General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Looking to clone the 1970 hurst olds

Search this Thread

Old March 4th, 2023, 02:32 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Koda
Resurrection!

The car has been purchased and will be at the H/OCA Nationals in Gettysburg this summer.

The owner has sent me materials for an article in the next Thunder & Lightning.
Koda is there somewhere I can read about it currently?

It would be cool to see it brought back. Hurst seemed to toy with gold and black more than a few times. With Pontiac cars as well.

Old March 4th, 2023, 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by no1oldsfan
Koda is there somewhere I can read about it currently?

It would be cool to see it brought back. Hurst seemed to toy with gold and black more than a few times. With Pontiac cars as well.

Other than the printout next to me, not yet.

It's basically the back story and how he finally was able to buy it. I don't think any work has been done on it yet. I agree, it will take a lot of hours to farm out.

I'll put the article up here once we go to print.
Old March 4th, 2023, 03:15 PM

I'm going to use the one picture of the car with Nikki Phillips on it since it's the best picture available of the car on the masthead cover. Plus, she was a babe.
Old March 4th, 2023, 03:53 PM

Resurrection!

The car has been purchased and will be at the H/OCA Nationals in Gettysburg this summer.

Sweet. I've been following the whereabouts of this car since Terry posted about it in the SX455 website 10+ years ago. Looking forward to more history and pictures.

Last edited by stlbluesbrother; March 4th, 2023 at 04:05 PM.
Old March 5th, 2023, 06:50 AM

That will be a good story..definitely want to read when your done.. what a cool car
Old March 5th, 2023, 06:55 PM

1970 Hurst Olds Pictures

Last edited by Ctls442; March 11th, 2023 at 04:28 PM.
Old March 5th, 2023, 07:53 PM

Wow - thanks, Greg.

That deck lid appears to have 2 sections. Is that the one-of-one spoiler blended into the quarter panel extensions?
Old March 5th, 2023, 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by stlbluesbrother
Wow - thanks, Greg.

That deck lid appears to have 2 sections. Is that the one-of-one spoiler blended into the quarter panel extensions?
I just don't remember; these pictures were taken 8+ years ago.

Last edited by Ctls442; March 5th, 2023 at 08:13 PM.
Old March 5th, 2023, 09:38 PM
Banned

So can I point out a couple super cool things. Cutlass Supreme tail lights had the small chrome rings / detail pieces. This has those. Cutlass tail lights had painted silver ridges. 442 tail lights weren't even painted silver on the lenses.

So that rear "spoiler" sure looks integrated into the trunk lid like formed in the metal. Am I wrong? Super Super cool shi* right there. Kind of has notes of the GSX spoiler. That is a One of
One some B right there. What a cool *** car.

Last edited by no1oldsfan; March 6th, 2023 at 04:05 PM.
Old March 6th, 2023, 04:41 AM

Originally Posted by Ctls442
I just don't remember; these pictures were taken 8+ years ago.
Greg, if you want, I can put some of those pictures into the article.
Old March 6th, 2023, 09:27 AM

1970 Hurst Olds Pictures

Greg, if you want, I can put some of those pictures into the article.
I have additional pictures of the car which I can post as I have known about it for many years back to when Bob C (Aaron's Dad) owned the car. I tried to buy from Aaron but some genius told him it was worth a millon dollars. Could never make the numbers work due to what the car would cost to bring back to life. Aaron's property was lost in a tax sale along with a lot of other cars on the property. I believe the builder who bought the property gave Aaron a deadline to have everything gone. Aaron was still trying to keep the car. I didn't want to step on the current owner's toes by telling the story, however, if he wants to contact me I would be happy to fill in the pieces for some of the details he may not know.
Old March 6th, 2023, 10:52 AM

I'll send you a PM.
Old May 16th, 2023, 07:08 PM

I neglected to post this article, but it was printed in the April and May issue of Thunder & Lightning. Special thanks to Ctls442 for the pictures on the third page, it really helped make it a bigger, better article.

Old May 16th, 2023, 07:24 PM
Banned

Bad *** Koda!! Thanks for sharing that. That poor car. Glad to hear that it might be brought back to it's former glory.

I had heard over the years that the Rallye 350 was built because Oldsmobile and Hurst couldn't agree for one reason or another.
Old May 16th, 2023, 07:32 PM

I neglected to post this article, but it was printed in the April and May issue of Thunder & Lightning. Special thanks to Ctls442 for the pictures on the third page, it really helped make it a bigger, better article.

