General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

my car got stolen

Search this Thread

Old July 28th, 2018, 05:55 AM

my car got stolen

My 67 w30 got stolen last night. The dumb asses scraped the right side getting it out of the garage. Please spread the word. I live near Toledo, Oh
Old July 28th, 2018, 07:05 AM

When you get a chance can you post a picture.
Wayne
Medina, Ohio
Old July 28th, 2018, 09:43 AM

Been a lot of classics stolen in Ohio recently. I believe 2 were taken from hotels during the Good Guys show.
Old July 28th, 2018, 10:02 AM

Wow, that’s a huge fear of mine and I figured it was pretty safe in my garage. Guess not. Hope they are caught.
Old July 28th, 2018, 11:02 AM

Please post a pic when you get a chance,I'll keep my eyes open in the New England area
Old July 28th, 2018, 11:20 AM

This is my car
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
442MILAN 001.jpg (901.4 KB, 243 views)
442MILAN 002.jpg (833.3 KB, 211 views)
442MILAN 003.jpg (849.2 KB, 216 views)
Old July 28th, 2018, 11:25 AM

Wow, sorry to hear that. Even though my car is in a locked garage, I use the engine kill so it can't be driven - a thief would have to drag it out.
Old July 28th, 2018, 11:28 AM

Start looking at who knew you had it.
Old July 28th, 2018, 11:47 AM

I would get pics of the car to local and state police. A pic on the report would make even the young law enforcement aware of what to look for. The pic will stick in their minds longer. One question...........do they still lynch people in Ohio ? Good luck finding thecar and the culprits.

Old July 28th, 2018, 12:52 PM

Fun71 is right, i have 2 classics and a $10 kill switch is worth the investment. if it has to be pushed or towed it can be a lot harder. good luck how you find it
Old July 28th, 2018, 01:09 PM

Man, I feel your pain!! Hope you get it back unscathed. Unfortunately, 66's & 67's are some of the easiest cars to hotwire. A hidden kill switch is highly advised. Agreed on 'Who Knew You Had It'???
Old July 28th, 2018, 03:05 PM

So I know the car is valuable in parts but what a shame it would be to strip parts to make $. Will someone try to switch V.I.N. or ship it somewhere out of country where it can't be traced? What exactly does someone do with a 51 yr old car? Its not a rembrandt for some billionaire private collection. WTF
Was it insured for theft?
Old July 28th, 2018, 03:16 PM

They pushed the car out and onto or into a hauler. Here's a list of parts that could be harvested. 461 Olds with Eddy heads, Portasonic intake, Holley 850 set up by KB Carbs, MSD 6al2, MSD billet dizzy, Hardin Marine valve covers, Hooker 1 3/4 Jet Hot sterling coated headers, Trans Specialties 10' ultra high stall, Rossler full comp Turbo 350, Chevy 12 bolt with 4.10 spool and c clip eliminators, Autometer play back tach, B&M Prostick. Weld Prostar wheels 1990 build date with Hoosier rubber.

Last edited by aqua67w30; July 28th, 2018 at 04:51 PM.
Old July 28th, 2018, 04:38 PM

Oh, Man...

Man, that just plain SUX. I'm totally bummed for you. I hope you get it back, whole, and in good shape. Then, I hope the thieves suffer grave misfortune.

I know the horse is already out of the barn, so to speak, but you (and others!) may want to look into buying some inexpensive WI-fi "PTZ" webcams and set them up to record when motion is sensed. They are less than $100 each, online, and there are a number of brands. I have D-Link. You can set them up to email you videos or stills when motion is detected, and/or to store the video on a local PC/server, along with viewing them remotely via your smartphone, tablet, PC, etc.. They really are pretty simple to set up. I've got one on my driveway facing the street, two in my garage at opposite sides, and a number throughout the house facing both indoors and out of windows with good street and yard views.

Good Luck!
Old July 28th, 2018, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by aqua67w30
They pushed the car out and onto or into a hauler. Here's a list of parts that could be harvested. 461 Olds with Eddy heads, Portasonic intake, Holley 850 set up by KB Carbs, MSD 6al2, MSD billet dizzy, Hardin Marine valve covers, Hooker 1 3/4 Jet Hot sterling coated headers, Trans Specialties 10' ultra high stall, Rossler full comp Turbo 350, Chevy 12 bolt with 4.10 spool and c clip eliminators, Autometer play back tach, B&M Prostick.
With those parts it seems someone knew you had them on that car and stole the car for those things and not for its vintage. I would definitely lean towards thinking it was more of an inside job and that someone knew the car, parts and where it was.
Ill keep my eyes and ears open for what its worth.

