers you have were chromed afterwards. The chrome is in poor condition and would need to be stripped before re-chroming or painting. While they aren't common, they do come up for sale at times. While they may not be seen for sale regularly, they are also not in high demand. I think most people use the regular valve covers for "originality" restorations. The spark plug wire stanchions shown are aftermarket, I believe.

Last edited by OLDSter Ralph; April 13th, 2020 at 12:41 AM.
Old April 27th, 2021, 05:20 PM

I know this is an older post but have a question on the J2R. I have a rebuilt 371 with solid lifters and manual shift crank. It has a 3 deuce but not factory, Edelbrock. My question, did the J2R engine have specific block numbers or are there any other specific features? Engine has been sitting for quite a while so in the next year, I'll take apart and put back together. Heads look newly rebuilt, pistons look new, and engine is clean. It will be going into an original 1957 88 2 door sedan that came from the factory with the j2, batwing aircleaner, and 3 speed manual transmission. Any information appreciated.
Old April 27th, 2021, 05:54 PM
Banned

Sad reality about these and plenty other 50's-60's hot rod stuff is people in the know are passing on. Sad but true. I know it might be a reach but I wonder if you reached to Petty Enterprises or Richard Petty if they might reply.

It's funny to see this post pop up. I just ran across some old negatives of a 58 J-2 car and a 50? Two door that I took back in probably 1991.

These cars were sitting on the side of this old lady's house. She had a wooden wheel Dodge in the garage that still had air in all four tires. Rumor was her husband was a gear head back in the day. He was a cop and got ambushed and killed. The plates on the 50 were 1973 and the 58 I want to say 1975. I am looking to get the negatives scanned and put into digital format so I can post them.
Old April 27th, 2021, 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by tbear
I know this is an older post but have a question on the J2R. I have a rebuilt 371 with solid lifters and manual shift crank. It has a 3 deuce but not factory, Edelbrock. My question, did the J2R engine have specific block numbers or are there any other specific features? Engine has been sitting for quite a while so in the next year, I'll take apart and put back together. Heads look newly rebuilt, pistons look new, and engine is clean. It will be going into an original 1957 88 2 door sedan that came from the factory with the j2, batwing aircleaner, and 3 speed manual transmission. Any information appreciated.
I believe Edelbrock made 3 X 2 manifolds for the 57-58 371. I don't know of any advantage to have the Edelbrock except its aluminum and its lighter.
Your first task is to identify the cam. Knowing this could help find out what to set the valve lash at.