General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

How did you get your Oldsmobile?

Search this Thread

Old July 11th, 2008, 05:45 AM

Originally Posted by Oldsguy
Pretty good story and nice looking car! Why is the engine orange?
Probably because that shade of orange means "WATCH OUT!!"

SO, How did I get my latest Olds?
Click the link below and see the picture show. Choose the "Georgia to Texas" set.

In a nutshell, I found her posted on craigslist after a 4 month search all over the country.
I found her in Hilton Head, SC. Anyone believe at "love at first sight"? I did...
Not because she was a 442 clone, but because of the near-perfect body... The new buckskin top, the engine completely resealed and many 'might as well' parts changed. The flawless engine and trans performance. The A/C worked (for only about 500 miles though...) The price - about the same as many other Cutlasses in need of rust repair and paint jobs. I do not have those skills so that was a huge plus.
I flew to Hilton Head and met the owner there. He showed me around and I toured the coast a day or so, from Georgia to North Carolina. I then hit Ashville and went to Chimney Rock Park. Then the Blue Ridge Parkway and the Smoky Mountains. Then, 900 miles back home in 13 hours.
I totalled over 1700 miles at about 19.8MPG in an old car whose reliability I knew nothing about. Pouring rain, mountains, beaches, deserted farm roads at 11pm, 85 on the Interstates in 95* heat with a 2-core radiator...
Would I do this kind of crazy adventure again??

You bet your a$$ I would!!!

The A/C is the only failure (and I kind of expected it...) I did not learn of the 2-core rad until I was home. She ran hot but not enough for the light to come on.
This weekend I am finally going to assemble the photo album of the trip. Maybe i will get the video put together as well...

Last edited by Lady72nRob71; July 11th, 2008 at 06:03 AM.
Old July 11th, 2008, 06:51 AM

Pretty good story and nice looking car! Why is the engine orange?

Good question eheh.. maybe the guy who I got it from was trying to re created a hurst olds engine (since they were reddish?) but honestly I don't know. When I go back to the states, I will get rid of the GA heads and plop on some C heads when I find some.. and also get rid of the edb. carb. Even though its a 455, I want to make it more stock looking. First thing painting the engine a correct bronze color
Old July 11th, 2008, 06:52 AM

Originally Posted by Lady72nRob71
Probably because that shade of orange means "WATCH OUT!!"

SO, How did I get my latest Olds?
Click the link below and see the picture show. Choose the "Georgia to Texas" set.

In a nutshell, I found her posted on craigslist after a 4 month search all over the country.
I found her in Hilton Head, SC. Anyone believe at "love at first sight"? I did...
Not because she was a 442 clone, but because of the near-perfect body... The new buckskin top, the engine completely resealed and many 'might as well' parts changed. The flawless engine and trans performance. The A/C worked (for only about 500 miles though...) The price - about the same as many other Cutlasses in need of rust repair and paint jobs. I do not have those skills so that was a huge plus.
I flew to Hilton Head and met the owner there. He showed me around and I toured the coast a day or so, from Georgia to North Carolina. I then hit Ashville and went to Chimney Rock Park. Then the Blue Ridge Parkway and the Smoky Mountains. Then, 900 miles back home in 13 hours.
I totalled over 1700 miles at about 19.8MPG in an old car whose reliability I knew nothing about. Pouring rain, mountains, beaches, deserted farm roads at 11pm, 85 on the Interstates in 95* heat with a 2-core radiator...
Would I do this kind of crazy adventure again??

You bet your a$$ I would!!!

The A/C is the only failure (and I kind of expected it...) I did not learn of the 2-core rad until I was home. She ran hot but not enough for the light to come on.
This weekend I am finally going to assemble the photo album of the trip. Maybe i will get the video put together as well...
cool story, and pretty much an adventure packed trip!!!
Old July 11th, 2008, 09:38 AM
Past Administrator

I only asked that question because it looked to me exactly like the orange that Chevrolet used to use. I have no qualms about painting an engine any color one wants, the 455 in my '46 project is green....
Old July 11th, 2008, 03:34 PM

I only asked that question because it looked to me exactly like the orange that Chevrolet used to use. I have no qualms about painting an engine any color one wants, the 455 in my '46 project is green....
no i agree, I just wanted to make it broze anyway. yeah, it is chevy orange I believe, I painted the 6 cyl in my 56 chevy the same color heh
Old July 17th, 2008, 07:47 PM
69CuttyS

