General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

How easy is it to change a lower ball joint?

Search this Thread

Old June 29th, 2015, 06:46 PM

How easy is it to change a lower ball joint?

I have a 69 Delta 88 and the lower ball joint needs to be replaced. How easy is it to replace? I am fairly mechanically inclined, but have it at the shop having the gas tank dropped and cleaned out (I have no lift). I wondered if I should go ahead and bite the bullet and have them do it or do it myself. Is it a press fit or bolt on? Is it riveted? I normally wouldn't hesitate to do the work myself, but Grandpa just passed away Friday (he's the one who gave me the car back in '07) and I am needing it fixed by Wednesday so I can drive grandma in it to the funeral in honor of grandpa.

Last edited by Gaz Hog; June 29th, 2015 at 06:49 PM.
Old June 29th, 2015, 06:58 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Have it done. That time frame is too tight, considering all of the other things you are going to have to do in the next few days.

It is a press fit, and is usually spot welded as well, as I recall.
The entire lower control arm has to come off, which means the spring has to be decompressed.

It's not the hardest job in the world, but if you haven't done it, you can rely on its taking at least a full day, start to finish.

My condolences. I'm sure Grandpa would be glad to have Grandma in his car in the procession.

- Eric
Old June 29th, 2015, 07:16 PM
Administrator

If its at a shop, Eric is right, might be simpler. X2 on your grandfather.

If you decide to do it yourself...If your local auto parts store loans or rents a ball joint press, its very easy and wouldn't take but a couple of hours. You have to jack the car and set the lower control arms on jack stands with enough room to get access to the ball joint. Remove the cotter pin, loosen the nut, and separate the ball joint from the steering knuckle with your preferred choice of tool, bfh or pickle fork. Press the ball joint out of the arm then press the new one in. Tighten, then torque the nut, install cotter pin, pump a small amount of grease in, and your done.
Old June 29th, 2015, 07:30 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

This is good advice from a couple guys who know their stuff. My condolences to you and your family. I am sure it will be special for your Grandma.
Old June 29th, 2015, 09:44 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by MDchanic
It is a press fit, and is usually spot welded as well, as I recall.
The entire lower control arm has to come off, which means the spring has to be decompressed.
Actually, it doesn't. If you use a ball joint tool (basically a large C-clamp), you can simply disconnect the spindle from the lower ball joint with the lower control arm, spring, and shock in place. The shock will keep the spring in place. I've done this. It took about an hour. You can often rent this tool.

This photo gives you an idea, however, the screw part of the tool is supposed to be in line with the body of the ball joint. In reality, you are supposed to use a cup that goes over the ball joint stud and presses on the body of the ball joint, not on the stud that can shift off to the side.

Old June 30th, 2015, 06:52 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Well, okay, Joe, but if his ball joint is so bad that it needs to be changed before a slow roll like that, then I would think that he would want to get to his control arm bushings while he's there, etc. etc.
Also, if he hasn't done this job before, even if it's all he's doing, I think he needs to be prepared for trouble (slipped jack, general wrong moves) the first time, which could make the job take longer. He's got a funeral to prepare for in a couple of days - considering the power of Murphy, I just don't think he should mess with it.

- Eric
Old June 30th, 2015, 07:01 AM
Old(s) Fart

I don't know anything about the O.P.'s tools or skills. I was just pointing out that it is possible to change the ball joint without disassembling the front suspension.
Old June 30th, 2015, 07:31 AM

Have the shop do the repair like others have said so well.
condolences

Last edited by Bernhard; June 30th, 2015 at 07:35 AM.
Old June 30th, 2015, 07:36 AM
Administrator

Using Murphy's law as an example would prevent us from doing most repairs.... If for some reason the car is not serviceable by either not being able to perform the repair or it leading to other repairs he finds serious enough to address which leads to a change in plans, I'm sure his grandmother will understand.
Old June 30th, 2015, 07:38 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
Using Murphy's law as an example would prevent us from doing most repairs...
True, but considering Murphy's Law in cases where you have an immutable time limit before a very important event is always wise.

- Eric
Old June 30th, 2015, 07:57 AM
Just an Olds Guy

I don't know guys. If the car is drivable (likely) it will survive a short trip to a funeral and back. Since the OP says he's mechanically inclined he can tackle the ball joints and anything else he wants after that ride is done. It will also cost a lot less and he can learn about his car at the same time.

Gaz Hog - it's your call. Does the ball joint need immediate repair?