General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

I want to list my Oldsmobile on the classified

Search this Thread

Old May 7th, 2014, 11:05 AM

I want to list my Oldsmobile on the classified

Hello and thanks in advance. I want to list my Oldsmobile on the Classified part of ClassicOldsmobile.com. I can't figure out how to do that. Can anyone give me any advice? Is the classified just for dealers? I have my 1982 Delta 88 Royale Brougham that I want to sell because we need the garage space. I have loved it dearly all these years and it isn't easy to let it go. Thanks so much, Karen
Old May 7th, 2014, 11:18 AM
Beer Connoisseur

I think you need to post on the forum more than one time to be able to post in Classifieds, in order to prevent spam.
Old May 7th, 2014, 11:27 AM
Administrator

Just start a new post under cars for sale.
Old May 7th, 2014, 11:34 AM

Thank you both so much. I didn't see just a "cars for sale" section. I will check out all the threads again and look for that. It is breaking my heart to think about parting with my car but we are paying to store it now and that doesn't make sense. Both of you guys have beautiful cars! Thanks again, Karen
Old May 7th, 2014, 11:38 AM
Just an Olds Guy

82 Royale Brougham is a nice car in either the 2 or 4 door model. The 2 door will command a better price though. Be sure to post location, price, and pics of the car - that helps a lot of prospective buyers form a first impression. Good luck with your sale.
Old May 7th, 2014, 11:45 AM

Thanks very much Alan. It is a 2-door with the light grey interior. Outside is dark grey with lighter grey vinyl top. It has mileage in the 60's...can't remember exactly. I still haven't found the forum thread to list it and anyhow can't figure out how to upload pictures from my pictures on my computer. LOL. Maybe I am not meant to let it go...smiles. Thanks again, Karen
Old May 7th, 2014, 11:51 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Here's a link to the forum you're looking for, Cars for sale Also be sure to read the 'sticky' at the top of that page for guidelines

and here's a link to uploading pics How to Post Pictures

Sounds like a beautiful car. I had the big brother version - a 1983 Ninety Eight Regency Brougham. Wonderful riding and driving car!
Old May 7th, 2014, 11:56 AM

Thanks so much Alan!! I bet I can figure it out now. I also loved the 98. I had a tough decision deciding which to buy. I was working for a pharmaceutical company at the time (1983) and my company car died. I rented a 98 for a month to use as my company car until my new car arrived. I loved the cushy ride of the 98 but I loved even more the feel of the road I got with the 88. I agree both are wonderful cars! Thanks again, Karen
Old May 7th, 2014, 12:38 PM
Big Daddy No Bucks

Welcome.

That was a very nice color combo for those.

Look forward to seeing the pics.
Old May 7th, 2014, 01:28 PM
Administrator

Most of us understand about selling a car that's a part of the family, kinda traumatic. Hopefully you've got the posting figured out.
Old May 8th, 2014, 04:02 PM

Too funny! I finally got 5 pictures to upload to this site but I have no idea where they went. LOL!
Old May 8th, 2014, 04:07 PM
Big Daddy No Bucks

Did you upload them here & they vanished ?.

Or are they lost on your pc/tablet/phone etc ?.
Old May 8th, 2014, 04:12 PM
Administrator

I don't see where you started a classified thread or uploaded and pictures.
Old May 8th, 2014, 04:15 PM

It said they were uploaded to Classic Oldsmobile. Lol. I am usually not this dim. Lol.
Old May 8th, 2014, 04:20 PM
Big Daddy No Bucks

If you go into your user control panel under attachments :

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...ditattachments

That will show if you have anything uploaded to this website.
Old May 8th, 2014, 04:22 PM
Administrator

If you can make up a for sale add in this thread and up load some pictures, I'll move it for you to the classifieds.
Old May 8th, 2014, 04:23 PM

WOW they are there! They did upload! Thanks so much, Karen
Old May 8th, 2014, 04:37 PM

That is so kind of you! Thank you! We will write something up tomorrow. I have difficulty letting this car go but I know I need to. It sat in our garage until it was displaced when we bought a new car in November and kept the previous one. So my Olds is now in a big garage where classic cars are stored. My husband and I had company cars throughout our careers and we both had our personal cars...my 82 Olds and his 1977 Chevy Beauville Van also with mileage in the 60's. Somehow though his van kept it's stall in the garage and my Olds was moved to the classic storage garage. Hmmm...Lol.
Old May 13th, 2014, 02:24 PM