My 69 Cutlass

Well, I was a Camaro man for many years; started with a 79 with a 305, then got a sweet, sweet 68 with a 350. Oh my, how sweet. I then ran into money issues, and had to dump it. Soon after, I got an 84 with another 305. Nice enough. Then got married, had kids; my muscle car days were over. After having a couple of kids and a few minivans (still have one), I asked the bride, in a "matter of fact" way, if I could get another muscle car. Surprisingly, she said yes, but only if it was a convertible. Not having the money, I dropped the idea. No longer interested in owning a Camaro or Firebird, I started dreaming of Chevelles. Really nice cars, but almost always way expensive. So what about a LeMans, a Buick... or a Cutlass? Found one right in town (Ottawa Canada), on usedottwaw.com of all places. Drivable shape, less than 10K. Okay, now I'm serious again. A buddy has a 69 convertible, and that's what this is. Only better: it's black (I'm a sucker for black 60's and 70's GMs). We go look at it in his 69. As soon as we see it, he says, "It's a 68". Turns out the hood and front end is actually from a 68. The VIN says it's a coupe. Okay, talk down the price a bit, and I have a drivable project car. It's mine now, and I'm very happy. Looking at a disk brake conversion, some mirrors, and a proper (69) am-fm radio. And of course, an endless list of things I'd like to do to it. Wife and kids like it too!
Old August 2nd, 2008, 08:22 PM

I'm a noob, but this isn't my first Olds. My first car was a 76 Olds 98...yeah, fins and all. It was my father's Oldsmobile . No kidding!! My next one was a 78 Cutlass with a vinyl roof. The heads cracked after the water pump blew. I traded it for a 72 Cutlass 4 door and later traded that one off for something else because it too had issues I was too young and stupid to deal with.

Just today, my SO and I (he'll be joining soon) rescued (literally) a 73 Olds Omega from a horse farm. The rocker panels are rusted through, it needs new rear skins, but the motor is in fantastic shape for it's age (under the permatex, anyway...It had been seriously rednecked). It needs a new shifter cable and a lot of TLC. She's pretty solid otherwise, and she's in the garage pretty much stripped down at the moment. We're waiting on the gasket sets to come in and the cleaning to be finished. We're going to drive it until winter, then build a new motor for it and put the original one up and keep it. Beyond that, we're still debating...

Last edited by angee; August 2nd, 2008 at 08:33 PM.
Old August 7th, 2008, 08:38 AM

my 98

I found my 1964 olds 98 on ebay. I was working on putting an engine in my daughters 2004 grand am with less than 100,000 miles on it and was getting frustrated on how much work it was, everything comes out under the car, and longed for the cars of my youth. I was telling my daughter how much easier it was back then working on my 66 cutlass convertible (my 1st car) and my 64 dynamic 88. I logged on to ebay to show her some pics and low and behold up popped a 64 olds 98 4dr with a starting bid of $400, no bids, and only a few minutes left. i quickly entered a bid of $500 and no one else bid on it....so I got it for $400. problem was it was in kansas and I was in michigan. I got my son who live in MO to borrow a trailer and go pick it up and take it back to MO and put it in storage for me. that was a mistake....the nearly flawless body ended up with a crease dent on the passangers side from the rear door all the way to the back of the car. there is no rust on the car at all. after being in storage for 2 years I finally went last year and brought her home. I put a battery in her and poured some gas in the carb and she fired up and after repeating a few times she ran and even idled. had to rebuild the wheel cylinders and replace the master to get her to stop. she smokes a little but I plan on a rebuild this fall. the options are power windows (even wing), power seats, factory cruise, tilt wheel, factory air, autronic eye, vacumm trunk opener, power antenna. the seats are a little worn, the body has no rust, never been in an accident, the chrome is excellent with the exception of the rear bumper (someone used the bumper jack on it more than once) the glass is all in great condition, power seats and windows all work, air and cruise do not yet work, dont know about the autronic eye yet, tranny shifts well. the car came with a folder with every repair invoice ever done to the car in it as well as a gas milage log and oil change log, and the original owners manual. been tinkering on her for the past year and am now ready to do the engine rebuild this fall. I dont know about the body, it's in such great original shape and i hate to lose that but the dent on the passangers side needs fixing, hate to put any bondo on her. need a rear bumper, and am going to have the seats redone as well as the headliner, glad I found this site.
oh well thats how I found mine, can you tell I'm geeked?

mike
Old August 7th, 2008, 12:35 PM
is Fast Enough ...

My car was found by a pal in a donation lot twenty years ago ...

It was in the weeds and as I've fixed it I find dead weeds everywhere ...