Old July 28th, 2018, 06:46 PM

If you do car shows like so many of us do your information is mostly printed on card on your windshield at the show. If not there that info is on your registration sheet for most anyone to see. Pretty hard to hide yourself with all that Info a viable.

I hope you have yourself well insured ..... Tedd
Old July 28th, 2018, 06:56 PM

Nothing worse than a scumbag who invades your home(garage) and steals your things. I hope you get it back.
Old July 28th, 2018, 07:09 PM

how did they get in the garage?
Old July 28th, 2018, 07:11 PM

wow, sorry to hear.
Old July 28th, 2018, 07:34 PM

Sorry to hear you have a thief in your area, after reading this I went out and blocked my sons '72 in the driveway that I was fixing a couple things on but didn't have room in barn. Like a few have stated kill switches are good idea, I also club the wheel, disconnect the battery and put a padlock on the garage door track. If you can slow the thief down, they might screw up and make some noise. Big dog, big gun, first shot hopefully will be the last sound they hear. Hope you find your car.
Old July 28th, 2018, 09:33 PM

Good Luck my friend getting your car back. My dream is to catch one of these scumbags in action and end his life of degradations once and for all.
Old July 28th, 2018, 11:43 PM

I think your post sends a shiver through all off us car enthusiasts. That thieves are so brazen to steal right from your garage! I truly hope your car is found intact and the criminals are apprehended. This incident will surely alert other members to take extra precautions with their cars. Best of luck, thanks for posting.
Old July 28th, 2018, 11:54 PM

Contact all authorities involved with shipping over seas.

Countless cars end up on cargo ships in shipping containers. A less than moral guy at work said a **** car in America is worth 5000.00 on Irac. Just cover all the bases as if it was your daughter and who knows, you may bust a big export ring or a shitbag down the street. Pardon my French.
Old July 29th, 2018, 12:04 AM

Joy riders dump the car, every intersection these days has a camera. If you need a lawyer get one to view the footage and see where these low life no house walking the dog losers went. In today's world I can't believe your one of a kind classic can't be tracked on intersection cameras.
Old July 29th, 2018, 02:56 AM

A friend has a 70 Chevelle. He went a bought a cell phone for emergency's only, cost like a few bucks a year, has it wire tied behind his dash, and wired into lighter, so it will stay charged all the time. If his car get's stolen, phone can be pinged and find location, even if car battery is disconnected or removed.

Last edited by Rustbucket2; July 29th, 2018 at 03:02 AM.
Old July 29th, 2018, 03:19 AM

That really sucks!!! Looks like a beautiful car!! I too, have a kill switch on mine.
Old July 29th, 2018, 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by Rustbucket2
A friend has a 70 Chevelle. He went a bought a cell phone for emergency's only, cost like a few bucks a year, has it wire tied behind his dash, and wired into lighter, so it will stay charged all the time. If his car get's stolen, phone can be pinged and find location, even if car battery is disconnected or removed.

That is a very good idea.

I hope the savages that stole your car are found and suffer grave consequences. I, too, believe that it could be someone who knows you, even just a little. I had a car stolen from me years ago, never to be seen again. It's a lousy, helpless feeling, and I feel for you. Evil exists, and unfortunately, people will choose to do it.
Old July 29th, 2018, 08:21 AM
Administrator

I made this a sticky in the hopes more people see the thread.
Old July 29th, 2018, 12:14 PM

I understand this. We lost a 1965 Olds Cutlass in 1968 stolen from the Jaffa Mosque parking lot in Johnstown, PA. PA lic. #R00922. Never got it back. In 28 March 2012 I lost the car I went to the prom in, in 70 due to a fire; not caused by the car. A 70 Olds 442 mint restored w/35,000 original miles. Now I have a another 65 Cutlass like the one stolen except it's been "442ized" ie big motor, etc. These two losses, for me, are two family members gone. Someone tries to take the one I have now and they get caught? GLOCK
Old July 29th, 2018, 03:27 PM
btw
Smokin' BBQ Member

I'll be on the lookout for this car in the Carolinas and at all auctions I attend between now and EOY. Hope you get it back whole.
Old July 29th, 2018, 04:34 PM

I'll post crime scene details and pics when I have some time. I'm overwhelmed by everybody's support both locally and online. Thanks, Doug
Old July 29th, 2018, 06:50 PM

Since you are under a lot of stress over this, and I've "been there done that" I thought I'd give you some things to think about.

