General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Installing vinyl seat cover and carpet on 72 cutlass

Search this Thread

Old September 6th, 2012, 07:48 AM

Installing vinyl seat cover and carpet on 72 cutlass

Anyone have any advice on installing a new carpet in a 72 Cutlass Convertible. I purchased carpeting and a vinyl seat cover for rear seat and planning on installing it this weekend. Looks like the rear seat comes out easily, just need to know how hard it will be to put in the new vinyl seat cover on it and if there were any tricks involved.

Also how many hours should one need to replace the carpeting? I used Por 15 on the underside of the car and did not see any holes or damage so I hope I do not find a hornets nest when I remove the carpeting. I restored a 1972 MGB back in 1990 and based on that experience I should expect a few surprises.

Thanks,

Andy
Old September 6th, 2012, 08:09 AM

Leave both items in the sun for awhile first to get them pliable.

Maybe 60-90 minutes for the carpet with some in and out for tweaking and trimming. Cut too little off the carpet at first rather than too much - better off needing to trim again than to find out you have gaps near the sill plates/kick panels. The transmission hump will probably cause you some fitment angst. For the seat mounting bolts, cut smaller slits/flaps with a blade instead of big round holes.

To make installing the rear seat covers easier, you can lean your elbows on it or even lay face down on the seat cushion to compress it while you pop on the hog rings. I did that for a front bench seat on a '72 Supreme and it was a pretty painless job.

Good luck.

Terry
Old September 6th, 2012, 09:08 AM
Ben

Take a look at the sticky in the interiors section. I posted a link to a video that basically shows how to redo buckets.

I also included a link to a really long thread on Chevelles.com that has a ton of tips and info on redoing seats. Best to read that one newest to oldest because its been added onto over the course of about 4 years.
Old September 6th, 2012, 09:20 AM
Arrrggggg

Make sure before you start tearing rear cover apart you ordered correct size. There are 2 size coers these places sell one for the Vert, one for Hardtop. There is also the third rear seat size found in the F85's but to myknowledge no one makes a repro cover for the F85 only the Vert and Hardtop. I've seen some threads complaining of covers being short some inches and thats roughly the difference. in seats sizes is a few inches between the 3. I have all 3 at my house and I can measure and get exact distances if anyone needs to know them.

As far as carpet installation. It takes about half hour to trim, pre-pop holes for seats, seat belts and shifter if console based. Then a little time to glue it down and reinstal the side sill plates. Then about another half hour to reinstal seats throughout. So in total it took me about 3 1/2 hours to remove, clean, por-15 put down(I waited overnight for drying), cut and trim and glue new carpet and reinstal seats, belts, and other trim in my S with bench seats. Of course the overnight time is not included but the actual work time to get it all out and in.

On my 70 442 with console and buckets it took a little less time only because I didn't por-15 the floor.
Old September 6th, 2012, 10:19 AM

Carpet and Seat Install

Thanks for the numerous suggestions. I made sure I ordered the rear seat cover for the Convertible. I certainly do not want to find out after the old seat removal that I have a real issue.

I am hopeful that there are no "condition" issues underneath the carpet. I am hoping the Year One parts match. I am planning 4-5 hours for the project if I need to utilize Por15.

Thanks

Andrew
Old September 7th, 2012, 11:21 AM

I never glue down the carpet, I don't think the factory did either. Carpet is not too tough to install, you just have to work carefully. My only advice is if you have buckets, look on the Chevelle website for how to cut the carpet for the tracks. It's a good time to paint the legs on your seats. Nothing looks worse than rusty legs on new carpet or rusty legs on top of the carpet, especially w/ buckets. The seat should be bolted to the floor, and there should be small flaps to cover the bolts. The seats should not be bolted on top of the carpet. Finally, leave a lot of extra at the sills and vent panels. I don't think the carpet shrinks, but after a while it settles to the floor better. What was a perfect cut at the vent panels or sills will shorten over time if you don't leave a bit extra.
Old September 7th, 2012, 12:27 PM

You can see how I installed carpet and other interior items in my interior-makeover thread (link below). I had an upholstery shop recover my seats with Legendary covers, but the back one is fairly easy. Even the front I could have done if I had the time and space.
Factory carpet was not glued down. "T" cuts were made around the seat legs so the carpet went in after the seats were bolted down.
Old September 7th, 2012, 02:06 PM

For the seats you will also need about 50 hog rings and hog ring pliers. Might also want to install new foam , padding and burlap
Old September 7th, 2012, 03:27 PM

I was not planning on using glue. Struggling on whether I should put sound dampening material under carpet. I do not have enough hog rings but may have to run to a fabric store.
Old September 7th, 2012, 03:34 PM

Check out my thread "dynamat - worth it or a waste" to help you decide what to do on damping materials or if they are even needed. All depends on how you will use the car.