I've tried to get it since. I went over there to get a 72 olds drop-top ..

He said, would you rather have the 442 coupe ...

I said "yes" ...

I was a dif color and a handicapped vet owned it and it had special

levers and mounts ...
70442-1.jpg

on the way to buy I saw this , a good omen ...

hurst1.jpg

100_1157.jpg
Old August 7th, 2008, 12:36 PM
is Fast Enough ...

I drove it home ...

100_1164.jpg
Old August 7th, 2008, 12:43 PM

CIFNFA

I love it "Cash In Fist No Fooling Around"

Nice car
Old August 7th, 2008, 01:27 PM
is Fast Enough ...

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
CIFNFA

I love it "Cash In Fist No Fooling Around"

Nice car
I couldn't believe he sold it to me ...

a fistful of dollars always helps ...
Old August 7th, 2008, 04:10 PM

Please tell me those gold wheels aren't real 15" 69 H/O wheels
Old August 7th, 2008, 07:32 PM
Registered

Hello Wisconsin!

I always have liked wagons, had a few before of one sort or another. I was looking around for one and came to the conclusion the Vista Cruisers were pretty cool and different. I decided I had to have one and narrowed it down to '70-'72 Vista Cruisers since I'm familiar with the A bodies of that era and like the looks. I was searching the web and found a northern Ohio Olds club site with a few classifieds. There was an ad "1971 Vista Cruiser asking $2000" then the seller's name and phone number and city in Wisconsin, no e-mail. The seller had a friend of his that was in the club list it for him. I called the number and talked to the obviously elderly gentleman and he told me that everything worked and the car ran, hood had a little dent.
Apparently the guys son bought the car while he was in California and had it shipped to Wisconsin in '92 for a joint restoration project with his Dad, I guess they had a blue on blue Vista at one time. The car was put in storage then was in the Dads heated garage and ending up sitting for 15 years, nothing at all done to it. The guy told me his son lost interest and that he was planning on moving to Arizona and wanted it out of there, I didn't get into it anymore than that. They did buy lots of parts and put them in the back of the car, trim, power windows and locks, glass, rebuilt turbo 400 (the one in the car was also rebuilt) all kinds of good stuff. I found out all I could over the phone so I decided to drive up and look at it, about 8 hours away. My wife and I drove up on a Saturday and stayed at a motel close to the car, looked at the car Sunday morning. The house where the car was at was very nice with a lake and docks nearby, semi-rural area. When we arrived the guy came out, he was probably in his 70's, told me he immigrated here from Germany after the war. We went to the garage and there it sat, the car was rust free and complete and did start, otherwise it was pretty tired. The tires were stuck to the floor, two were original. He tried to back it up and the tread stayed stuck and the tire peeled away from it so no test drives. He did start the car once a week to keep the engine free, sludged it up pretty good but it did keep it turning. The hood did have a dent along with the core support and left fender had been through a couple of hits. He told me the guy who originally owned it had a woman pull out in front of him during a rainstorm in Los Angeles in '89. I checked and it was all cosmetic, frame looked good. Overall when you looked through the dirt and critter nests the car wasn't bad, nobody messed with it. I made a deal for the car and all the extra parts and we were both happy, he was a fun guy to haggle with. I gave him a deposit and we loaded up all the parts in my Astro van, filled the back. Before we left he told me he couldn't find the title and that he would try to get a duplicate, oh boy. I told him I would have the car picked up when he got the title straightened out or no deal, had it all in writing and notarized. It took a couple of weeks but one day he called up all excited because he had finally found the title, had his wife look. It was the original California pink slip and he never transfered it so I'm the second owner on paper, the original owner did sign and date it though. I was more than a little nervous at the title bureau. They faxed it to the main office to have them look at it, wondered if they were going to question why it took 15 years to transfer it but all turned out fine. I had the car transported, came with a bunch of new Jeeps. The driver picked up the Vista then a load of Jeep Compass vehicles, looked huge on the back of the hauler. The driver told me he could have fit three more Jeeps on if he didn't have the Vista. I drove the car a few miles home from where the hauler dropped it off. I couldn't believe the old guy had a buddy put on another nasty tire and drove it to the hauler to be picked up so why not? Plates expired 15 years ago, dry rotted tires, leaky carb, critter nests, strange fluids dripping, brakes sort of work, you can't ask for much more fun. I did get it home in one piece but it got me later, ever had a blowout on a car sitting in the garage at 3 in the morning? I had no idea what it was until I saw the car sitting on an angle in there, startled ain't the word for it. Geez! This is way too long!

