General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Might have messed upy hinges...

Search this Thread

Old November 1st, 2017, 04:17 PM

Might have messed up my hinges...

I am about to rebuild the hinges for my 71 Cutlass... I took them apart to sand blast and paint them. When I went to order the rebuild kits, they all come with two pins and the larger pin with the roller... But on the top hinge, there is another pin... I think it is to keep the door from opening too far...
Anyway, I removed those pins as well.

Are those pins the same as the others or is it something different? Did I mess up and need to buy new hinges?

Thanks!
Bill

Last edited by btrbill; November 1st, 2017 at 04:55 PM.
Old November 1st, 2017, 07:51 PM

Bill - There are TWO PINS on each upper door hinge. On is an "outer" pin with the other being the "inner" pin.

>The OUTER pin sits in two bushings that are pressed into the hinge piece...you can easily replace those bushings and install a new pin if it's needed.

>The UPPER pin doesn't have any bushed holes in the hinge piece...there are just a couple bare holes it slips into. THIS is the door limiter pin (at least as far as the upper hinge is concerned) and this pin has a much taller/larger OD on the upper end. You should be able to reinstall it and the holes in the hinge piece shouldn't be wallowed out since this pin never rotates in the hinge piece.

You should be able to find push-on circular retainers that can be pushed on over the lower part of either or both pins to keep them from moving upwards.
Old November 2nd, 2017, 05:40 AM

[QUOTE=70Post;1053474]

>The UPPER pin ... You should be able to reinstall it and the holes in the hinge piece shouldn't be wallowed out since this pin never rotates in the hinge piece.
QUOTE]

Thanks for the info. Unfortunately, I cannot reuse any of the pins, including the Upper pin... I have not been able to find any new ones, either.

If anyone has any UPPER pins they would like to part with, please let me know!

Bill