General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

interesting craigslist find... real or not? "1969 Hurst Olds Prototype"

Search this Thread

Old May 14th, 2015, 11:47 AM
Tastefully Hooped

interesting craigslist find... real or not? "1969 Hurst Olds Prototype"

no pics but the story sounds interesting. can anyone validate it or not?
http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lgb...011479322.html
Old May 14th, 2015, 11:53 AM
Old School Olds

Hmmm. Did I miss the pics?

Last edited by tru-blue 442; May 14th, 2015 at 12:02 PM.
Old May 14th, 2015, 12:10 PM
Rocket Renegade!

I saw the Hemmings feature on this car. They certainly bought the story and the owner had traced it back far enough to enforce its plausibility. It is definitely a Hurst Olds, but beyond that there's no paperwork to back up the claim, so it's just a matter of whether a word of mouth legend has any veracity or adds any value. It'll be interesting to see.
Old May 14th, 2015, 12:11 PM
Tastefully Hooped

Originally Posted by tru-blue 442
Hmmm. Did I miss the pics?
with a story like that... who needs pictures?
Old May 14th, 2015, 12:19 PM
delete

https://www.mecum.com/lot-detail/SC0...ype/Automatic/
Old May 14th, 2015, 12:24 PM
Old School Olds

Nice.

Oh! There they are! Thanks Ron.
Old May 14th, 2015, 12:25 PM
Rocket Renegade!

Well, according to the Mecum writeup, somebody's done some more digging since the time of the Hemmings article. Those letters of authenticity should help it along.
Old May 14th, 2015, 12:29 PM
Old School Olds

Whata think she'll go for? North of 75 or thereabouts?
Old May 14th, 2015, 12:35 PM
Administrator

Link to Mecum:
https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...otype-car.html

I guess it was a bargain for $400k when I stumbled on back in Dec:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1969-Oldsmob...p2047675.l2557

Discussed here too:
Old May 14th, 2015, 12:48 PM
Old School Olds

Wow! Finally, an Olds getting some respect. Thanks for the links Eric.
Almost forgot Lee's 70 W vert, another beauty that got some respect.

Last edited by tru-blue 442; May 14th, 2015 at 12:50 PM.
Old May 14th, 2015, 05:55 PM

Sorry without the original Motor and the ultra Rare one of a kind spoiler etc, it's certainly special but Def lacking in my book. It's missing the Heart and soul.. It also bugs me the car was bought for re-sale only. Not of Fan of that BS.
Old May 14th, 2015, 06:47 PM

sigh

bring the text people - CL ads evaporate quickly

Wow, title says only $1
can we enforce this or else "false advertising" ?

" 1969 Hurst Olds Prototype Car - $1 (Indy)

1969 Hurst Oldsmobile fuel : gas transmission : automatic title status : clean

I have to share this. Amazing piece of Automobile History!!

For Sale at Auction in Indianapolis by Mecum Car Auctions is the following. May 12-17 NO RESERVE

https://www.mecum.com/lot-detail/SC0...ype/Automatic/

1969 Hurst Oldsmobile. The PROTOTYPE. Of 906 produced this is The very first one. The one owned by George Hurst himself. The one that was on the showroom floor in New York City to introduce the car to the world!!!!

This car has a featured article in Hemmings Muscle Machine Magazine.
Styling prototype for the 1969 Hurst Olds
- First 1969 Hurst Olds
- Was featured at New York Auto Show to introduce the 1969 Hurst Olds
- Originally painted Gold Base Pearl White by Chuck Miller for George Hurst
- Originally had a 517 CI engine built by Dale Smith Oldsmobile Engineering for George Hurst
- Now equipped with correct 455 CI engine with D heads
- TH400 automatic transmission
- Original rear end
- Car spent most of its life in Detroit with the exception of shows, exhibits, and other functions to promote Hurst Performance Products
- Documented ownership history
- Written documentation from Gary ***, Chuck Miller, and Don Morton formerly of Hurst Performance Research concerning the car
- Physical evidence left from the prototype versions still left on the car
- Mostly original interior except for recovered bucket seats
- Original floor pans and body in excellent condition
- Gas gauge not functional
- Recent repaint by Gary *** in original Gold Base/Pearl White
- 8mm video of Gary ***'s 1973 wedding reception featuring the car
- Cover car featured in August 2013 Hemmings Muscle Machines
The Hurst Touch:
The name Hurst Performance is well known in the enthusiast car industry. It was founded in 1958 by George Hurst to produce transmission shifters, and by the late 1960s had become the original equipment manufacturer (OEM) for several US car makers, featuring predominantly on high-performance vehicles. Hurst products were fitted to vehicles from American Motor Company, Pontiac, Ford, Plymouth and Oldsmobile. This association led to collaborations resulting in low-volume Hurst-named vehicles, including the 1969 Hurst SC/Rambler, 1971 Hurst Jeepster and, most famously, the ongoing series of Hurst Oldsmobiles.

Ladies and Gentlemen this car is a piece of Americana! With the Oldsmobile Division, fast becoming a distant memory, this car becomes even rarer and more valuable as time goes on.
How Rare is this car? According to the Oldsmobile's company records, there were 906 Hurst/Olds produced in 1969.

In 1969, with less than 1,000 total vehicles being produced, the 1969 Hurst Oldsmobile with its amazing brand new look that had a gorgeous Firefrost Gold and Cameo White color combination; its amazing hood scoops that could get anyone's attention and was the car that was dubbed the "Hairiest Oldsmobile" by Motor Trend Magazine was a "RARE Beast" even back in 1969 when it was built!

