General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

How did you get your Oldsmobile?

Old January 23rd, 2015, 09:03 AM

I traded my 71 Cheyenne that had just been all freshened up for my 72 Cutlass. I then sold it in 2004 and bought it back from the same guy in June of 2014. The Cutlass is starting to show some age but I just cruise around and I'm not a trophy hunter at shows so its ok. I will get blown apart and restored when the kids get a little older.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
20140621_154440.jpg (73.7 KB, 196 views)
20140611_174025.jpg (110.3 KB, 34 views)

Last edited by Rocketdriver; January 23rd, 2015 at 09:08 AM.
Old January 23rd, 2015, 09:36 AM

The last one, the '85 442, I was forced to buy.

The first one I went looking for a hot rod, maybe Chevelle or whatnot, but they were either hokey or pricey. 1968 442 ad came up, piqued my interest having had Cutlasses like '64 and '67... went to see, nah, too much rust. Few days later went and bought. Fell in love. Found out later it is an original W30.
Old January 23rd, 2015, 03:55 PM

Weeeeeell, I was looking for a first car for my son. I looked at a lot of cars and this one came up for sale around the corner for $11k. I thought it would be cool for him to have the very same model of car I had as my first car and for us to have a father and son project. I offered her $5k and told her that she didn't have to say no right now but to entertain my offer if it did not sell for the price she wanted. A few weeks later she called and said come and get it. It was very tired and needed a lot of TLC.

Needless to say the father/son thing did not work out. So I continued to play with it, started in 2009. I have been using it as my DD and ongoing toy since.
Old January 23rd, 2015, 04:39 PM

I had been looking for several months for some form of muscle car. Mine came up on craigslist for $5000 obo and after looking and negotiating, I got for $3500. Needs work but I thought it seemed fair for a running 67 Olds. I have always loved the 67 models and look forward to working on this beast!
Old January 26th, 2015, 01:39 AM

Always wanted a american v8 car,most a big one, after i get the oldsmobile i realize im happy to have something that not everyone have,, like FORD (mustangs) etc, chevys...

but buicks come after olds in my favorites, i like pontiacs too, and some dodges/mopars too..

anyway my buddy has one, i got it cheap, bad condition but i save it and it has not be registrated since 2005,it got on the roads 1-2yrs after, and the project still continue. best car i ever have and with no problems at all!!
Old January 28th, 2015, 02:11 AM

I was looking for a 50s US-Car but no chevy bel-air. So someday I found this 1950 Olds 76 about 200km away from my home. I contacted the owner and one day after work a buddy and I went to take a look at it. The owner found it somewhere in CA where it settled outside for about 30 years. He bought the car drove it in the USA and then brought it to Germany. It had a great patina which I really liked. But it had no floor, no seats and it was too much work. I wanted something like a turn-key every day driver.
So this was not my car but from the moment I saw it, I knew I had to buy an Olds.
I searched every platform for a 50s Olds but didn't find anything. Then I contacted a company which buys and imports cars from the USA to Germany and they found my Super 88.
About 2,5 months later it stood in my driveway :-)
Best day ever!
Old July 18th, 2015, 09:58 PM

sorry this is late but i got a 1980 olds cutlass calais with electric seats,ac,cruise,power windows,rally gauges consal shift,and the p.o. changed the motor out to a 350 with only 1200 miles on it,all i had to do was haul it home to rosaila+ 9miles to pine city. it runs but needs electrical work and some work on the drivers side rear quarter panel,looks like she backed into something(women drivers).
Old July 19th, 2015, 02:13 AM

Never saw this thread before, so here's my story. Always been around Oldsmobiles, family had owned them, I had a few when I was younger. I always wanted to do a G-body Cutlass with a big block, big blocks are my thing. Somehow got to a point where it hadn't happened yet, and noticed I'm not getting any younger, as those middle-aged guys can relate to. Finally found one on E-bay. V6 car for $1,200 with no motor and decent paint without any rust. Perfect candidate, only 100 miles away. Rented a trailer and picked it up. Picked up a low-mile mild 1970 455 the next day, and had it installed factory style within 30 days of weekends and late nights. Been perfecting it for the last few years, it has become my favorite car of all time, bar none. Now planning on '80s B/C-body and Toronado 455 builds, just because.
Old July 19th, 2015, 06:35 AM

