General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Marvels Mystery oil, did i do a bad thing?

Search this Thread

Old January 4th, 2014, 09:29 AM

Marvels Mystery oil, did i do a bad thing?

A little ironic this one is for I just tried this stuff on my 2 old vehicles one runs better from what I can tell and the other seems dead in the water.

I added a little over 6 oz to 15 gal of 92 octane fuel in my 63 super 88, then added a red bottle 104+ booster, and it seems to run better. I think it starts much better in the cold and fast idles/kicks down nicely, the car didnt smoke at all before, and its not now either just the typical cold weather steam which goes away almost entirely. I think it went nicely with the olds.

My 72 C20 chevy truck is a different story entirely. i originally got the marvels oil for this truck to see if it would help it out some for its a little rough, has a strange squeal i cant seem to pinpoint def not pulleys or belts. i didn't think marvels would fix it but figured why not try it. the truck has a 350 wit 4bbl Rochester. i added 4 oz to the regular 89 oct fuel, little under half tank most likely 7 gallons (bottle says 4 oz for every 10 but i figured wasn't that bad) and poured the rest into the oil.

the truck ran fine, little quieter even, and didn't smoke at all went for a 20 minute ride went fine. next day wont start at all, when i add starting fluid it seems to wanna but it wont, tried diluting the oil with 10 gallons of premium fuel, nothing. fully charged the batt,nothing, tried puttins a small splash of fresh premium into the carb with throttle open, still wont start. Pops is pissed cuz A. its his truck and B.before this it started great, if you looked at the key it started

My questions are A. is it a bad idea to add it to my olds, even tho it starts and runs fine maybe even sounds better? its a 394 and i kno it wants that top end lubrication from lead that aint in the gas today but is marvels a bad choice then? and B. do i have to drain out the tank in my 72 even tho its got like 15 gal in it now, maybe even pull the plugs and change the inline filter? Please any input by now would help thanks guys.
Old January 4th, 2014, 09:39 AM
Administrator

If it did not start with the starting fluid, I'm going to guess the issue is spark related. The marvel oil is meant to be added to the fuel, although if there is too much it may not atomize correctly and foul the plugs. The starting fluid is basically ether and very flammable.
Old January 4th, 2014, 09:43 AM
Old School Olds

I would also ask as when was the last
time the points were changed.
Old January 4th, 2014, 09:45 AM

well it actually is hard to tell it fires like almost entirely, seems like it turns over, bogs a bit then quits. it could always be spark related but doubtful although i also doubt its because of the mystery oil in the fuel but pops disagrees and says if any oil at all 4 oz on 10 gal is still fat too much. my main question is A. is it good for my olds high compression 394, or is it even good stuff at all and B. if it is good stuff how would u recommend using it?
Old January 4th, 2014, 09:46 AM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

marvels isn't your problem. You'd really have to over do it to over come the gas. Do some basic trouble shooting and for god sake put the starting fluid in the trash unless you like shattering pistons. Do you see fuel shooting out of the primary shooters in the carb when you actuate the throttle? If no then its fuel related...pump, lines, filter, float, needle & seat, float bowl etc...Pull a plug or two and read them. Google on how to read plugs if you dont know how. Get a spark tester and verify you have spark. Wet plugs generally indicate lack of ignition. But it fired on the piston shattering spray (start fluid)so Id say you have spark. Check it anyway it could be a week spark. If you have spark and fuel it should run unless the timing is way off?. Marvels is OK for the Olds too mixed correctly.

Last edited by droldsmorland; January 4th, 2014 at 09:48 AM.
Old January 4th, 2014, 09:49 AM

well i know what plugs should look like, a thorough inspection of spark is in order but it definitely gets gas when its turning, and the time/dwell is great and the plugs/points have such little mileage on them. however i guess my only question now is do you guys like/ use it or is it a waste of time?

Last edited by 63super88; January 4th, 2014 at 09:53 AM.
Old January 4th, 2014, 09:52 AM
Administrator

Its good stuff, I've been using it for 40 years in both fuel and oil.
Old January 4th, 2014, 09:56 AM

A bit of oil should not harm any engine. Dirty the spark plugs up maybe.

I will suggest that rather than randomly draining a fuel tank and/or replacing a fuel filter, you systematically diagnose why it won't start. Ck the basics
Does it have good strong spark to clean plugs with the proper gap? Cap and rotor clean and pretty? Are the points clean and gapped properly and the dwell at 30 degrees? You know, the basics.

Presumably it has compression, not likely that failed.

THEN see if you have gas in the carb, does it squirt in when you open the carb because the accelerator pump is working... If not THEN examine the filter, lines, pump, the fuel delivery components.

