General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Lead or Octane Supplement for Unleaded Gas?

Search this Thread

Old August 19th, 2009, 04:16 AM

Lead or Octane Supplement for Unleaded Gas?

I still have some pinging when I put the spurs to my 57 Olds J2 (after a good engine warm-up). Anyone fixed this problem with lead or octane boosting supplements for unleaded gas? Perhaps there's another, better fix? The ping does not sound too serious. I have also heard that Shell gas has a zinc additive the older cars like...any comments?
Old August 19th, 2009, 04:57 AM
Captain of my ship

Is the motor original? Adding a lead substitute can help with the pinging or valve noise in older motors and have also heard that adding a little ATF fluid to a tank of gas will help.There are also many off the shelf addatives that claim to reduce valve noise but have no idea which may be the best. I usually go with Lucas products myself when I can.Most of the products you are looking for basically are lubricants for the valves.
Old August 19th, 2009, 06:32 AM

If the car pings put higher octane gas in it. The use of lead additive has been mentioned before. IMHO, it isn't necessary, especially on a weekend warrior.
Old August 19th, 2009, 02:28 PM

I agree use premium. When I had the J2 371 in my 57 Olds if I did not use premium it would ping, also check you timing and make sure it is correct if you are already using premium it should not ping. Like that pink!
Old August 19th, 2009, 03:14 PM

Yep, using premium gas and still get the ping although not severe. She is a weekend warrior for shows and such, so I will try the octane boost additive until I can get the timing checked out.
Thanks for the input and comments. Dan
Old August 19th, 2009, 03:34 PM

Anyone know what the abbreviation IMHO means? (I'm still new)...
Dan
Old August 19th, 2009, 04:44 PM

Never mind, I think I get it, IMHO "Its my humble opinion"....a bit of alright!
Old August 20th, 2009, 04:42 AM
Captain of my ship

In my humble opinion

I have the same problem with my car , at least I did last year and I used a fuel addative to increase the octane. The premium fuel here is only 93 octane at the most so I thought trying to get the level up 5 points would help. I found that I am still getting some chatter when I put the pedal down. Over the winter I did a lot of work to the car including timing gear and chain , plugs , points , distributer cap , new rad ,all new gaskets and filters , fuel pump , transmission filter and gasket etc. etc. the next step will be to get the timing done but i have to take it to someone else for that since I have no light , maybe I can talk a buddy into coming over and doing it for me. might just cost me some beer. So if I still have the problem would you think that adding lead addative would be the next step?
Old August 20th, 2009, 06:04 AM

So if I still have the problem would you think that adding lead addative would be the next step?
I think if you set the timing properly you will eliminate the pinging. You might also have to fiddle with the springs on your mechanical advance as well though.

You might be able to rent a timing light at your local auto parts store.
Old August 20th, 2009, 06:28 AM
Trying to remember member

I think we need to clarify what we mean by "lead additive" here. There are basically 2 things here:
1. A "lead substitute", which is generally something for upper cylinder lubrication (to prevent valve seat erosion)
2. "Octane boost" products.
These are 2 different products that do 2 separate things. The vast majority of these products contain no lead.

Originally, real lead additives to gasoline did both. And there is (was at least) a "Real Lead" product that is genuine tetraethyl lead. That is the only product I know of that does both. Be careful, though, tetraethyl lead is very toxic and can be absorbed through the skin.
Old August 20th, 2009, 11:29 AM
Captain of my ship

The stuff I have found around here is a lead substitute and says it prevents valve seat wear. It also says that it contains mineral spirits. So that would just be the lubricant and not an octane booster correct.
Old August 20th, 2009, 11:57 AM
Trying to remember member

Originally Posted by wolfman98
The stuff I have found around here is a lead substitute and says it prevents valve seat wear. It also says that it contains mineral spirits. So that would just be the lubricant and not an octane booster correct.
Correct. There are many octane boosters out there. "104" comes to mind.
Old August 21st, 2009, 07:27 AM
Captain of my ship

There is a mechanic just down the road who specializes in old cars and I have decided that the car will be going there to get timed and tuned. he is also very good with electrical so maybe he can figure out the horn and wiper issues I have.He worked on dad's 52 chev 23 and 29 fords plus he has a few cars himself , though he is a Dodge man and has some big early 70's boats.