I had never owned a classic car before, but I always loved the way they looked. I was looking around craigslist for a few months actually looking for a nova and found my 70 Cutlass Supreme. Had a hell of a time getting it because the man I bought it from received the wrong title from the woman that he bought it from up in Massachusetts (He was paralyzed and wasn't able to drive it so he never got it registered in his name... not quite sure why he bought it though) After more than a month of waiting we were finally able to make a deal and I love the way the car looks and drives
Old July 19th, 2015, 06:47 AM

A friend of my brother had a 1970 cutlass S for sale for $2500. It ran, but had a miss in it and it ran like crap. The interior needed work, and the paint was bad, but it was 98% rust free. I ended up trading a 1999 Yamaha Roadstar for it. It was completely stock and, most importantly, all-there. I couldn't have been more pleased. I've wanted one since before I even had a driver's license. 25 years in the waiting, and now I have one.
Old July 19th, 2015, 08:22 AM

When I was 11 years old I went into my neighbors garage to get their lawn mower to cut their grass, they had a brand new 1972 Olds Delta 88 4 door hard top, I instantly fell in love with that car. Later on when they traded it in for a '78 Ford, I purchased the car while a senior in high school.
Attached Images
Picture 007.jpg (447.5 KB, 25 views)
Picture 003.jpg (578.6 KB, 25 views)
100_1024.JPG (1.24 MB, 19 views)

Last edited by 72hardtop; July 19th, 2015 at 08:41 AM.
Old July 19th, 2015, 07:17 PM
Photoshop God

In 1974 my dad bought my mom a car. She wanted a convertible and we were looking at the local Olds dealer. They had a brown and a blue 71 cutlass convertible. This was a week or two before the fourth of July. The blue one was supposed to be used in the parade. Dad bought mom the blue one, her favorite color and the brown one was in the parade. This car is the car I first drove and learned how to drive in. In the early 80s it was getting a little worn and they replaced it with a white turbo k-car convertible. That car sucked. They may as well not have put a rear window in it. At that point the cutlass went into the shed and has been there since. Dad used to start it once in a while, but it just sat there waiting for someone to love it again. My son and I started the major project to get it back on the road last summer.
Old July 20th, 2015, 05:06 PM

I had sold a 71 Caddy DeVille but soon wanted another old car. After almost giving up on a car that didn't need much work I answered an ad an found a totally rust free Cutlass that spent most of its life down south. It had only 58 K miles. I bought it on the spot.
Old July 21st, 2015, 09:02 AM
car nut farmer

Originally Posted by Rocketdriver View Post
I traded my 71 Cheyenne that had just been all freshened up for my 72 Cutlass. I then sold it in 2004 and bought it back from the same guy in June of 2014. The Cutlass is starting to show some age but I just cruise around and I'm not a trophy hunter at shows so its ok. I will get blown apart and restored when the kids get a little older.

Reminds me of the '71 I had. Love the green.
Old July 31st, 2015, 04:32 PM

Late 2009, I finally had my license and enough funds to start looking for my first car (I think I was the only person in my Drivers Ed. class that didn't have their parents buying brand new cars for them) and was looking at Craigslist ads. I've always loved classics so I was mostly looking at cars from the 70s/80s when I found one of the few that didn't have any pictures whatsoever.

The gentleman selling the car was the grandson of the original owner, a 94 year old woman that had backed it into an SUV and crushed the trunk and the taillight... I gave the number listed a call anyway, and got a couple pictures emailed to me for inspection (these pictures are lost to time, or I would post one!) and I was told that if the other interested party didn't purchase it then it was mine if I wanted it.

I got the call the next day that the other person had to cancel his trip from Ohio to get the car, so I could get it the following morning if I wished, by that time the next day I was the proud owner of my first car, a 1977 Olds Omega!

...And boy, the abuse this young driver has put that car through in the following six years

Old November 21st, 2015, 02:25 AM

Come get it!

I found my cutlass through my old boss who had an 80 cutlass that had been in the family for a while...but he saw how i had put together and restored my 86 grand national and he told me ti cone get it as l9ng as i had tags for it... so i did!
Old November 21st, 2015, 10:36 AM

I found my 70 Cutlass (sport coupe) in the "NY Car Buyers Market" and bought it in Brewster, NY for $1200.
My brother forward an email link about a 70 Cutlass Convertible in South Plainfield, NJ and I bought it for $7000.
Old November 24th, 2015, 06:47 AM

Bought my 67 442 in 68 from a dealer(paid for it while in Nam), bought a 71 CS from a dealer in 72, bought a 91 Cutlass 2 dr. from ins. salvage (needed a left front fender), bought a rust free 67 F85 2 dr. on ebay, bought a 68 Delta 88 with a 1,000 miles on complete rebuild of the 455 and TH 400 on craigs list. The 455 and trans. now live happily in the F85. Will post pictures if some one could show me how.
Old November 24th, 2015, 07:30 AM
jfb