Hi you guys! I want to thank you all so very much for all of your help. I tried to retrieve the 5 pictures I had FINALLY managed to upload a few days ago today. They were there the other day under my attachments but gone today. I finally managed to upload one picture of my car and start an album but it wouldn't let me upload any more pictures. I just listed it on Craigslist and may do Ebay as well as Hemmings. Thanks SO much for all of your trouble. You guys are the best! Karen http://jxn.craigslist.org/cto/4468704802.html

Last edited by RichardLaBonte; May 13th, 2014 at 02:36 PM.
Old May 13th, 2014, 02:29 PM

That link doesn't work because you have a slash (/) before the "html" at the end instead of a period.

Try this:

http://jxn.craigslist.org/cto/4468704802.html

Very nice looking car.

Old May 13th, 2014, 02:31 PM

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1982 Delta 88 Royale Brougham
http://jxn.craigslist.org/cto/4468704802.html

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
GEEZ the above link I just posted wouldn't work so I cut and pasted from the email from Craigslist! We will see if that works. Karen

Last edited by RichardLaBonte; May 13th, 2014 at 02:34 PM.
Old May 13th, 2014, 02:34 PM

Thank so much Jaunty! Am I allowed to just list the link to Craigslist on the classified section of the Classic Oldsmobile page?
Old May 13th, 2014, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by RichardLaBonte
Am I allowed to just list the link to Craigslist on the classified section of the Classic Oldsmobile page?
As opposed to what? Putting the link in several threads in several different forums? That sort thing is generally frowned upon.

At the moment though, this thread, and thus the link to your ad, is in the "General Discussion" forum. I would think it would be fine to start a new thread in the "Cars for Sale" forum with a link to your ad. But that should be enough. People looking to buy a car would naturally think to look in the Cars for Sale area.
Old May 13th, 2014, 02:47 PM

I didn't want to put the link in several forums. I just wondered if it is okay to put a link to Craigslist in the Cars for Sale forum and it seems that it is. I really appreciate your help. I tried and tried but simply could not upload photos to Classic Oldsmobile. I literally spent hours trying. I always got an Error 101. Thanks so much Jaunty, Karen
Old May 13th, 2014, 02:55 PM
Administrator

I set up a classified ad for you, good luck.

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...am-5795-a.html
Old May 13th, 2014, 03:08 PM

Thank you OldCutlass!! I really appreciate that! This site simply would not let me upload photos. I wondered how that ad included my Craigslist ad instead of a link. Lol. Thank you so much!
Old May 13th, 2014, 03:13 PM

I tried and tried but simply could not upload photos to Classic Oldsmobile.
I never upload photos here because they end up as thumbnails. It's much easier to post them on another site, such as perhaps a photo-sharing site like picasa or shutterfly, and just link to them here. That way they appear full size right in your message, and people don't have to keep clicking back and forth between the message and the photos.

You have them posted in your craigslist ad, and it is no problem at all to display them here. In effect, craigslist is hosting your photos.

Etc.

When you eventually take the ad down, though, the photos will disappear from it as well as from here, so that is one drawback to linking to external photos. However, once your car is sold, the photos don't need to be here anymore, anyway.
Old May 13th, 2014, 04:00 PM

Thank you very much Jaunty. I am going to look into Picasa or Shutterfly! Karen
Old May 13th, 2014, 04:23 PM
Big Daddy No Bucks

Beautiful car.

An 80-85 D88 coupe has been on my wish list for sometime.

Wish I were in the position to do more than just admire it from my PC screen.

Anywhoo ...

There is another advantage to hosting the pix elsewhere (most times) is the size of the pix.

CL chops your pix down pretty small.

There is also supposed to be a limitation in the size of pix posted & hosted here on CO ... but I've found that to be hit or miss.

I've uploaded a quickie pic here or there directly to CO ... that was LARGER than what is says you should be able to post here.

But don't tell anybody.

PS -

Another option for hosting your pix is :

www.use.com

They might not have a snazzy name ... but it's simple & gets the job done with minimal fuss.
(it's what I use)
Old May 14th, 2014, 01:35 AM

Beautiful car, good luck with the sale...

