General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Interior help please.

Search this Thread

Old September 17th, 2013, 04:30 AM

Interior help please.

Hi all. Well I've decided to NOT sell my car, so I'm going to clean up the interior some. This is for my '69 Cutlass S Gold with Gold interior. One of the things I need are rear armrest bases in Gold. Are the fronts the same as the rear? What about colors for bucket seat backs? Or colors for kick panels? Or colors for the bucket seat bottoms? Also does anyone have new bucket seat springs? What about new headrests? I have looked at Legendary and Fusicks both. While they both have alot of stuff they don't have what I've listed. Anyone? Does YearOne have this stuff?
Thanks,
Jon
Old September 17th, 2013, 04:37 AM
Beer Connoisseur

Call legendary they should have everything. It might be a little more for gold color. I think they quoted me 20% more for gold.
Old September 17th, 2013, 05:41 AM

Jon, have you considered using aftermarket interior kits? You can get these from suppliers like Kanter. You don't have to recover your seats and headrests with OE fabric.

FWIW, I had a local interior shop redo the seats and door panels in my 71 98. It isn't OE but it is MUCH better than the condition of the interior when I bought the car.
Old September 17th, 2013, 06:44 AM

Well I didn't even know about Kanter. I just looked at their website and they don't seem to have the hard interior parts at all. Seatbacks, armrest bases, seat bottoms.
Old September 17th, 2013, 06:58 AM
Administrator

I'd try looking into local upholstery shops, get some referrals from people in your area. I would not do the whole interior just enough to make it nice and presentable.
Old September 17th, 2013, 04:18 PM
Beer Connoisseur

Have you tried OPGI?
Old September 18th, 2013, 04:37 AM

OPGI will have everything that you need. In many cases you will pay more for it though.
Old September 18th, 2013, 09:10 AM
Administrator

Legendary Interiors, OPGI, Yearone, and a few other resto parts sources will have most of that stuff. Your looking at around $2500 for a complete interior from carpet to headliner.
Old September 18th, 2013, 10:04 AM

Well I won't have that much in it at least not in theory. I don't plan on touching the rear seat or the door panels other than new window cranks and new armrest bases. I have about $1,800 priced out right now so maybe just bite the bullet and do it all.
Old September 18th, 2013, 04:44 PM
Administrator

Like I said in my earlier post, see if you can find an upholstery shop through referrals. You may be pleasantly surprised what they can do to make you happy for a lot less money.
Old September 18th, 2013, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by jon69olds
I have about $1,800 priced out right now so maybe just bite the bullet and do it all.
Wait until December and buy from Legendary when they have their x-mas sale.
Old September 19th, 2013, 06:43 AM

Keep us posted. I need to do the same to my 1969 Cutlass Supreme. It's a bucket seat car like yours and I need to redo the seats, carpet, door panels and the head liner.
Thanks
Old September 19th, 2013, 09:24 AM
Ben

Originally Posted by jon69olds
Hi all. Well I've decided to NOT sell my car, so I'm going to clean up the interior some. This is for my '69 Cutlass S Gold with Gold interior. One of the things I need are rear armrest bases in Gold. Are the fronts the same as the rear? What about colors for bucket seat backs? Or colors for kick panels? Or colors for the bucket seat bottoms? Also does anyone have new bucket seat springs? What about new headrests? I have looked at Legendary and Fusicks both. While they both have alot of stuff they don't have what I've listed. Anyone? Does YearOne have this stuff?
Thanks,
Jon
If you have a GOLD interior- and plan on ONLY restoring the front buckets- then the only good choice for upholstery is Legendary.

Covers made by Distinctive & PUI will not have the correct coloring, and won't match your other panels.

Their are "close enough" if changing out all the panels to new, but right next to originals- it becomes obvious they are a shade off.

Legedary costs more- but they are top notch and DO match those factory shades correctly so the new covers won't look out of place.

Just my $.02

Additionally, i see you asking about reproduction seat springs.
I would advise you not to replace them, but fix the originals.
The repops bottom springs are horribly stiff, and the repop seatback springs are flat out WRONG- and shouldn't be used at all.

If you need advise or parts to fix your springs, let me know I can get you what you need to avoid replacing the whole things.

One last thought-
A lot of vendors are being thrown around in this thread, something to keep this in mind:
For Upholstery and interior parts, there are multiple mfgs for a lot of this stuff- For instance OPG sells its own brand of seat covers & door panels- this is Distinctive Industries
Many other suppliers still covers made by PUI- but to further confuse things, some now (like National Parts depot) now sells both PUI & Legendary.

Same thing is true for the seat buns. THere are cheap crappy foams and more expensive high quality foams. Some cheap foams are sold by vendors for the same cost as the good ones- But they still are crappy. Shop by MFG- for seat buns, ask for American Cushion Industries (ACI). If they don't sell that one, or don't know what MFG they sell, don't buy it.

So the point of all this? Don't get hung up on WHERE you are buying stuff- or on the price. Research the MFG of the parts you want, then figure out which vendors sell it and then compare prices.
Old September 19th, 2013, 09:27 AM
Ben

RE: Headrests

The current Repop headrests cannot be dyed. Something to do with the molding process & release agents- even good SEM dye used with all their cleaning products won't stick for long and eventually will peel off. Some reproduction catalogs state this in their listings... some don't- but its true, I've seen it first hand.

I don't think they have GOLD available (i think only black are available actually) SO you would have to put a cover over it anyway.
So if you have original but cracked headrests- just buy new vinyl head rest covers along with your new seat covers and you'll be good to go. Unless you are missing the headrests, or have a black interior, no point in spending that money.

Last edited by RAMBOW; September 19th, 2013 at 09:31 AM.