General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Modposters.com

Search this Thread

Old December 28th, 2023, 08:16 AM

Modposters.com

Anyone work with this company before? For Christmas I received from my three wonderful children (who are now all in their 30s) gift certificates from this place, so I went ahead and ordered three posters, one for each of my three cars. I ordered the "foam poster board" style, 18 x 24 size.

https://modposters.com/index.php

The way it works is that you order the poster size and details you want, and you pay for it. Then you upload photos and any text you want on the poster, and they do the designing. So you don't get to see what you're going to get until after you pay, but they have many examples so you can see kind of what you're going to get. They do allow you to review, of course, what they come up with and proofread it. At first I wasn't sure about paying first, but then I realized that A) I can't design worth a darn for something like this, so anything they come up with is likely to be better than anything I could do, B) I can understand wanting some money upfront because they're going to be putting work into making your poster, and C) everything I've tried to make on my own over the years has never been satisfactory. Also, my kids had already paid them by buying the gift certificates, so the money was already spent. I had nothing to lose.

For each car, I sent them five or six photos plus the copy, and they did the rest. In the case of the white '77, they nicely photo-shopped out the rather industrial background and substituted generic, fall-color trees. Looks very good, I think.

Here are the final products. Each one, with tax and all, is just under $100. I found them very fast and easy to work with. I submitted my material in the morning, and I had the proofs to review later that same day. One required a correction. They had the corrected version back to me within 15 minutes of my sending it to them.

I do not have the posters themselves yet as the images are sent to the printer, then reviewed once again by the modposters people, and then sent to me. But I have confidence that they will look fine. Plus, they do give you the image file itself in both png and jpg format, high resolution, and you can do anything you want with that, such as print it out as a photo, use it as wallpaper, or whatever.

I think they look great.

Last edited by jaunty75; December 28th, 2023 at 08:18 AM.
Old December 28th, 2023, 08:21 AM

Hopefully, you have a good experience. I got scammed by an outfit that literally printed the picture with standard font on 8.5x11 office paper when I tried to get a framed pic of the wife's dog. I won't be doing that again.
Old December 28th, 2023, 10:24 AM

I believe OfficeMax or OfficeDepot (whatever they call it now) had that service available. I was looking to have a "story board" made for my Toronado, for car shows. The cost was roughly about $100.
If Jaunty gets what he showed in a poster, it my might be a fair price.
Old December 28th, 2023, 10:33 AM

I'll post photos of the actual posters when I get them.
Old December 28th, 2023, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by jaunty75
I'll post photos of the actual posters when I get them.
Thank you.
Old December 28th, 2023, 12:09 PM

Looks like a neat option for people who don't have digital graphics skills, and a lot of different products offered on their site. Anyone able to create high resolution graphic layups themselves may find pricing better at a local print shop. The overall quality of the product will depend on the quality of photos selected...yours look great.

Great gift idea from the family!
Old December 29th, 2023, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by VI Cutty
Anyone able to create high resolution graphic layups themselves may find pricing better at a local print shop.
But does the local print shop specialize in automotive posters? One of the advantages of modposters is that they do specialize in this, and they've got an idea of what works with cars and what might not. That's what I like about it. Give them some photos and some copy and let THEM design the poster. For example, in the posters above, I did not provide them with the Oldsmobile rocket logos nor the Toronado and Oldsmobile scripts. They went out and found those, and they're correct for the model years.

So you're not paying only for the poster itself, but for their expertise. In other words, the car posters are designed by car people. That's worth a few extra dollars, I think.

Old December 29th, 2023, 10:12 AM
Banned

They look cool for sure. 100 dollars for an 18x24 poster?? Did I read that right?

Last edited by no1oldsfan; December 29th, 2023 at 10:15 AM.
Old December 29th, 2023, 10:17 AM

Yes. What I bought is $89 plus tax or whatever. Came out to just under $100. The two larger sizes are a bit more.
Old December 29th, 2023, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by jaunty75
But does the local print shop specialize in automotive posters? One of the advantages of modposters is that they do specialize in this, and they've got an idea of what works with cars and what might not. That's what I like about it. Give them some photos and some copy and let THEM design the poster. For example, in the posters above, I did not provide them with the Oldsmobile rocket logos nor the Toronado and Oldsmobile scripts. They went out and found those, and they're correct for the model years.

So you're not paying only for the poster itself, but for their expertise. In other words, the car posters are designed by car people. That's worth a few extra dollars, I think.
You're not wrong, and they've done a bang up job. I think it's a great service for them to be offering and the price doesn't seem bad either...the equipment needed to produce the finished products isn't cheap nor is the skill to collate all the components into a good looking graphic. My comment was more geared towards someone who has the ability to generate a print ready graphic themselves, which isn't everyone. Just like I wouldn't consider building my own engine :-D

Those will look great on your walls for years to come.
Old December 29th, 2023, 01:46 PM

Pretty cool. Did you provided them with all the information that's on the posters except for the rockets and script then?
Old December 30th, 2023, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by Olds64
Pretty cool. Did you provided them with all the information that's on the posters except for the rockets and script then?
Yes, the photos and the wording. But they picked one of the photos, and they figured out placement of everything.
Old January 1st, 2024, 08:05 PM

Man I see a new career for me.
Old January 2nd, 2024, 07:40 PM

That looks like a great idea, and was a great gift from your kids.
Old January 3rd, 2024, 01:56 PM

Received the final products today. Very pleased. They're sturdy foamboard about 3/8" thick, the cheapest option they had. I plan to put them in some kind of protective frames to keep the edges from getting damaged as I transport them to and from the zillions of car shows I plan to take them to.

Old January 3rd, 2024, 02:48 PM

Very nice. Thank you for the heads up and follow up.
Old January 4th, 2024, 11:42 AM

I took the posters to Hobby Lobby today to have them framed. The frames will be thin metal in as close to Oldsmobile red they had. Should have them in about 2 weeks.
Old January 17th, 2024, 01:00 PM

Got the posters back from Hobby Lobby today. Here's the final result. Each is 18 x 24. Almost too nice to take to a car show. I'm thinking of sending them to the Louvre.