General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

my car got stolen

Search this Thread

Old January 26th, 2019, 01:41 PM
Running On Empty

USER PROFILE SUGGESTION

The world many of us grew up in is not the same world today. Many of these thieves have become very sophisticated - they troll forums looking for opportunities (which includes Facebook [in particular] & other social media sites).

Be careful what you say and to whom you convey information. Sounds simple, yet - trolling thieves love garnering as much information as possible to make informed decisions regarding theft. If you're going to broadcast you'll be gone for two weeks, you're never home during the day, etc., etc. - think about who can read this information. By default - ANY visitor to this CO website can view your information/posts UNLESS you take [at the minimum] at least one very simple change to your Profile Privacy security setting.

From your Profile (top right-hand corner of the screen), click on your Profile Username then click to open your User Control Panel. On the far left of the screen, under Your Profile, click on Profile Privacy.
In the Profile Privacy click the drop-down menu next to each of the available relationships other users must meet to see the blocks i.e Social Profiles, Profile Picture, About Me, etc. At a minimum you should consider invoking at a minimum 'Registered Members' as the only visitors/users who can view your information. If it is set to 'Everyone', well, you guessed it - ANY visitor [that includes anyone who is NOT a registered member of CO] can view all messages and all information in all posts. Many websites DO NOT allow visitors to view any information contained within a forum UNLESS that person is a registered user of that forum. That's one reason you find many websites REQUIRE a person to register in order to use/view a website. IMO, it is one of the areas in which the Administrators of CO could significantly increase the security of this site. However, get acquainted with changing your Profile Privacy and the information which is shared and with whom. Cheers!

Prove it to yourself, Logout, then view the CO website as an ANONYMOUS end-user without ever having to log-in. Notice how much information is available to ANYONE.

Last edited by Vintage Chief; January 26th, 2019 at 01:44 PM.
Old January 28th, 2019, 06:11 AM
Jeff

Yikes. Thanks, Norm. I just went and edited all of the above you mentioned. I think you should send your post as a PM to the site admin's, because that is a change that they really need to implement.
Old January 28th, 2019, 06:24 AM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Weezer
Yikes. Thanks, Norm. I just went and edited all of the above you mentioned. I think you should send your post as a PM to the site admin's, because that is a change that they really need to implement.
Hi Weezer - Well, LLC dba Internet Brands owns a plethora of websites - I mean hundreds - here's a listing of just their automotive websites. They own many, many more types of websites in other areas. Home & Travel, Health, Legal, etc. Most are freebie websites, but they also have some highly customized (not free) websites. Getting 'involved' with back-end Administrator's takes a lot of time. The CO website has moderators - moderators are provided a 'panel' of things they can change (which are given to them by the CO website Administrators). Even the CO moderators would be hard-pressed to suggest changes because it does take time. Especially on a free website. It's often better to highlight (as I tried to do) some of the features CO users can invoke in their own security settings. Sometimes, it simply just is what it is.
Old January 28th, 2019, 07:24 AM
Old School Olds

Thanks Norm, good info.
Old January 28th, 2019, 07:27 AM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by tru-blue 442
Thanks Norm, good info.
Old January 28th, 2019, 07:39 AM

Great point, Norm, thanks!
Old January 29th, 2019, 05:50 PM

Thanks Norm, updated mine.
Old January 29th, 2019, 05:56 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by mzack66442
Great point, Norm, thanks!
Old January 29th, 2019, 05:57 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by classicmuscle.442
Thanks Norm, updated mine.
Old February 16th, 2019, 01:21 PM

Hello, regarding the cams, do you know if they could be used in a off site (as not on your property). Is there something on the market that would work by not having any wifi connection, thanks Jerry.
Old February 16th, 2019, 03:05 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by jerry63
Hello, regarding the cams, do you know if they could be used in a off site (as not on your property). Is there something on the market that would work by not having any wifi connection, thanks Jerry.
Many/Most video cams work w/o WiFi. You simply hook up cam hardwired to a device (laptop, PC, etc) with enough HDD space to accommodate the required amount of storage based upon your settings. Unless you're referring to satellite and have extraordinarily deep pockets.
Old February 17th, 2019, 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by jerry63
There are cellular cams. They're more expensive than the ubiquitous WiFi cams and you'll need a cell plan for it.
And, depending on how remote your installation is, you'll need a power source.
Old November 4th, 2022, 12:35 PM

After a little over 4 yrs. my car is finally back together and road ready. No more dragstrip, it's retired to street duty.

Old November 4th, 2022, 12:39 PM

Very nice and congratulations.
Old November 4th, 2022, 12:47 PM

A beauty for sure..
Old November 4th, 2022, 01:14 PM
Banned

X2. Beautiful car. I will read back thru the thread. Did they/you ever get any leads on who or where parts ended up?

I hate thieves! 🤬

Ok. I just read thru the thread. Bastards. Sounds like these guys knew the cars to hit. Knew where they were. Those specialized parts have got to be out there somewhere. I think Koda said it. You think you know someone. People can really suck. Once you get something stolen from you broken into etc you feel so violated. Sons of B🤬🤬🤬🤬

Well your car looks beautiful. Sorry for all the bs you had to endure from some group of scum.

Last edited by no1oldsfan; November 4th, 2022 at 01:23 PM.
Old November 4th, 2022, 01:27 PM
Banned

On another note. Denver has become a major crime capital over the last five years or so. Number one or two in car thefts. I am generations deep here. This city sucks more and more as time goes on. Unreal home prices. Unreal amounts of homeless camps. Number two in the nation in fentanyl deaths. Terrible to see what Denver has become. Yet clueless fools keep overpaying and flowing in here.
Old November 4th, 2022, 02:04 PM
Administrator

It looks so unassuming from the outside. I've always loved a bench seat and a floor shifter.
Old November 4th, 2022, 02:14 PM

Just read this entire thread for the first time. First, sorry what you had to go through with your car getting stolen. I am glad you got it back and it looks absolutely beautiful again!

I just saw a story on the news this morning about car thefts in the city of St Louis. They said 20 cars a day on average are stolen, sickening. Many are used in crimes and this week someone drove a stolen Suburban through a busy intersection at 100+ mph and hit 5 cars, killing 3 people.

Last edited by 61Bat; November 4th, 2022 at 02:17 PM.
Old November 5th, 2022, 07:09 AM

The dealer invoice sheet I have shows my car was ordered with this style of hub cap. It really gives it that sleeper look. I may put SS1 wheels with Firestone red stripes on it when the wheels become available. The first time I saw my car back in '71 it had 14" chevy rallies on it. 2 of those are on it now under the hub caps.
Old November 5th, 2022, 07:31 AM

Beautiful car.