I liked joe padavanos story a lot first of all that is the way it should have stayed owner to owner no auction and collecting bs. I found my 71 in Berwyn il for 400 first and 325 with out a battery I paid 325 and installed a battery from 2 blocks over from pep boys. There battery was old and well used and corroded.The car sat for a winter with the trunk and hood open in the snow but was a California kept car beforehand. This area is still a hot bed for lower priced cars they keep cars forever in this area and do not rip you off. I will say though that they are not high end cars out there.Like my sx they are appropriate for income levels there.
Old November 24th, 2015, 07:42 PM

Back in 1984 there was a apartment complex near where I was living in the Chicago suburbs that had a trailer every so often with some 60's/70's muscle car on it. One day as I was driving by there was a 1969 H/O on the trailer.... I screeched to a halt, pulled in, had no idea who's car or trailer, so I wrote a note on a piece of paper basically saying if you are interested in selling the car please call and left my phone # thinking that it was a long shot at the least. To my astonishment, three days later the guy called me and said the person he brought the car up for backed out of the deal and I was the next person in line. Turns out the guy basically picked up cars in Georgia and California and brought them back to the Chicago area to sell. I was so naive at the time that I had no idea on how to verify the car or to tell if anything was original, just lucked out as everything turned out to be correct as I learned as the years passed.
Old April 20th, 2019, 11:59 AM

Picked this '68 up in TJ about 3 years ago. A guy that used to work for me years back gave me a call & said the original owner was through putting money into it. She brought it down for new vinyl and the whole roof was rotted through when they took the old one off so she just let it go. Cost my $900 for the car & $2200 for the roof which was from a '68 Chevelle. She had every receipt in the trunk going back to '74, 116k on the body, 19k on rebuilt motor & tranny. The original black plates need to be restored in case anyone was curious, couldn't read them for ****. Replacing the trunk & rear floor pans and going in for paint once the tax man pays up!

Old April 20th, 2019, 06:53 PM

I’m 67 now so I’ve had my share of cars! My first car was a well abused 70 442 that my older brother borrowed one evening. Later that night I heard my parents and my brother talking outside in the driveway , he got t-boned, he was ok thank God but the was totaled! A couple of months later I picked up a well worn 67 442 4sp for the tidy some of 750 dollars, these were 1973 dollars. From this point on I had a couple of non Oldsmobiles then through a little luck on my part my girl friend lost her license for speeding. I ended buying her car, a 1968 cutlass S 350 4sp duals and posi. I believe it to be a 320 hp engine? She is now my lovely wife of 42 yrs! Life got in the way for quite a few years but as time passed I was able to get back into fun cars again. So last fall I fell for a 64 F85 455 turbo 400 , 391 O type rear. I think I over paid for the car but it is pretty much a rust free car with lots of new cool parts. It has some documentation and protecto-plate. Thanks for listening. I am really enjoying everyone’s stories.
Old May 27th, 2019, 09:48 AM

I went to my friends shop and saw this car sitting behind the shop I asked him what’s up with that car, he said it was going to California to another friend who was going to use the front subframe to build a rear engine enconline, I walked over to see it an saw the Toronado GT on the hood, I said I want it and he said it’s yours all you need to do is find another subframe to go to California that’s how I came to own my 70 Toronado GT. My 71 convertible is a different story. My brother in law had bought the car and had it for about 10 years, I had bought a 2001 Z28 Camaro, six months later a lady pulled out in front of my wife and the car was totaled, I bought a 2000 Camaro Z28 body to rebuild using my 2001 but it just wasn’t going to be the same, my brother in law wanted the Camaro and wanted to sell the Cutlass so after a little negotiating I traded the Camaro plus $2000 dollars for the Cutlass, I think I got the better deal!
Old May 27th, 2019, 10:21 AM

Spotted my U code 72 Supreme on CL😀
Old May 27th, 2019, 12:55 PM
Gary

I had a long-distance romance in the early 80s. I would see her every other week as part of my job in the plant where she worked. On one of my trips she presented me with the 1970 Vista that I still own. She knew I liked Vistas, found one in the Auto Trader, bought it and got it home.

Is it any wonder that I married her?
Old May 27th, 2019, 06:30 PM

Mine was my parents last car. It's a 1987 Delta 88 Royal.