Olds did such a wonderful job on the B-body 2-doors...
Old May 14th, 2014, 06:38 AM

Thank you Pack Rat and Isutigers. I think it is beautiful too. I want it to go to someone who will really appreciate it. I fell in love with this body style when they were introduced. My first car was a 1954 Mercury Montego which was about 10 years old when I got it. My next car was a 1964 Chevy Super Sport. I regret selling both of those. I guess that is why I have kept my Delta 88 for such a long time. It occupied a stall in our garage until we bought a new car in November and chose to keep the previous one since it was already set up to tow behind our motorhome.
Old May 14th, 2014, 06:54 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Ahhh, so the real solution is to just build a bigger garage. The pictures on CL show the car very well. It's obvious the car was very well cared for. The interior shows like new and that's not easy with that dove gray velour fabric. The steering wheel looks like it just came off the production line. So sorry it's up for sale, I don't think anyone will come close to giving it the love you have.
Old May 14th, 2014, 02:47 PM

Thanks Allan. I know...I feel as though I am deserting an old friend. It isn't horrible to just keep storing it for $50 a month. It's a very nice place.
Old May 17th, 2014, 02:39 PM

Well my friends...everything I have ever heard about Craigslist is true! I am going to share with you this crazy response I got today in response to my ad!!

"Am much interested in buying it from you and am okay with the condition and the asking price but i will have call you to let you be aware but i cant due to my illness am a deaf man buying this as a gift to my son so kindly get back to me with your paypal email id for the payment to be done now"

Can you guys believe that!? How completely stupid does this person think I am? I can block him from sending further inquiries but I can't wait to remove my Craigslist ad. Problem is that it will take the pictures away from here. A friend of mine suggested that we just take our car to the Oldsmobile parade in Lansing over Father's Day Weekend as there is a for sale area there.

I am angry because I hate to think of people falling for nonsense such as this inquiry which I received. Thanks for listening, Karen

Karen
Old May 17th, 2014, 03:12 PM

Well my friends...everything I have ever heard about Craigslist is true! I am going to share with you this crazy response I got today in response to my ad!!
This is, unfortunately, a fact of life in the era of craigslist and text messaging. Many people put in their ad that they simply won't respond to emails or texts but will take only phone calls. If this guy is deaf and can't talk on a phone, and he's for real, he can find someone to call for him.

But I wouldn't throw the baby out with the bathwater. Yes, you have to put up with scammers, but real buyers are out there, too, and craigslist is a very good way to reach them. I wouldn't discount it.

I sold my '02 Dodge Dakota last summer via craigslist. I didn't put any restrictions on how people could contact me, and I received all kinds of scam emails and texts, some sounding very real and convincing. But I just ignored them, kept the ad up, and finally did get a real inquiry from a local high school kid who had saved up his money and wanted to come and look at the truck with his father. They were a great family, this is the kid's first vehicle, Dad approved, and I sold it to them. It couldn't have turned out better for all concerned.

So, chin up! Stick with the craigslist ad. Take it to the Olds show as you said. Etc. Etc. You can't predict which of your various ways of advertising the car will ultimately result in a sale, so you want to keep as many avenues open as possible.
Old May 17th, 2014, 04:12 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Problem is that it will take the pictures away from here.
Karen, sorry to hear but not surprised that the scam artists are after your car. If you wish to have the car continued to be listed here and want the pics to be uploaded to your thread I can help you. If you'd like, send me a PM and I'll give you my home email. You can send me the pics and I'll be happy to upload them to your thread. I'll attach them to the C.O. database and they will stay even after you sell the car. It can be a legacy of pictures showing your car.

I don't blame you for wanting to take down the CL ad, but you might want to give it a bit longer chance to see if there's any other interest. Block the creep and see how many other folks have a passion. Generally from what I know of CL, peeps will watch the listings to see how long they run. Then they'll lowball offer on repeat listings of the same car. It's the way the market works. Someone who really wants the car will get in touch right away and likely want to negotiate with you and have the car inspected. That's where your maintenance history comes in really handy.
Old May 18th, 2014, 10:31 AM

Hi Jaunty...Thank you so much for the great story about the sale of your truck on Craigslist! That was a very happy ending for everyone!

Allan, you are so very kind! I will be happy to email the photos to you. Thank you so much and I will send you a private message with my email.

Best, Karen
Old May 18th, 2014, 10:49 AM

There are a ton of folks that come to the Lansing show, most cars for sale there are either way over priced or need a ton of work, so price yours fairly (I have no idea what that would be as I don't those cars well) and I bet you would get a lot of interest. Good luck, looks like a great car. Yikes. I just looked at your ad, seems like a great price to me. Hmmmm, would be a great car for my 18 year old daughter or my 25 year old son who drives a 1998 Cutlass