Allan H

Pics of car in WI

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3046/...54d5ab039c.jpg
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3169/...05f9932bf1.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3286/2742300679_121d707f1e.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3149/...e77cbeabe9.jpg
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3247/...11832ee275.jpg
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3104/...b7b1310623.jpg
Old August 7th, 2008, 09:16 PM

got 71 cutlass "S" from my mom,she bought it new from the local dealer in town. fast forward to 1994 she finally got a new car and gave me the cutlass,with 228,000 on the clock..still runnin good, wife was driving it and rear-ended someone..i put it in storage.got a divorce, it was 2007 when i finally located a louvered hood, fixed the nose,disk brakes on front.was driving it 2 weekends ago...and rear ended a lady .....so its apart again...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
olds 024.jpg (38.2 KB, 25 views)
olds 019.jpg (34.9 KB, 26 views)
cars.jpg (45.0 KB, 32 views)
Old August 8th, 2008, 02:35 PM

I wish they were ! They are only 14's, so they will have to be changed ot if I ever get around to the disk upgrades that I'm dreaming about. I just love these smiley guys
Old August 8th, 2008, 09:11 PM
is Fast Enough ...

Originally Posted by csstrux
I wish they were ! They are only 14's, so they will have to be changed ot if I ever get around to the disk upgrades that I'm dreaming about. I just love these smiley guys

They have 14" disc brake wheels ...
Old August 8th, 2008, 11:42 PM
Neg

I was just looking online for a nice car that I could afford. I was thinking of getting either a '55 hudson hornet or a '57 bel air. I found a really nice hudson for $7,000. I put a $500 deposit on it. My dad started going online and looking at classic cars. Soon after I put the deposit on the hudson, he found a '55 ninety-eight. It was in nearly perfect condition on the inside, and the outside had a small dent and some rust. But it was only $4,250. When I saw it I hurried and canceled deal on the hudson (lost my $500 deposit) and bought the oldsmobile. $2,200 later it was repainted and had the rust/dent removed. Although I did really like the hudson, I've never regretted getting my oldsmobile.

Last edited by Neg; August 11th, 2008 at 12:58 AM.
Old August 11th, 2008, 05:31 AM

COOL... nothing els is factory on this pig! May be I'll get lucky and be able to run these.
Originally Posted by mugzilla
They have 14" disc brake wheels ...
Old August 14th, 2008, 09:09 PM

about 3 days ago I traded a wrecked '99 escort for the 66 delta. I can't believe a dealer traded me straight across. I had no idea what it was or what was under the hood when I stopped to look at her. But I have been hers ever since.
She isn't real pretty, been left alone in the weather for too long. But only 87k miles on her original. 2-door, 425, true duals........... mmmmm she sounds mean. sometime in the next month I will be driving her exclusively...
Old August 19th, 2008, 04:51 AM
Past Administrator

Wow, about the last six or seven stories are really interesting. I want to welcome all of you to our site and hope you enjoy participating here. Every story was really interesting and good. I think they all show us that dedication to a project is the first step in completing it some day, regardless of the time lapse between start and finish.
Old November 30th, 2008, 01:20 PM
doc

I found my '66 F-85 about 3-miles from the house.....I had a blast w/ my '67 Cutty 4-door & wanted another.
Old November 30th, 2008, 03:45 PM

OK How I got my Olds Custom Cruiser goes like this. I have been out of work since the winter of 2005 due to constant and severe Migrianes. Now when they strike I get all kinds of symptoms that make it so I shouldn't be driving. So I need a vehicle where I can lay down. In October of 2007 I got on disability. And With that I would get a settlement check dating back to 2005. But the Disability didn't kick in all at once. I didn't get the big check until 2008. Now all of this matter because we were barely if at all making ends meet with me out of work. Now we had a nice minivan but my wife was involved in a hit and run Christmas morning on the way to my parents house. Yes Christmas morning. And because of my migrianes I wasn't with her. I was at home hidding in a quiet dark room like most all times. She calls me crying and hysterical and I couldn't help her. I felt so helpless. I called my dad to go get her. Well the Van was totalled. My parents helped us get a Subaru wagon. The wife wanted something good in the winter. And while it was a wagon it didn't have enough room for me at 6'4" to lay down. Now we had seen the Cruiser sitting at the entrance to Merchant Square In Allentown On Vultee st. But with no money we couldn't get it. But once the settlement check came and after paying off old bills we went and got the wagon. The guy was asking $2000 which is still a mega deal. But it had been sitting a long time. So we offered $1500 and he took it and I took home the car. A car where If I was out alone(doesn't happen often) I could lay down. It had room to spare. It also has Dark tinted windows all around for my light sensitivity. I did get pulled over for the dark tint once and was written a ticket. But while the officer was writing the ticket I asked "what if I have a medical reason for the tint?" he responded that if I had a note from a doctor explaining why then he wouldn't be writing that ticket. So I got a court date and a note from my doctor. When I went to the court date I signed in with the secretary there and minutes later the officer came in asking for me and I showed him the note and he told the secretary to remove the ticket. Never even had to see a judge. The officer was very professional and nice both times I had to deal with him. So that is how I came to get my Olds Custom Cruiser.