Spark is by far the most likely failure.
Old January 4th, 2014, 10:26 AM

If the key was left on and the points fused together could that be his issue?
Old January 4th, 2014, 11:02 AM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

Marvels is good stuff mixed to the proper ratio. If its that cold out maybe you have some gas line freezing issues? Or is it cold enough that your antifreeze failed and there catastrophic block failure? Stick your eyeballs over the carb and check for strong squirts coming from the primaries. Is the choke working? Did you read the plugs yet?
Old January 6th, 2014, 09:33 AM

welp I got the chevy started today. its much warmer than the past two days, it was actually brutally cold almost 5 below, so freezing of sorts was possible I guess. that on top of lots of moisture under the hood from melted snow was a possible factor. I wd40'd everything under there that looked damp, dist cap, coil, wire ends, and it started up. I would say right up, but it started, stalled once or twice, but its up now and I kicked the idle up a halfa turn just to keep it up. its pretty good now.

the marvels didn't really help the squealing sounds in the chevys 350(not that I expected it to), but id say it idles smoother and less valve ticking. id also definitely say the olds starts a little better, used to stall and would be tough like the choke wasn't engaging. starts right up now, let it run fast for a minute or 2, and idles pretty good after I kick it down. must've gave the carb some much needed internal lube. I guess ill keep adding 4oz with every 15 gal fill up in the olds. maybe not on the chevy tho, it runs fine on regular gas unlike the olds, and nothings gonna stop it from squealing at this point not worth the extra money on that truck. thanks for all the replies guys, always helpful to get a few different opinions I always say right! like the guy who said leaving the key on fries the points together, I knew that could happen but I didn't think to check under the cap until you said check the points, although I was jus really more worried of moisture, it was dry under there and the points are fine, dwell reads 30.

Last edited by 63super88; January 6th, 2014 at 09:39 AM.
Old January 6th, 2014, 07:13 PM

My 63 394 would stick a lifter at the drop of a hat, I used a upper valve lubricant much like Marvel Misery oil in it for years and had no problems.This engine would start to stick a lifter if you ran it longer than 1800 miles between oil changes. It would just not tolerate any dirty oil....Tedd
Old January 7th, 2014, 05:36 AM

Originally Posted by 63super88
A little ironic this one is for I just tried this stuff on my 2 old vehicles one runs better from what I can tell and the other seems dead in the water.

I added a little over 6 oz to 15 gal of 92 octane fuel in my 63 super 88, then added a red bottle 104+ booster, and it seems to run better. I think it starts much better in the cold and fast idles/kicks down nicely, the car didnt smoke at all before, and its not now either just the typical cold weather steam which goes away almost entirely. I think it went nicely with the olds.

My 72 C20 chevy truck is a different story entirely. i originally got the marvels oil for this truck to see if it would help it out some for its a little rough, has a strange squeal i cant seem to pinpoint def not pulleys or belts. i didn't think marvels would fix it but figured why not try it. the truck has a 350 wit 4bbl Rochester. i added 4 oz to the regular 89 oct fuel, little under half tank most likely 7 gallons (bottle says 4 oz for every 10 but i figured wasn't that bad) and poured the rest into the oil.

the truck ran fine, little quieter even, and didn't smoke at all went for a 20 minute ride went fine. next day wont start at all, when i add starting fluid it seems to wanna but it wont, tried diluting the oil with 10 gallons of premium fuel, nothing. fully charged the batt,nothing, tried puttins a small splash of fresh premium into the carb with throttle open, still wont start. Pops is pissed cuz A. its his truck and B.before this it started great, if you looked at the key it started

My questions are A. is it a bad idea to add it to my olds, even tho it starts and runs fine maybe even sounds better? its a 394 and i kno it wants that top end lubrication from lead that aint in the gas today but is marvels a bad choice then? and B. do i have to drain out the tank in my 72 even tho its got like 15 gal in it now, maybe even pull the plugs and change the inline filter? Please any input by now would help thanks guys.

I use Marvel in my aircraft engines putting it in the fuel, it helps with top end lube (Valve Train) Their large air cooled type engines, but the stuff works. !
Old January 7th, 2014, 06:40 AM

Hope you are feeling more confident that the marvel has not caused the issues you are having. I have a small winter project going on now: I am rebuilding a 40 year old ride on mower. I last ran the engine three years ago...I knew it would be awhile before I ran the engine again so I put double the amount of marvel oil in fuel and crankcase. I added stable. I did not drain the old fuel. With a new battery and a few cranks the 15hp engine started. Granted the fuel wasn't the best!! I have since replaced plugs etc and the engine is running great. Not scientific by any means but the oil did not sludge up in the fuel tank and the marvel had not seperated from the engine oil..... when drained before starting engine the marvel was clearly mixed with the engine oil.
Old January 10th, 2014, 06:38 AM

When it gets cold you can flood the plugs pretty easily..probably just flooded..I would give it a tune up..even tho it is running.
Old January 10th, 2014, 06:58 AM

Marvels' Mystery Oil is good stuff, been using it for 60 years on all my vehicles; sort of like an insurance policy.................
Old January 12th, 2014, 05:15 PM

welp i think the olds definitely likes the stuff, so im gonna use it maybe every other fill up, pour some in the oil after i get another bottle, even tho the olds didn't have any real mechanical problems (except maybe some pinging type action on really heavy acceleration but that aint related here) it definitely starts up and warms up better and runs the smoothest it has since i got it. i haven't gotten around to tune up the chevy truck. hopefully tomorrow. ill probably get another bottle and start a regimen on the car and maybe even try it sparingly on my carbureted atvs cuz they get pretty darn stubborn as im sure you all know.
Old January 12th, 2014, 07:31 PM
Administrator

It's not something that needs to be added all the time. Just periodically to keep things loosened up.