Make sure the police report is accurate in regards to the cars description, numbers, etc. Contact the local radio station/TV station and see if they will help. After all, it IS your baby.
Was there anything personal in the car like credit cards, bank checks, check books? When our 65 was stolen the thieves used my Mom's credit card at a gas station on Frankstown Road near Pittsburgh to get $20 in cash. The license plate on the credit slip was off a stolen car out Farrel, PA. This indicated a stolen car ring was operating in the area. (Out of Wheeling, W.VA.)

If you have any friends who work in the county jail or the state prison contact them. This can be a wealth of info esp. if you know a C/O or housing officer. They have their snitches and deals can be worked for info ie. like "atta boys" in the inmates jacket. Get any info for investigators at the PD, etc.
Consider offering a reward via TV, Radio, Facebook for info leading to the recovery of the car. (Although never give out too much info.)
Call the FBI. That car will be or is being transported across state lines and it was probably ordered. The drug cartels have lots of money and the border is pores as hell.

Try to remember if anyone was overly curious at a car show or overly friendly. They knew where you lived. Maybe even followed you home.
Were any friends or relatives questioned about the car, like "do you know where he lives?" Also, were any of your children asked about the car?
What about people who worked on the car?
And your neighbors? What about their behavior? Has anything changed that may indicate something? Like they used to speak with you and now they don't. If you have neighbors or "friends" or your friends have contacts with persons involved in drugs info might be gained. They will do anything for money.
The reason I'm telling you this is that as far as the police are concerned they don't have the time or resources to look for your car. They know you have insurance and that you will be compensated therefore they are not going to much out of their way to find your car. This is the way our family was treated when the Cutlass was stolen. We got a call five years after it was stolen from the PA State Police and they asked us if we ever got it back! My Dad blew is top on that one. The insurance company gave him a rough time on the claim and then the IRS gave him more problems with the loss. Anyway good luck. Anything's better that what I experienced.
Old July 29th, 2018, 06:57 PM

I shared this with the W-31 group on Facebook.
Old July 30th, 2018, 10:25 AM
Jeff

Originally Posted by Rustbucket2
Holy... that there, is a brilliant alternative to Lojack.
Old July 30th, 2018, 12:28 PM
btw
Smokin' BBQ Member

Shared to OCA in various media. Any updates Doug?
Old July 30th, 2018, 12:54 PM

Nice looking ride. Sorry to hear about it. I just insured mine with the standard 'kept in locked garage' clause. If they want it badly enough I guess...Good luck in getting her back.
Old July 31st, 2018, 10:24 AM

That is horrible, sorry to hear about this. I see the kill switch items and the cell phone thing, does anyone just use lowjack? It was something I was considering. My car is worth very little compared to some of the cars I see on here but it isnt the money, it is my blood, sweat and tears I want to hold onto more than anything. Again sorry to see an awesome car go missing, hope they get what is coming to them.
Old August 1st, 2018, 01:21 AM

I brought it home this morning at 3:00 A.M. It was found stripped laying in a vacant lot in Toledo. It was stripped of everything performance including entire drive train. It got a few scratches, dash damage and the trunk deck is ruined. We pulled up to see it sitting on blocks in the pouring rain. Thanks to everyone for your support and for putting it out on social media. Doug
Old August 1st, 2018, 02:40 AM

Glad you got her back! The entire drive train with all of the upgrades was stripped? I’m really leaning towards you knowing who may have done this or set it up, that’s too much of a coincidence in my opinion. When you redo it, the lowjack sounds like a great idea. I’m looking into one myself. Good luck!
Old August 1st, 2018, 04:35 AM

Well, thats to bad. Sure doesn't seem like amatures. Something will show up someday. Hopefully your insurance company will be cooperative.
Wayne

Quick Reply: my car got stolen