Wow..still so many cars out there in hiding..I told Curt Anderson last summer that there had to be at least one or two 66 w30’s in some shed or garage..I mean 17 known to exist out of 54 built, has to be at least one or two stashed somewhere..
Old May 16th, 2023, 07:44 PM

Yes, there are some '66 W-30s still stashed away. I know the original owner of a '66 W-30 and a '70 W-30, both stored away with less than 10,000 miles each.
Old May 17th, 2023, 04:10 AM

Yes, there are some '66 W-30s still stashed away. I know the original owner of a '66 W-30 and a '70 W-30, both stored away with less than 10,000 miles each.
Unreal, hopefully they are secured and not in a place to deteriorate…Does the person ever show them?
Old May 17th, 2023, 11:10 AM

Thanks for sharing that article, Koda. Fascinating how diligent some people are. To be honest, it doesn't look THAT bad. It's a wreck but the 'special' equipment originally used was pretty minimal so a full-tilt resto won't be impossible (although crazy expensive). What's left, including the powertrain, is all original. Very cool.
Old June 8th, 2023, 02:16 PM

This car came out of Perkasie, PA. The previous owner (Aaron) lost the car due to the aftermath of foreclosure. Sad story actually as Aaron died shortly after losing the car. Aaron's Mom thinks the stress of losing the car contributed to his death. Front clip was missing after taking a hard hit, think back in the '70s, may have had frame damage as well, not sure. Not much left and/or salvageable of the original car after sitting outside and unprotected for many decades. Cool, "one of" rear spoiler. If farmed out, this car will take a LOT of money and hours to restore.
Hello. Actually, Aaron was not the owner of the car. He was the executor of his Dad’s estate (one of three sons from his Dad) and took no steps for at least 4 plus years in doing anything with his dad’s property during those years (as Executor) since his dad passed. I am certain Aaron had little to no stress about that car (his health wasn’t the best though) because he knew about that car, but did absolutely nothing about closing his Dad’s Estate (or the car in his Dad’s estate). Even after the property was sold (or foreclosed as you stated, and a builder bought it), he still had opportunity to take anything from the property, which he probably did (just not the car) as his dad had tons of collectible stuff in the house and cellar that were still left after the final sale of the property to the builder.
Old June 8th, 2023, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by shatrab
Hello. Actually, Aaron was not the owner of the car. He was the executor of his Dad’s estate (one of three sons from his Dad) and took no steps for at least 4 plus years in doing anything with his dad’s property during those years (as Executor) since his dad passed. I am certain Aaron had little to no stress about that car (his health wasn’t the best though) because he knew about that car, but did absolutely nothing about closing his Dad’s Estate (or the car in his Dad’s estate). Even after the property was sold (or foreclosed as you stated, and a builder bought it), he still had opportunity to take anything from the property, which he probably did (just not the car) as his dad had tons of collectible stuff in the house and cellar that were still left after the final sale of the property to the builder.
While Aaron's name may not have been on the title he spoke like the car was his. Told me it was his life's dream to restore the car, however did not have the funds. My friend did buy a number of the models when Aaron needed money. The added stress comment from losing the car came from his Mom. Aaron was adamant about not selling the car. Just relaying what I know from him and his Mom at the candy store. Seeing you are in Perkasie you likely have more knowledge than me.
Old June 8th, 2023, 09:06 PM

Resurrection!

Articel in Thunder and Lightning Hurst Olds CLub newsletter was great. Hop ethis guy is succesful on the restoration , well deserved.. Car was very rough. but doable.. at least it still had its original drivetrain..
Old June 9th, 2023, 07:36 AM

While Aaron's name may not have been on the title he spoke like the car was his. Told me it was his life's dream to restore the car, however did not have the funds. My friend did buy a number of the models when Aaron needed money. The added stress comment from losing the car came from his Mom. Aaron was adamant about not selling the car. Just relaying what I know from him and his Mom at the candy store. Seeing you are in Perkasie you likely have more knowledge than me.
I’m just glad that an amazing piece of history that was abandoned didn’t go to the crusher as it was literally within weeks of being cleared and crushed by the builder’s subcontractors.
Old August 12th, 2023, 04:41 PM

What an awesome read. I'd never known that a 1970 H/O existed. Sad that the car was left to rot away all of those years but it is great to see that it's gone to a passionate Olds guy. It'd be amazing to see the car returned to its former glory although I think it's pretty cool that the car is being showed and shared as is so people (like myself) can learn of such a unique Olds. Very, very cool story. Does anyone know what the Mr. Moyer's plans are for the car?
Old November 19th, 2023, 10:53 AM
Banned

Not sure that anyone has the answer but when that car got hit was that a fatal accident? Man that car got Hit Hard!!

