General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

looking for Maryland painters

Search this Thread

Old July 29th, 2013, 06:38 AM

looking for Maryland painters

This is an info request to any Maryland Olds guys out there.

I live in southern Maryland and am looking for a reputable shop that does very minor bodywork and paint on classic cars. When I have gone to some of the body shops in my area, as soon as the words " '71 Olds" are out of my mouth, they all say the same thing, "We don't work on old cars." When I ask who does, they either shrug, or give me names for guys that are either out of state or several hours away.

I guess if it's not a quick bolt on panel or some insurance work, they don't want to touch it.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old July 30th, 2013, 02:33 PM

What is the outcome you are seeking? Do you want the car to have a show finish on it or something nice for driving purposes? Are you able to do any prep work yourself such as removing trim, bumpers etc?

Brian
Old July 30th, 2013, 02:53 PM

I have never intended this to be a show car. This is my summer weekend driver and toy that I enjoy tinkering with. I'm not looking for 10 coats of laquer and clear coat and then wind up afraid to drive it anywhere for fear of flying stones. I do plan on storing it during the winter though.

She looks great from 10 feet way, but up close you can see the chips and scratches and there is some rust in one of the rear quarters. In addition to that the previous owner's paint job left alot of dust in it. I have buffed out much of it, but it's still there.

I can remove the bumpers and trim to help with the costs. I noticed that you live in Maryland do you know of anyone in the southern part of the state that I can contact?
Old July 30th, 2013, 04:19 PM

Given your expectations, which are perfectly reasonable, there are shops out there who will be able to paint the car and do the body work you need. I would take a little time and educate yourself on today's paints so you are able to talk the same language as the shops. Lacquer is a thing of the past and the most common type of finish a shop would do would be either a single stage urethane which is just color and no clear or a base coat/clear coat finish. Depending on how much paint is on the car, it may need to be stripped, especially if it has been repainted a few times over the years. I don't know of any shops down your way but my suggestion to you would be for you to start attending a few local car shows and talk to the guys with cars that look nice and ask who did their paint work. After speaking to a few people, you may find a common name or two of a shop or person you can contact. One more thing, paint work is expensive and you get what you pay for. To get a quality paint job with some body work, I would think you will be looking at prices from $5000 and up.

Brian
Old July 30th, 2013, 04:50 PM

Thanks for the info.
Old July 31st, 2013, 06:14 AM
71 cutlass convertible

I know of one but he is over on the Eastern Shore. If you want info I can get for you. I have seen his work and it is very good. He is in Easton, MD.

Larry

Last edited by lshlsh2; July 31st, 2013 at 06:14 AM. Reason: added info