ebay378.jpg

ebay377.jpg

Last edited by The Stickman; November 30th, 2008 at 04:17 PM.
Old November 30th, 2008, 04:04 PM

Now for the story of how we came to get my wife's Oldsmobile ChopTop Delivery Cutlass Cruiser wagon. We had been walking around Spring Carlisle swap meet and there was an isle close to the side of the grandstands where this car was sitting. There were some guys looking at it and we didn't want the want to be seen as to interested. So we did the next isle and came back. We looked at it and asked how much. If I remember He was asking $3500 i think. So we looked it over some more and then said we were going to think about it. So myself, my wife and a close friend walked around discussing the good and bad things about the car. We came back again to look it over and said we need to make a decission so more walking. We decided to offer $2500, although I think he would have taken $2000. We walked back made the offer and he asked if we had cash. We told him we could get some. So with that we walked to the building Carlisle has that does bank transfers or withdrawls and got the rest of the cash we needed plus what we would need for the tax, title, and registration. More walking back to the guy and the car. We handed him the cash and my wife and friend walked to the title and registration building while I sat in the car. She came back with the plate and off we drove. Now we live in Allentown which is 2 hours from Carlisle. And coming back rt 78 just west of Hamburg is a pretty rough stretch of Highway. Well I look in my rear view mirror to see the frontend of the wife's new car bouncing wildly up and down. It seems they must have cut or heated up the front springs way to much and it was bouncing off the bump stops. So a move to the smoother passing lane and things were better. Ofcourse after getting it home we found a slew of things that were done wrong(like the front springs) and realized that while the body work was good the car was far from perfect. But for the price I think we got a hell of a good deal. The car runs strong and looks good, and get's tons of looks.

100_0439.jpg

100_0450.jpg

100_0437.jpg

Last edited by The Stickman; November 30th, 2008 at 04:18 PM.
Old December 9th, 2008, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by tndrtgr
In 1970 my dad wanted to buy my mother a new car. He really liked the look of the Toronado. We all went down to the local dealership to look at the cars. We were walking around looking at the cars when I spotted her. I immediately got my father's attention and showed him the car. He said it was nice, but we are here to get your mother a car. I told him that with this car my mom could get my sister and I to school much faster than with the Toronado. He looked at the car and then looked at my mom. She said that she liked the look of this car better than the Toronado. So we drove home in 1969 Hurst Olds that has 12,000 miles on her. I told the salesman that the Hurst Olds was going to be my car when I grew up, of course I was only 5. When I was 9 years old my dad bought a Quarter Midget for my sister and I to race. We pulled it behind the H/O. Of course it was metallic gold. When I turned 16, I started driving it to school. In 1989, the Olds Dealer had a few of the local Oldsmobile Club's cars on display to kick off Hot August Nights. My car was parked on the ramp leading into the building. I was standing in the building with a group of people when I heard one salesman talking to another saying how he sold one just like that in 1970. He said that the buyer's daughter told him that someday that car would be hers. He said he often wondered what ever became of her and that car. I leaned over and said "I told you it would be mine someday!" Boy was he surprised.

The picture attached was taken in 1989 as I was driving through Washoe Valley, Nevada. I still have her and the only time she will be sold is at my estate sale. I have done all of the Body work and Paint on the car. The engine is the 3rd one. The engine blew sometime in the early 70's and was replaced through warranty (bad oil pump). In 1990 I was driving from Elko to Reno and grenaded the engine. One rod went through the oil pan and the other ate a 4" whole into the block (Parts made a great hard luck trophy for our club).