Old June 6th, 2024, 08:37 PM
Alan Reedy

This is an old thread that keeps popping up so I guess it's as good a place as any to drop this example of the black cars twin brother from another mother which was also built at the same time. There were two of these known to have been built and I am convinced of a third one but do not have any numbers of it to confirm and its whereabouts is unknown. There may also have been more that are also unknown about. The two known, (found 12 years apart in separate parts of the country) are sequentially body numbered proving that they were built as part of a batch. They are virtually identical save for engine selection and the interior colors displayed (White or Gold). They are White colored SX's built in Dec of 1969, highly optioned and include the same sunroof (revised with a half landau top so the sliding roof panel is no longer covered in vinyl), bucket seats with obligatory Hurst Dual Gate Shifter, Dual sport mirrors, Sport steering wheel, AM/FM stereo, A/C, Tilt column, Power windows, Firefrost Gold paint scheme to include roof, lower rockers, stripes, SSII wheels, and grills. After the proposal to Oldsmobile was declined, these cars had to be returned to Olds and sold but could not be branded as a Hurst. Let me be clear here, This Car is NOT a Hurst Olds! Hurst dubbed the name "Sunshine Special", (also used by Hurst on the 1970 Hurst "Sunshine Special" Camaro just a few months later), and they were shipped to the two largest Oldsmobile dealers in the most affluent area of the country at the time that would most likely to be able to sell such a feature, (Thanks to Jim Wanger). (For those that don't know about Jim Wanger, he did not work for Oldsmobile. He was a marketing genius that was so well respected among the auto manufacturers, that he is responsible for the development of many of the early super cars. He is a whole nother story). Anyway, the two original dealers were located in Miami Beach Florida, one in Dade County and one in Broward County. Together they made the callout decal that collectively labeled the car as the "DB Sunshine", but it was more commonly referred to as the "DB Special". According to a list compiled by E. J. Stanchak of the Olds History Center listing all Regional and Dealer specials sold by Oldsmobile, these cars were simply noted to have been sold in Dade County Florida under the marketing name of DB/SX, with a simple note stating Dade Broward Special Edition. The original window sticker for these cars priced them at just over $6,400. The one you see pictured here is shown almost entirely in its original configuration as sold new, with the exception of the 15" SSIII later chrome wheels which I just added last year. Body work in the 80's has resulted in a replaced non-correct trunk lid (71-72) without the wide Gold stripes reapplied, and body side painting with which the Gold factory styled pinstripes were not reapplied. I plan on restoring both back to its original configuration. I do have the original wheels and spare that came on the car. The cars drivetrain features the W-32 engine with the OAI assembly and an SF code 3:23 posi rear end. As of this date, this is the only known one to still exist. I am hoping with more exposure, more examples can be found. Here it is.

Old June 7th, 2024, 08:48 AM
Olds fanatic

Alan, I found this DB/SX for sale on the east coast a number of years ago (one of the Carolinas, I think). I sent these pics to Terry so I know he is aware of it. Is this possibly your car now restored? I did not pursue it at the time and have no idea what ever happened to it. BTW, your car is beautiful! I think I would alternate between the original wheels and the current wheels on it, depending on where I was going. They're both cool, but those late model 442 wheels look great!!

Last edited by kpl70sx; June 7th, 2024 at 09:00 AM.
Old June 7th, 2024, 06:54 PM
Alan Reedy

That one pictured at the junkyard is not my car, but it is the car built directly after mine and sequentially numbered to my car. The difference between that car and mine was that car has the L33 engine with the flat hood and it displays a White interior instead of Gold. The third one I am convinced was made but have no numbers to back up, was also a white interior car with an L33 engine. I spoke to the guy who received it as a graduation gift in 1975. He at the time, modified the car to replicate the look of the (by then released) 72 Hurst Olds by adding an OAI hood, painting the roof white, and adding wider side stripes. Everything else in the car including the sunroof was the same. This is the only photograph he has of it showing how it looked after he modified it. Again, I am 100% sure that it was an authentic D/B Special but again, I have no numbers to support the claim. He did however get original paperwork from the original sale that was left inside the car when he got it. He told me that his car was sold at Crippen Oldsmobile in No.Miami, and the price was over $6,400 new. Unfortunately, he saw no reason to keep any of the paperwork. Here is the picture he sent me and a few more pictures of details of mine.

The third one? Also a white interior L33 car.

The rooftop covering crossed over at the rear of the quarter window and retained the 70 style strip at the base of the rear window.

Original headliner, 55 years old.

The rooftop switch location.

The original 14" wheel vs the newer 15" wheel

Old June 8th, 2024, 07:39 AM

@asx455 what a unique car! Thank you for sharing this story and your research!
Old June 8th, 2024, 12:01 PM
Senior Moment Member

Originally Posted by redoldsman
Unfortunately I imagine the roof ornament is showing some age by now.
MCACN! Linda Vaughn, her handler, Doc Watson. I don't know what year this was but it's a few back in time.

