General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Insurance

Search this Thread

Old June 19th, 2022, 01:51 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Insurance

The insurance on my 75 Hurst Olds renews next month. It is currently insured through American Collectors who is the company I had my 54 insured with. This is the first time I have had a full year premium on this car. It is insured for less than the 54 was and the premium seems high. I get a quote from Hagerty and they were about $100 higher per year for the same coverage. I got a quote from JC Taylor and they are $50/year less which is not a lot of money but I am considering it. I am curious who has had experience with them. I have not asked for a quote from Grundy yet. I remember Tedd having a problem with an insurance company and it seems I remember it being Grundy. I would appreciate any feedback any of you have.

Thanks Guys
Old June 19th, 2022, 03:58 PM

I have Hagerty. It is expensive and I have thought about looking into other companies. The problem is that I had a car totalled once by a teenage girl who rearended me. Hagerty cut a check with little difficulty for the agreed coverage so changing companies for a cheaper rate might also mean it will be more difficult to get paid if something happens coverage.
Old June 19th, 2022, 04:27 PM

also Hagerty offers for a small addition fee the opportunity to have them Return Your Car To You after it was a total loss .. which I think is a great option - not sure if others offer this (?)

What do others think of this ?
Old June 19th, 2022, 06:14 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Cosmic Charlie
also Hagerty offers for a small addition fee the opportunity to have them Return Your Car To You after it was a total loss .. which I think is a great option - not sure if others offer this (?)

What do others think of this ?
Every auto insurance company offers this option, and none charge extra for it as far as I know. When your car is totaled, you have the option to simply take the cash and let the insurance company keep the car, or you have the option to retain the car. The payout from the insurance company in that case will be the totaled value of the car less the salvage value. I've done this with other cars and other insurance companies. It's not a big deal. Keep in mind that once the car is totaled, most insurance companies will not offer full value insurance unless you can prove to them that it was repaired to an acceptable condition. Of course if you only want the car for parts, that's a non-issue.
Old June 19th, 2022, 06:25 PM

With Hagerty, you can keep your car

Collectible vehicle insurance through Hagerty is the only coverage that offers Cherished Salvage, meaning:
  • You can retain salvage of your vehicle in the event of a covered total loss
  • No salvage value will be deducted from your final payment if you choose to retain your vehicle
  • You still receive the vehicle’s Guaranteed Value
  • The cost is 15% of the vehicle’s physical damage premiums
https://www.hagerty.com/insurance/cl...lvage-coverage
Old June 19th, 2022, 06:28 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Cosmic Charlie
  • The cost is 15% of the vehicle’s physical damage premiums
So probably the same as the amount deducted by every other insurance company... The difference is that Hagerty makes you pay up front. Everyone else only makes you pay if and when you total the car.
Hmmm... I wonder which is a better deal for the insurance company.
This sounds a lot like prepaying for the gas on your rental car.
Old June 19th, 2022, 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by redoldsman
The insurance on my 75 Hurst Olds renews next month. It is currently insured through American Collectors who is the company I had my 54 insured with. This is the first time I have had a full year premium on this car. It is insured for less than the 54 was and the premium seems high. I get a quote from Hagerty and they were about $100 higher per year for the same coverage. I got a quote from JC Taylor and they are $50/year less which is not a lot of money but I am considering it. I am curious who has had experience with them. I have not asked for a quote from Grundy yet. I remember Tedd having a problem with an insurance company and it seems I remember it being Grundy. I would appreciate any feedback any of you have.

Thanks Guys
Not Tedd with a problem with Grundy, they were great with follow through and keep me informed on the progress of the case, another guy's fault. Since then, I insured another car with them. Will renew when the time comes up...Tedd
Old June 19th, 2022, 08:37 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Thanks Tedd. See what a 75 year old memory does. I will get a quote from Grundy tomorrow.
Old June 19th, 2022, 10:02 PM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

Reminds me of the car resto show where the guy brought in a 64 GTO that had been bent on all 4 corners, Crushed A and B pillars on the passenger side even found old collision damage once they dove into it.
The GTO owner didnt have enough insurance to cover the repair. He didn't take into account that the car gained a lot of value since first insured. I think the repair bill exceeded 50K 10 years ago. The car had sentimental value. So the owner coughed up 20-30K. Most would have totaled it and parted it.

The bottom line stay ahead of the curve by 10-15 K. Look at the replacement value and shop rates annually.

I have an agreed value policy of 55K on mine. That's 480/year with flatbed towing roadside etc. $40- no brainer.
I saw JC Taylor in action. Buds 55 Chevy was rear-ended hard like up to the rear window hard. House of colors custom paint. JC said to take it to his choice of body shop. They said because of the custom paint if he wasn't satisfied with the paint match they would pay for a full-on repaint. Flip flop flames and all. The match was flawless. That's customer service.
Old June 20th, 2022, 03:58 AM

I am extremely pleases with the response I received, from JC Taylor insurance. I have filed two claims with them, and both times they took care of everything.
I highly recommend them.
Old October 5th, 2022, 06:09 AM

I dumped Hagerty years ago, it kept going up 50$ a year, Heacock is way cheaper,
Old October 5th, 2022, 07:53 AM
Randy C.

I've been with American Collectors since "Day 1" for my cars. I've had to use them only once (dented the driver fender on the '68) and they were great. I'd recommend staying with American Collectors.

Randy C.