I hope to have her back on the road in the next 2 years. -M'Lisa
......So..?? What ever happened to the ORIGINAL..Side Mirrors..???
Old December 9th, 2008, 01:34 PM

....Nah..!! They have..TRIM RINGS...!!
Old December 16th, 2008, 08:29 PM
meoff

wow a lot of great storiesmy 70 goes back to when I was in high school and a friend I grew up with had it and deceided to yank the 350 and dump in a 455,well he brought it to me to install big block springs so the nose wasn't dragging the groundas I did and time went on and I spent a few years away in the military and was living the married life 1300 miles away.after the marriage went south came back home and started a business.ran into my buddy from the past and he wanted a estimate to replace his heating system in his house.when I showed up there sat the cutlass in the back yard grown up with weeds,etc.he said he parked when he hit a telephone pole.wiped out the hood,radiator support,and LF fender.vinyl top was hanging half way back from the wind shield and while it had been sitting someone stole the only good front fender that was leftover the next couple of days putting in his new heat and a/c I asked what he was going to do with the cutlass that's rotting away.he asked,why are you interested and my reply was yes if the price was right.well the following monday came by to finish up and he asked if still interested and replied yes. while we were drinking a couple cold ones that evening he said if I wanted the cutlass for myself then I could have itI was there with a flatbed trailer the next day loaded it up with a trusty winchhad been setting since 1991 and I picked it up 2003.brought A bottle of dry nitrogen to air up all 4 tires before loadingonce home yanked all the junk sheetmetal up front,put in a battery and no fire,pulled dist.cap and sanded points and fire.poured a little gas in carb and started and died.put fuel pump intake into a gas can and no fuel,put on new pump and fired up with no knocks etc.pulled into garage where it spent the next 4 years working on it as time permitted.pulled engine/trans and rebuilt,cleaned up engine compartment,reinstalled,picked up front sheetmetal etc.as money worked out.was a bench seat car but picked up buckets,console etc.have started bodywork and after working on it on and off for the last 5 years,got to drive itI had a smile on my face you couldn't knock off with a ballbat
jack

Old December 17th, 2008, 12:27 AM
Official Tire Kicker

I had just got out of the Navy and had a job driving 35 miles one way to work. At the time I was driving a 77 Trans Am with an Olds 455 from a Vist Cruiser in it, Black Jack headers, California turbo exhaust, traction bars and a 4/11 posi rear end. Needless to say the 4/11 was not a good fit for driving 70 miles a day so I started looking for another car. My cousin had just arrived in town from Colorado and needed some money. He offered to sell me his 69 Cutlass for 200 bucks and I jumped on it. I put LOTS of miles on that car, drove it across the country to San Diego when I got stationed there after rejoining the Navy. In 93? I was driving to work and got hit by an illegal with no drivers license or insurance. Car sat for 13 years in outside storage while I served overseas, upon return to San Diego I purchassed another 69 body and have started to rebuild it using my original as the donor.
Old December 17th, 2008, 05:13 AM
Past Administrator

Out of the Navy and then back in. I almost got out once but just stayed in.
Old December 17th, 2008, 06:17 AM
Past Administrator

You don't realize how much trouble we could get into for saying that. We couldn't even post pictures in the workplace.
Old December 17th, 2008, 07:21 AM
Trying to remember member

Originally Posted by The_Jeremiah
Wow, im 17, and i can honestly say i would kill to just witness gas prices that cheap. I was born in the wrong generation... lol at least thats what my father says. Ok seriously, im done spamming this thread now lol (sorry)
We are amazing close to that $1.19/gal now, so don't get homicidal!

Okay, I'll keep this thread going. Like Joe asked. "Which one?"
If someone picks for me, I'll tell!
http://wmachines.shubes.net
Old December 17th, 2008, 08:16 AM
Nothing new beats an Olds

I got my '54 Olds 88 from a fellow in Chicago who posted it in a collectors car catalog. Only wanted $1500.00 for it - the kicker was, I live about 200 miles from Chicago and the car's brakes were shot, so I had to hire a carrier to get it down here. Everything went right up to the last second as several carriers backed out and couldn't do the job. One of them cancelled at the last second when he realized that the width of his carrier was about 4 inches too short.

Anyway, I finally found a guy who did a superb job of transporting the car. It was primered grey when I got it, so I proceeded to bone up on auto painting and did my first paint job early this year (which came out pretty good for a first timer, after hours of wetsanding.)

I replaced the master cylinder and now am in the process of getting the heads rebuilt, as it burned a little oil.

This is the year I hope to have everything done and be able to drive it!

Old December 17th, 2008, 04:07 PM

Great looking car 54olds.
Old December 17th, 2008, 04:27 PM

January 1981 I bought my 70 Supreme from my sister-in-law and her husband for $75. It had sat in their grove of trees for a year. A battery, 4 tires and a shifter cable and I drove it for 3 yrs. Then decided to go racing, started out mid 14s and now runs mid 10s. This has been a learning/fun experience. Had the car sold 3 yrs ago but I couldn't do it and backed out. This has become my obsession and I like it that way!