"Snarls softly and carries a BIG stick" ... that is the experience the 455CI Hurst Olds promised in 1969. Jack "Doc" Watson made sure that the signature "Hurst Gold" on Cameo White, dual English racing mirrors, hand applied black pin striping, die cast Hurst/Olds emblems, and gold trimmed interior was more than just a pretty appearance package. The dual-snorkel fresh air system forced air own the gullet of the 455. W-30 heads, cam, and distributor made sure the mixture of fuel and forced air made an explosive 380 hp and 500 pound-feet of torque. A performance modified Turbo Hyra-matic is shifted by a dual-gate Hurst shifter. Heavy duty suspension, power front disc brakes, and even the giant decklid spoiler rounded out the performance package. The rear air foil holds the backend to the road, creating 15lbs of down force at 60 mph, and 64 pounds at 120 mph. In the end "Doc" Watson got his way. The popularity of the Hurst/Olds 455 ended the GM imposed 400 CI displacement limit ended in 1970, paving the way for the W (for Watson) -30."
Old May 14th, 2015, 06:54 PM

I agree. Buying a classic car just to flip it just screws the little people that actually like driving and enjoying these cars. Aside from that, this car is just stunning. I had a picture of a 69' Hurst Olds in a frame hanging on the wall in my bedroom as a kid. I LOVE these cars.
Old May 14th, 2015, 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by RocketKid70
I agree. Buying a classic car just to flip it just screws the little people that actually like driving and enjoying these cars. Aside from that, this car is just stunning. I had a picture of a 69' Hurst Olds in a frame hanging on the wall in my bedroom as a kid. I LOVE these cars.
I also agree about the flip thing. We sold tribute 69 hurst my partner and i! The guy who bought it took it to a better level! I really like the 69 hurst wish i had the cash for a real one!
Old May 14th, 2015, 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by GoodOldsGuyDougie
Sorry without the original Motor and the ultra Rare one of a kind spoiler etc, it's certainly special but Def lacking in my book. It's missing the Heart and soul.. It also bugs me the car was bought for re-sale only. Not of Fan of that BS.
A missing #match motor is not a scarlet letter.

Also, is it any of our business why the owner wants to sell it? I know I haven't kept every car I've owned.
Old May 15th, 2015, 06:50 AM

I didn't read the entire listing, but didn't the prototype have a wrap around spoiler that never made production?
Old May 15th, 2015, 07:25 AM

It's not our business why the owner wants to sell it, but it is reasonable to be upset at people making money off of a hobby instead of enjoying it. Makes it hard for those of us on a budget.
Old May 15th, 2015, 02:09 PM

But the person who flips it is selling to the same market that he presumably outbid to buy it. If he does nothing to the car, he's unlikely to sell it for more and is just as likely to take a loss. If he restores it further he presumably adds value, and it should sell for more. Or if he simply hangs on to it and it rises in value, then it should sell for more.

While I have no desire to flip cars (or houses) myself, I don't see how it harms anyone. Things sell for what the market will bear, regardless of who's selling them.
Old May 15th, 2015, 03:08 PM

Sold for $150,000 plus fee
Old May 28th, 2015, 07:27 AM

Prototype Hurst Olds

Guys in reference to comments made on my Prototype Hurst I just sold. Originally I did not purchase to sell but to enjoy and drive and it was also a good investment. I mean who doesnt want their classic to be a good investment also. Come on now. I mean look at how many cars go across the auction line almost every week. If you think classic cars are just for people who drive them and love them for the rest of their lives your living in a dreamland. When people get tired of their classic they sell them and buy another for the most part. The thing about my car is when I discovered what it was I just couldnt drive it anymore because it was just too risky to expose it to possible damage due to an accident. I mean how can you drive the first 1969 Hurst Olds and not care about it not getting damaged by another car, hail and a host of other things. It was just to rare to take the chance. I will never forget the ride though. The story that was revealed by my research was one of the best experiences I have ever had in my life. Plus the chance to meet Don Morton who drove the car while at Hurst Performance Research and the chance to meet legendary Chuck Miller who did the prototype work on the car was just priceless. Overall all I can say is that I was truly blessed to have experienced it.
Old May 28th, 2015, 08:54 AM
Runner

Originally Posted by Marcusmaxis
Guys in reference to comments made on my Prototype Hurst I just sold. Originally I did not purchase to sell but to enjoy and drive and it was also a good investment. I mean who doesnt want their classic to be a good investment also. Come on now. I mean look at how many cars go across the auction line almost every week. If you think classic cars are just for people who drive them and love them for the rest of their lives your living in a dreamland. When people get tired of their classic they sell them and buy another for the most part. The thing about my car is when I discovered what it was I just couldnt drive it anymore because it was just too risky to expose it to possible damage due to an accident. I mean how can you drive the first 1969 Hurst Olds and not care about it not getting damaged by another car, hail and a host of other things. It was just to rare to take the chance. I will never forget the ride though. The story that was revealed by my research was one of the best experiences I have ever had in my life. Plus the chance to meet Don Morton who drove the car while at Hurst Performance Research and the chance to meet legendary Chuck Miller who did the prototype work on the car was just priceless. Overall all I can say is that I was truly blessed to have experienced it.
I think this was very well said. A lot of the thrill with classic cars is finding a barn find or a car with a great story. So what if you get it at a price you can easily make money off of. Like he said, sometimes you are ready to just get behind the wheel of another Oldsmobile. I bet less then 10% of the members of this board have only had 1 Oldsmobile in their life.
Old May 31st, 2015, 02:55 AM

Didn't change my mind in anyway on the subject.
Old November 25th, 2018, 03:40 AM

IMO that spoiler is way cooler than the production one.
As long as they had keeped it H/O only, and sold the one which got in to production, as an option to all others.