Old June 10th, 2024, 04:00 PM

the original pic of the car at the track with Linda Vaughn does not have supreme body side trim. I see others here with it.

wonder why ? Was the track car a one off , or did the others not have it?
Old June 10th, 2024, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by asx455
This is an old thread that keeps popping up so I guess it's as good a place as any to drop this example of the black cars twin brother from another mother which was also built at the same time. There were two of these known to have been built and I am convinced of a third one but do not have any numbers of it to confirm and its whereabouts is unknown. There may also have been more that are also unknown about. The two known, (found 12 years apart in separate parts of the country) are sequentially body numbered proving that they were built as part of a batch. They are virtually identical save for engine selection and the interior colors displayed (White or Gold). They are White colored SX's built in Dec of 1969, highly optioned and include the same sunroof (revised with a half landau top so the sliding roof panel is no longer covered in vinyl), bucket seats with obligatory Hurst Dual Gate Shifter, Dual sport mirrors, Sport steering wheel, AM/FM stereo, A/C, Tilt column, Power windows, Firefrost Gold paint scheme to include roof, lower rockers, stripes, SSII wheels, and grills. After the proposal to Oldsmobile was declined, these cars had to be returned to Olds and sold but could not be branded as a Hurst. Let me be clear here, This Car is NOT a Hurst Olds! Hurst dubbed the name "Sunshine Special", (also used by Hurst on the 1970 Hurst "Sunshine Special" Camaro just a few months later), and they were shipped to the two largest Oldsmobile dealers in the most affluent area of the country at the time that would most likely to be able to sell such a feature, (Thanks to Jim Wanger). (For those that don't know about Jim Wanger, he did not work for Oldsmobile. He was a marketing genius that was so well respected among the auto manufacturers, that he is responsible for the development of many of the early super cars. He is a whole nother story). Anyway, the two original dealers were located in Miami Beach Florida, one in Dade County and one in Broward County. Together they made the callout decal that collectively labeled the car as the "DB Sunshine", but it was more commonly referred to as the "DB Special". According to a list compiled by E. J. Stanchak of the Olds History Center listing all Regional and Dealer specials sold by Oldsmobile, these cars were simply noted to have been sold in Dade County Florida under the marketing name of DB/SX, with a simple note stating Dade Broward Special Edition. The original window sticker for these cars priced them at just over $6,400. The one you see pictured here is shown almost entirely in its original configuration as sold new, with the exception of the 15" SSIII later chrome wheels which I just added last year. Body work in the 80's has resulted in a replaced non-correct trunk lid (71-72) without the wide Gold stripes reapplied, and body side painting with which the Gold factory styled pinstripes were not reapplied. I plan on restoring both back to its original configuration. I do have the original wheels and spare that came on the car. The cars drivetrain features the W-32 engine with the OAI assembly and an SF code 3:23 posi rear end. As of this date, this is the only known one to still exist. I am hoping with more exposure, more examples can be found. Here it is.

that’s a beautiful car.
Old June 10th, 2024, 04:22 PM
Alan Reedy

Originally Posted by CANADIANOLDS
the original pic of the car at the track with Linda Vaughn does not have supreme body side trim. I see others here with it.

wonder why ? Was the track car a one off , or did the others not have it?
They were all slightly different or so called "One Offs". That's the whole idea when making a presentation for a proposal, to display a variety of choices with considerations for style, function and costs.

Old June 10th, 2024, 04:29 PM

The guy who owns the ‘70 Hurst Olds is a super nice, die hard Olds guy with a few beautiful Olds gems in his collection.
I hope he finds the ways and the means to restore it the way it should be.

I should have been built!
Old June 10th, 2024, 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by asx455
They were all slightly different or so called "One Offs". That's the whole idea when making a presentation for a proposal, to display a variety of choices with considerations for style, function and costs.
if they were all slightly different…how can this guy do a clone?

which slightly different one does he copy? there seems to be two distinct ones..
Old June 10th, 2024, 08:11 PM

which slightly different one does he copy? there seems to be two distinct ones..
It really doesn't matter since there's not much of it left.

This sunbeam special, it appears to just be a SX with a regional dealer package, correct?
Old June 11th, 2024, 01:12 AM
Alan Reedy

The original poster said he had only seen the one picture on the web and he was asking for more information or details about the proposed 1970 Cutlass SX Hurst Olds. I am merely supplying him with more information and detailed pictures about the cars themselves. If the goal is to replicate a proposal car, he needs to choose which of the proposals he wants to replicate. We know that the Hurst camp chose to stick with the White design when they created the 1972 Hurst/Olds, but anyone making a clone can choose the color scheme of their choice.

Old June 11th, 2024, 01:26 AM
Alan Reedy

It really doesn't matter since there's not much of it left.

This sunbeam special, it appears to just be a SX with a regional dealer package, correct?
Yes It very much appears to be a regional or dealer special package and quite possibly, these initial relabeled cars could be the inspiration that motivated Oldsmobile to create their own regional and dealer special packages program several years later.