May18CFR005.jpg
Old December 17th, 2008, 05:40 PM

My Olds

I had been searching for my first car for almost a year. I had been searching for something 60's or early 70's GM, but as I searched and came up with nothing. My search got less presise untill I was finally willing to settle for a mid 80's monte carlo, cutlass, or buick gs.
I went out across the state (Im in CT) to look at a 84 Monte with a 305. It turns out the guy had it as a low rider hydrolics and all, then tried to put it back together, with sloppy results.
But as fate would have it, on the way back home I spotted something out in front of a place called Chic's Garage. I figured it would be too much, but it was worth a look. Turns out it was in good condition with 58000 miles on it, and it was in my pricerange (which doesn't happen often when your a high school student with a part time job).
So this spring of 08' I picked up my 1963 F-85 Cutlass. I was king of the school parking lot for the remainder of my senior year. Not bad for a first car.

Not too bad for a first car nowadays, so have faith, not all of us teenagers wanna drive imports with 20 inch rims.

-Ryan
Old December 17th, 2008, 07:45 PM

i got a good story for you guys with my 69 f-85...

i was heading home from the hospital ( my sister had a daughter) and i just happened to be driving along and a deer popped out.. so obviously i would swurve the deer, i ended up in the front lawn of a house.. while looking for a safe way out a car with white stripes caught my eye, well after giving the guy a few good marks in his lawn i figuared i should book it and come back another day.. the next day i went back and banged on the door. asked the guy about the car.. he said he dident know much but that his best friend was the orginal owner, and gave him the car to let his son play with.. well the mans son moved out and lost interest.. and i asked if he would sell it.. i guy said sure.. i asked how much he wanted and we negotiated on $600.00 neither of us knowing what the car really was.. need less to say a good deal.. i came back with a trailor.. and i jumped in and it fired right up, brought it home.. numbers mathcing.. 69 f-85 all orginal w-31... with all the orginal purchase cards in the glove box not known to me at the purchase time.. factory air... and factory stripes, orginal paint.. the goodys..
Attached Images
cutlass.jpg (76.4 KB, 50 views)
cutlass2.jpg (49.2 KB, 41 views)
Old December 17th, 2008, 07:45 PM
Land Yacht Skipper

Don't Look Back

In 2001 A co-worker was told by to clean out the garage by his wife.

He Asked around the office if anyone wanted to buy an old convertible car he had to get rid of.

I was going thru a mid-life crisis and always wanted an big old convertible to criuse in, so I went to see it.

It turned out he had a 67 Buick Skylark Convertible that he owned new since he was 16 (silver spoon type). It Needed work and a top and sat for about 5 years. But we could never agree a price. ( I don't think he really wanted to sell it, 1st kiss and all)

So I searched the web to see what his car was going for and came across a 1969 Olds 98 Convertible, just 10 miles away. New ad so I called and went to see it the next morning. Boy the car was sweet, everything working power everything. Even a working factory 8Track. A few scatches and one skirt banded up. I small tear in rear seat.

The seller was 75 years old and ailing, couldn't drive and his wife said it was to big. He was the second owner, he bought in 73. Original dealer was in same town. Still had dealership manual holder, manuals and the little tag that hung on RearView mirror from when it was new, It told you how to Cold Start and Warm Start your car.

1 hour of test driving and $5500 later it was in my driveway the same day.

Didn't spend a nickel on it for 6 years, exept oil n gas. Summer cruising delight.

Last year put on wheels on it. Now Rebuilding the 455, putting on Dual Exhaust and disks.

Next year Paint.

I have had many offers to buy. But its not about the $$.
Old December 18th, 2008, 06:08 PM
Trying to remember member

Originally Posted by Willy69f85
i got a good story for you guys with my 69 f-85...

i was heading home from the hospital ( my sister had a daughter) and i just happened to be driving along and a deer popped out.. so obviously i would swurve the deer, i ended up in the front lawn of a house.. while looking for a safe way out a car with white stripes caught my eye, well after giving the guy a few good marks in his lawn i figuared i should book it and come back another day.. the next day i went back and banged on the door. asked the guy about the car.. he said he dident know much but that his best friend was the orginal owner, and gave him the car to let his son play with.. well the mans son moved out and lost interest.. and i asked if he would sell it.. i guy said sure.. i asked how much he wanted and we negotiated on $600.00 neither of us knowing what the car really was.. need less to say a good deal.. i came back with a trailor.. and i jumped in and it fired right up, brought it home.. numbers mathcing.. 69 f-85 all orginal w-31... with all the orginal purchase cards in the glove box not known to me at the purchase time.. factory air... and factory stripes, orginal paint.. the goodys..
I don't mean to try to squash your pride and the love of your new Olds, and from what I can see it looks nice. *But*
It is definitely not a W-31. Not with that factory A/C. Can't be sure about the paint, but the stripes are definitely not original either.
Again, not to be rude, but what numbers match what? I can't see enough to tell if it is an F-85 or a Cutlass, or what.
If you'd like to post all the info you have (body tag info, VIN, those "purchase cards") , we can help you properly indentify your Olds. Regardless, you surely got more than your money's worth!
Old December 18th, 2008, 08:26 PM

i was actually looking for a model a to build a rat rod and i saw what i thought was a 56 chevy bel aire and after seeing it asked the old man and like all junkers he only wanted to get rid of the a model so i kept bugging him for the next 2 weeks because i liked the body lines better than chevy he finally priced her 2 me $400 i was like a bear to honey i called everyone i knew w a car trailer and the rest is history really like this site just wish i knew where 2 get floor pans and a hood
Old December 19th, 2008, 09:25 PM
Registered Luser

Well, I'll start with the '72 which I've had the longest. When I was a kid in the mid 70's, I had a fire chief match box car 442. It was my favorite car and I swore one day I would own a real one. 20 yrs later I saw a car with no plate and for flats with lots of hidden rust melting in someone's driveway. It was a '72 Cutlass. (not a 442 but...). I struck a deal and dragged the thing home. 7yrs and an extra wife later it was "frame-on" restored. Funny thing is, this past year I had my 20yr reunion and a guy I went to school with brought up a time when him and I were racing down a "strip" next to the school ( I had a '77 Buick Century he had a '72 Cutlass) and he kicked up a rock and broke my windshield. Turns out the car he was beating my buick with that day is the Cutlass I now own todayI just found that out!

My '65 Vista came about because of the '72. One day a bunch of guys were out looking at it and I mentioned "I really would like to find a Vist Cruiser!" The guys looked at each other and started laughing and said they new a guy a couple towns away who had one in his garage for sale. After alot of bugging I finally was able to get a hold of this guy to go look at this car. I went down an d as soon as I saw it and heard the story of it I knew I had to have it. This guy owns a junkyard in Brooklyn and one morning he's sitting there with a line of flatbeds dwn the street going into one of the other yards where there's a shredder. He sees this Vista up on this flatbed and runs out there and asks the driver if he has paperwork. The driver says yes , money is exchanged and the car is saved. The car sits around the junkyard for a while 'till he decides to take it home. His wife won't go near it! She says it looks like a hearse. He has to get it out of here. That's where I come in. By the way, the car has 49,000 orig mi , protct-plate oil change stickers everywhere and interior is mint. Windows had BLUE TINT on BOTH sides, stickers all over it that said vote for somebody or other (the whole car was covered) and megaphone speakers all over the roof(yes screwed in). Apparently a campaign car of some kind. Car was it's whole life in Conn. The Guy peeled all the stickers off and took off the speakers. I bought it.

My '63 Fiesta I found on e-bay. It was at like $3600 with 3 days left and I went to look at it in person. It had been in this guy's garage since '98 and he never put it on the road because it needed a heater core and he thought the tranny was slipping. He was buying a new car and needed the space. I said, "How much cash to end this right now?" , he said, "$2,000". I said " you got higher bids than that and 3 days left". He said "well nobody has shown up with any money yet" Needless to say I'm not stupid. And I wasn't going to educate him any further on how e-bay works so I bought it. He even let me keep it in the garage until I could get it out of there. Story is he bought it from the original owner's daughter who nad it in her garage, undriven, since '73 when her father died. He was the original owner. A Nassau detective making $650 a wk in the early 70's(I found a pay stub under the seat. By the way...42,000 orig mi.

Last and certainly least is the '67 c/s convert to rust! I bought it sight unseen from a family "friend". Nuff said!Sorry I'll try to post some pics when I can find them!
Attached Images
halloween06 077.jpg (77.8 KB, 27 views)
65 vista.jpg (70.7 KB, 22 views)
72 cut.JPG (90.6 KB, 22 views)

Last edited by ent72olds; December 20th, 2008 at 07:36 PM. Reason: need better pics

Quick Reply: How did you get your Oldsmobile?